Mini-challenge #153: Black and white in full color

ALXCARALXCAR Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
edited November 1, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Thank you to Alan grin to be the host for the last one “Illustrated Motion” http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=227415

The title may get a bit confusing. This mini challenge is about of white or black objects in a black or white environment, but in FULL colour.
This challenge is about your eye to spot a black and white picture.

So, is making pictures which will give the appearance of a Black and white picture but in full colour.

The end day for uploading pictures will be the 31-10-2012 at 12.00 am (UK hours)

Of course would be nice if you could comment in a few lines about the picture and the behind camera / post editing.

ALXCAR

drop close.jpg
A L X C A R

www.alxcar.co.uk

Comments

• ALXCARALXCAR Registered Users Posts: 27 Big grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    edited October 17, 2012
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    cool

0200-00730029%25206-3-2009%252011-05-25%2520PM.JPG

White sand or (in this case) snow is always good for this. Photo taken 1958 with Kodak Retina Reflex - slide film, digitized - of the dorm where I spent 3 years, and which no long exists in the real world. The only editing done was to straighten it as it was a little crooked

x62329_14.JPG

Backlighted - taken 1998 with a point and shoot camera in Belize - print film, digitized. Was taken with panaromic setting which does not expose the top and bottom of the film frame, so editing restricted to cutting the borders off. There's so little natural color in this photo that I darkened it a little to see if I could see more.

fThompson100_7741.JPG

2011 - Kodak DX6490 - digital, Grand Bahama Island, Pinder's Point Cemetery

Small amount of cropping done on this one (there was a bit of grass on the edge) and a little bit of lighening.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    Well, I probably goofed up my original entries, maybe these are closer to what belongs.

1) Taking off

IMG7033-swan-glow-XL.jpg

2) Flight

IMG5233-3-XL.jpg

3) Lots of swans

IMG2088-large-group-XL.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited October 17, 2012
    Updated... Cleared out the "old school" stuff. Time to step up my game. D5100 today.

1)A nearby "Target of opportunity!! :-P
    gull2.jpg

2)Sunset on stones by the intercoastal waterway. Straight out of the camera. Cropped square.
    DSC_0695.JPG

3)Took advantage of the storm and the overcast today.
    DSC_0146.jpg
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • kdotaylorkdotaylor Registered Users Posts: 1,274 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    This is a fun one!
    i-vmdrTMk-L.jpg
    i-8hSgXT9-L.jpg

3.i-T5dMgLf-L.jpg
    Kate
    www.katetaylor.smugmug.com
    "You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." Mark Twain
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    1) Snow Ridge Bouquetin

IMG9242-XL.jpg

Taken in the New Guard House - Berlin - There is a round hole in the ceiling through which daylight enters.
    I found this image of the interior wall more interesting than the resident statue (oops!). Colour is as shot.

2) The Wall.

IMG6162-XL.jpg

3) Landing Failure

IMG7706-XL.jpg

Good luck everyone,

Alan.
  • TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited October 19, 2012
    A most inventive challenge, and a bit tough for me 'cuz I seem to be forever trying to get color INTO my images - not the reverse! ;)

Still, the challenge truly made me look at my collection of images with a wholly new eye, and though I didn't have much of a choice, I managed to come up with a few that at least convey the spirit I think ALXCAR is after:

1) "La Dia de Dos Noches" - Costa Rica, 1991. Though a hint of color in those sweet "Bailey's Beads", nonetheless I believe this meets the b/w in color criteria (besides, I'm so darn PROUD of it, that I couldn't resist!) ;) For the particulars (which proved considerable) - see http://www.travelnlass.com/2011/03/random-photo-memory-total-solar-eclipse.html

EclipseBaileysBeads-L.jpg

2) Another not utterly devoid of color, but I think it still "reads" black/white. Jerusalem, 2010
    JerusalemCandles-L.jpg

3) Just a glimpse of the back end of a ferry off the coast of Long Island a few years ago.

LongIslandBoat-L.jpg

Hope I uploaded the image links right!

Dyanne
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
    edited October 19, 2012
    Hi every one!

A very good selection of pictures and good effort so far...
    I am looking for pictures that they are naturally black and white. They would give you the appearance of a b/w picture without any post-processing or conversion.

If you can get the picture in pure whites/blacks even better!!. That is what is all about, your ability to see and take a picture in b/w with out converting it.

look for shadows, or white/black stones or a painted face of mimo clown, snow... be imaginative

As it may be some people was confused, you are allowed to change your pictures.
    And if you can, get out and take a new shoot! :)

ALXCAR
    A L X C A R

www.alxcar.co.uk
    edited October 19, 2012
    ALXCAR wrote: »
    Hi every one!

