Options

Most comfortable quick-detach neckstrap w/o tripod mount?

babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
edited October 21, 2012 in Accessories
So I've been going strap-less for quite some time now, but I want to invest in a strap to help with carrying the cameras...
I don't like the Nikon provided straps because they're too thin with almost zero padding.

I'm looking for a wide strap with some padding that can also quick-detach, WITHOUT it having to go on the tripod mount.. I know... I'm asking alot! :cry

Does anyone have any suggestions??
-Mike Jin
D800
16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
It never gets easier, you just get better.

Comments

• Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2012
    OP/TECH Pro Strap - It has just the right amount of bounce to make carrying you camera less tiring.
    I use mine with the sling adapter for a cross body carry
    I use the uniloops option that come with the sling adapter
    I also use the dual harness, but I needed to add the extensions to use the short uniloops on my cameras.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 3, 2012
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    OP/TECH Pro Strap - It has just the right amount of bounce to make carrying you camera less tiring.
    I use mine with the sling adapter for a cross body carry
    I use the uniloops option that come with the sling adapter
    I also use the dual harness, but I needed to add the extensions to use the short uniloops on my cameras.

+1 on the Op/Tech Pro Strap. I use the original with the 3/8" connector system. I can easily interchange a camera from a Pro Strap into the Op/Tech Dual-Harness in just a few seconds, making the system extremely versatile. It's also among the most affordable of all systems available.

A couple of videos:

http://youtu.be/gazDeqkBI-s
    http://youtu.be/v7zWH9qkiYs
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited October 3, 2012
    +1 on the Optech pro. Being able to detach it for using a tripod is s precisely why I bought it to replace my Crumpler Industry Disgrace (which is even more comfortable). Just note if you order one that there are two lengths of the side straps. I ordered the default, which was then the shorter ones, and had to place a second order for the longer ones. However, I am puzzled by one thing. The pro loop strap uses a long connector on each side, while several of the other optech harnesses use very short ones. It would be a real pain to replace those in the field, as it takes some time to get the loops through the fittings on the camera.
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2012
    Hmm I took a look at the OPtech and I like it, but the loop/sling looks a bit cumbersome, because you have to un-do the loop on the camera to change to the sling..
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited October 4, 2012
    babowc wrote: »
    Hmm I took a look at the OPtech and I like it, but the loop/sling looks a bit cumbersome, because you have to un-do the loop on the camera to change to the sling..

I am not familiar with the Op/Tech Pro Loop system, but the 3/8ths strap system is just seconds to change.

Here is what I have and I highly recommend the system for its versatility, comfort and cost, and it seems very secure as well.

http://www.adorama.com/OTPSBK.html?gclid=CKTdgaGP6LICFe5FMgodkUwASQ
    http://www.adorama.com/OTDHR.html
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited October 4, 2012
    I have always liked the Tamrac N-45 quick release padded leather straps. I don't use the quick release much, but does come in handy at times. Usually for getting the strap on the right side of my monopod after I realize I screwed up. I like looping the narrow part of the strap around my hand when shooting on the monopod. ...just makes me feel safer for some reason. lol

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/112416-REG/Tamrac_N4501_N_45_Universal_Quick_Release.html

I find them pretty comfy, though at times have thought about some sort of harness system for at least one camera when I don't need the long telephoto and just wandering around the paddock or pit lane with the 70-200 and the 17-35 on my bodies.
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    babowc wrote: »

There are 2 different options for the OP/TECH straps, either the 3/8 strap or the uniloop(either short or long attachment). Once you pick one type of connector, you stick with it, and just swap strap options with the latch.

I use the short uniloops, as they are mostly out of the way when I am not attached to a strap, like when on my tripod:

CameraZOOM-20121004195319495.jpg

Here is my OP/TECh stuff:
    A fashion strap that I do not recommend for a dslr with a big lens
    A pro strap
    A dual harness
    All ready to swap with the short uni-loop connector.

CameraZOOM-20121004195156631.jpg
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    Canon CPS strap. :D

Sam
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    Canon CPS strap. :D

Sam

Which is made by Optech (look at the logo on the plastic clips) :D

+1 on the Optech system from me, too. In fact, I just got my CPS stuff and was pleased to see it gives me another Optech strap!

Also, note that if you do buy from Optech, their "sidewalk sale" Items are exactly as described; great way to save a few pennies if you don't mind very minor cosmetic anomalies on your strap thumb.gif
  • Options
    wibubbawibubba Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    BlackRapid Straps
  • Options
    TybradTybrad Registered Users Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    OP/Tech is kinda bouncy if you're on the jog or run- I used to use them. My money is now on a Promaster Pro Contour padded strap (does not stretch so much)... and IT is on my camera. QR down near the lugs.

fyVMtP8A

http://www.precision-camera.com/promaster-contour-pro-camera-strap-all-colors/
  • Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    After previous hikes with the manufacturer's straps on my camera, I tried the Op/Tech utility strap/sling. I set it up as a cross-body sling and I am amazed at the improvement. I may switch to the pro system for more comfort, but the improvement with the utility system is substantial. I really like how the quick disconnect works when I am using a tripod. Also, the connector slides up the strap when I raise the camera to my eye--the whole strap doesn't lift. I wasn't sure I would like that, but it works well. I am very happy with this system. I had seen the Black Rapid strap before and was tempted, but the fact that I would have to completely remove it to use the tripod decided me against it. I am using a D90. I was hiking with either the kit 18-105 or the Tokina 12-24 attached. I don't know how it would work with a heavier lens--probably the pro system would be better.
    ~~Barbara
  • Options
    andavitaandavita Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited October 21, 2012