Options

D800 action shooting

chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited December 13, 2012 in Technique
...I've had my D800 since June and have shot maybe 4000 images in a sports-type environment...basically band kids on (sometimes) marginally lit football fields. Now, the camera handles the lighting conditions admirably, but I can't seem to decide exactly which focus mode is best. The majority of my shots have been spot focus with release/focus priority; decent results here. But I've also played around with 3d...results in the hmmmmmm range, in other words I really don't know if it's any better or worse. Anyone out there shooting sports with a D800? If so, how do *you* approach focusing?
Charlie Groh
(tin can tied to the bumper)

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2012
    I shoot tons of sports with the D800.. for me:

AF-C
    Single point, 9 point, occasionally 21-point
    release priority

I've used the 3D mode a couple of times, and when it works, it's great. For solo stuff, it will likely work well. I used it when shooting pole vaulters. I'd imagine golfers, tennis players, solo cyclist, etc., would be good to. I tried it for birding on the D7000 and felt it struggled, but haven't shot any birding on the D800 yet.
  • Options
    chasgroh2chasgroh2 Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
    edited October 22, 2012
    I shoot tons of sports with the D800.. for me:

AF-C
    Single point, 9 point, occasionally 21-point
    release priority

I've used the 3D mode a couple of times, and when it works, it's great. For solo stuff, it will likely work well. I used it when shooting pole vaulters. I'd imagine golfers, tennis players, solo cyclist, etc., would be good to. I tried it for birding on the D7000 and felt it struggled, but haven't shot any birding on the D800 yet.

...ah, my instincts lean this way, too, so thanks for the verification! I think your assessment of 3D is on the mark, also. I've gone back and forth with "release" vs "release/focus" priority ever since I started this type of shooting, using "release/focus" makes life easier when processing (I don't flag images, I just go through 'em because with this level of equipment success in exposure is usually a given and cropping gives me a high keeper rate) but I haven't tried strict "release" priority yet with the D800...so that's on th agenda. Again, thanks for the input!
    Charlie Groh
    (tin can tied to the bumper)
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited December 13, 2012
    headscratch.gif ^ What the... ^ eek7.gif