A very good selection of pictures and good effort so far...
    I am looking for pictures that they are naturally black and white. They would give you the appearance of a b/w picture without any post-processing or conversion.

If you can get the picture in pure whites/blacks even better!!. That is what is all about, your ability to see and take a picture in b/w with out converting it.

look for shadows, or white/black stones or a painted face of mimo clown, snow... be imaginative

As it may be some people was confused, you are allowed to change your pictures.
    And if you can, get out and take a new shoot! :)

ALXCAR

I think I got the concept, but if not, I'd like to know because I have others I could use for this. I must admit I tend to like the ones that have some meaning for me over and above what the topic is. Like TravelnLass and the eclipse photo (which I love), I couldn't resist the photo of my old dorm.
    edited October 21, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »
    I think I got the concept, but if not, I'd like to know because I have others I could use for this. I must admit I tend to like the ones that have some meaning for me over and above what the topic is. Like TravelnLass and the eclipse photo (which I love), I couldn't resist the photo of my old dorm.

Yes, you got the concept.
    But if you think you have a better example on this subject, go for it!
    It may have some meaning on those pictures for you, but it could maybe be a special meaning for somebody on those you are discarding...
    A L X C A R

www.alxcar.co.uk
    edited October 21, 2012
    Yes, you got the concept.
    But if you think you have a better example on this subject, go for it!
    It may have some meaning on those pictures for you, but it could maybe be a special meaning for somebody on those you are discarding...

My criteria is - if I make the photo into a black and white photo, I have to look hard at the color photo to see that it is the color version and not the black and white version - if that is true, then it will work for this challenge.
  • kentwallerkentwaller Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited October 21, 2012
    hard to compete with those swans, but here are a few anyways :)

1. theatiner church in munich
    IMG195879Localtone-L.jpg

2. the moon
    IMG5232-L.jpg

3. farm in snow
    IMG5958-L.jpg
  • jwngreenjwngreen Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    Here are my entries, C&C welcome and appreciated!

Outside a tattoo parlor in Philadelphia - Canon 5Dc, Canon 40mm f/2.8 STM
    i-wMTn2nb-L.jpg

Typewriter - Canon T2i, Canon 28mm f/1.8
    i-JcXtVvQ-L.jpg

Guinness Brewery, Dublin - Canon T2i, Canon 50mm f/1.8
    i-4BN4g86-L.jpg
    edited October 24, 2012
    Lots of great entries here - I especially like the old typewriter (or...adding machine or...???) jwngreen. btw, the "got ink"? question izzz - did you get the tattoo?

Me? I'm off to set toes in the Land of Oz (first visit!) soon, so may not have such handy access for the next month, but will try to pop in to see what's up when I can. (Note that I'm not least bit worried that I might be selected to receive the #154 Mini-challenge torch, so no conflict of interest should I not be able to check in frequently here...) ;)

And meanwhile... I can only hope that the next challenge's theme involves... uh, "animals that JUMP" perhaps? ;)
    TravelnLass.com
  • jwngreenjwngreen Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    TravelnLass:

Thanks for the positive feedback! Now that I look at it I think you are right about it being some sort of adding machine, I took the photo a year or so ago and obviously my memory isn't as sharp as I thought.

Didn't get a tattoo, it was about 3am at that point, but I definitely need to go back and check it out during the day (if I can find it since it was a random walk through Philadelphia).

Your eclipse photo is incredible; I just loaded up your page to read through how you did it.

Have a great time down under, that's one of the places that is still on my list... one day.
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    same
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited October 25, 2012
    Lots of great entries here - I especially like the old typewriter (or...adding machine or...???) jwngreen. btw, the "got ink"? question izzz - did you get the tattoo?

Me? I'm off to set toes in the Land of Oz (first visit!) soon, so may not have such handy access for the next month, but will try to pop in to see what's up when I can. (Note that I'm not least bit worried that I might be selected to receive the #154 Mini-challenge torch, so no conflict of interest should I not be able to check in frequently here...) ;)

And meanwhile... I can only hope that the next challenge's theme involves... uh, "animals that JUMP" perhaps? ;)

Hi TravelnLass,

Loved the eclipse and the amusing blog. As a long time follower of science and tech ... you have taught me something today - I did not know what caused the Baily's beads and seeing yours I had to look it up. Nice to see the pink chromosphere as well. I also liked your classic diamond ring shot on the blog.

Enjoy Oz, quite jealous! I've never been, but will be going in 2014. Next year is a good chunk in France, Istanbul and big Safari in Kenya and Tanzania. Oz will have to wait!

Alan

PS - Kenya Airways hand luggage size allowance is currently doing my head in! 20cm max width is not very wildlife photographer friendly! I'm going to have to put out a few cries for help.
    edited October 25, 2012
    davev wrote: »
    Well, I probably goofed up my original entries, maybe these are closer to what belongs.

2) Flight
    IMG5233-3-S.jpg

One word - "stunning"

Alan.
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    193307130_67qcH-M.jpg

242353212_TDP8X-M.jpg

120855840_B8BV2-M.jpg
    Growing with Dgrin

• davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    One word - "stunning"

Alan.

Thanks Alan.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
    edited October 26, 2012
    WOA! iwear - I'm uterly SPEECHLESS! Absolutely BREATHTAKING!
    TravelnLass.com
    edited October 26, 2012
    Really, very nice shoots here!!
    Just one small thing; this theme is for white and black colours, natural FROM the camera without converting / transforming to a black and white or grey palette... like the keys of a piano.

ALXCAR
    A L X C A R

www.alxcar.co.uk
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2012
    gone
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited October 26, 2012
    Really, very nice shoots here!!
    Just one small thing; this theme is for white and black colours, natural FROM the camera without converting / transforming to a black and white or grey palette... like the keys of a piano.

ALXCAR

Just curious ALX - that you should post such a reminder... seems to me that all the (FABULOUS!) entries so far indeed are b/w FROM the camera, no?
    TravelnLass.com
    edited October 26, 2012
    There's one that I would have questioned myself but can't figure out how to ask the question.
    edited October 26, 2012
    Just curious ALX - that you should post such a reminder... seems to me that all the (FABULOUS!) entries so far indeed are b/w FROM the camera, no?

You and GrandmaR have questioned how one might tell under this strange but interesting challenge. Without getting too technical, it is possible to copy any photo posted here into photoshop and check all the pixels (dots) to see if they are totally grey, or shades of - ie not just "looks grey", but absolutely absent mathematically devoid of any colour at all! In the new digital world that means ABSOLUTELY equal quantities of Red, Green and Blue - and that is very rare in the real world.

Nearly all digital photos are processed to some extent either in the camera (if a jpeg shoot) or post processed - for example white balance compensation to compensate for the colour of the ambient lighting - not unusual. However, in any event, regardless what is done in camera or post process, without a deliberate converting to BW it is unlikely you will end up with a very cold mathematically NO colour or tint at all, ie equal Red, Green and Blue (to make grey) values in every dot.

I'm not making a call on the lovely piano shot (I really like it) but I own a piano and three electric keyboards and even in the best of circumstances shooting them I have never been able to absolutely remove the colour of the ambient light (my walls are yellow, the sky is blue) or the "Ivory" completely to give a ABSOLUTELY greyscale Black through to White image. It is also unusual for photoshop to refuse to convert an image to B&W because it already coldly mathematically is.

Not being judgemental, just being technical for a mo - the Piano shot is great and I'm a sucker for quality music shots and I really like this one so don't really care! Just a misunderstanding I suspect.

Alan.
    edited October 27, 2012
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    You and GrandmaR have questioned how one might tell under this strange but interesting challenge. Without getting too technical... ...In the new digital world that means ABSOLUTELY equal quantities of Red, Green and Blue - and that is very rare in the real world.
    Alan.

Thanks for the techno lesson Alan. Of course it's easy-peasy to pull down the saturation to zip in your graphics software, but it never occurred to me that the result in pure shades of gray would be EQUAL parts RGB. Well duh!

I'm also wondering... isn't it possible with some digital cameras via some setting to... shoot originals in b/w?

But again, for an (albeit most friendly) challenge like this, that would be a no-no, and the proof would be... in the RW, there's always at least a smidge of color from ambient light, and that would topple a perfectly equal RGB

Interesting. Learn sumptin' new each and every day... ;)
    TravelnLass.com
  • WABWAB Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2012
    Walt Disney Concert Hall
    A perfect place for a challenge like this
  • WABWAB Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 27, 2012
    Patial solar eclipse shadows on garage door.
    Shadows during the eclipse were all shaped like crescent moons. Can't explain the shadowy figure on the left but it was there in 3 other shots