Options

Headshots: Bev

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited November 3, 2012 in People
C&C Always welcome!

Had fun with this sweetheart of a soprano yesterday - first full shoot with the 5dII. Still finding my way around the new beast, but by and large very pleased. It must be said, too, that when I have to shoot in my small living room FF is MUCH easier! It also means my 85 1.8 is becoming my go-to lens indoors - it's a much better lens than the 50 1.4, so no complaints from me... :D

1. This is the only one she's seen so far and she loved it :)

i-pRT8Ff5-L.jpg

i-SWBbsng-L.jpg

3. I have no idea why I like this shot as much as I do, but despite the weird crop (it came out of camera that way - I took a little off the bottom, but nothing off the sides) her connection into the lens really engages me and I think I like the way the bokeh areas lead you right into the sharp eye. Maybe. Dunno. I may change my mind in the morning and decide I hate it! :rofli-k2tPWNJ-L.jpg

4. I went way over the top retouching this one and beefing up the makeup, but I kinda dig it. I wish she had just a tad more smile on her lips but, again, the connection to camera grabbed me. It wasn't easy to get a range of expressions out of her - she was easy to pose, but she did tend to have a very specific "picture smile" and it was hard to get anything else even with my usual tricks...

i-vsF2d2f-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    I also like the last one best. But, I can see why she likes the first one - it makes her appear slimmer than any of the others and that may be important to her.

And, since she likes that first one, you might be able to use that as a coaching tool to get different smiles out of her.
  • Options
    Bryce WilsonBryce Wilson Registered Users Posts: 1,586 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    I gonna give a BIG vote to number one. I think the pose/light flatters her face more than the others. She looks very relaxed, professional and approachable all at the same time. What more could one want from a headshot?

To me, and it might just be me, the others look "glamourish". I'm not sold on her being that type of person.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    These are all personal opinions but I love 2 &4. 1 is too vertical for my likes.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2012
    I love it when everybody picks a different set in the series, since it means I nailed things for different tastes, which is one of my goals :D Thanks guys!!

Scott, session is now over - short of a catastrophe, I don't re-shoot so no chance to work with her again. I think there are plenty of choices for her among the proofs she'll get, so hopefully she'll find one she likes. She's only seen #1 so far and really liked it, so there's at least one to please her thumb.gif

Bryce, you raise a really interesting point: I agree with you, she IS a more casual gal hence why my first run of shots were outside in the outfit she turned up in:

i-QGbZwRF-L.jpg

HOWEVER... she's an opera singer, and even though Operaland has relaxed to a bit more casual in recent years, there are still expectations of some degree of "diva glamour", particularly for program images etc (and she does a lot of concert work). I admit I went whole hog on the makeup retouch in the last one, but it does still look like her and could well fill a need for her. Even in my "basic" shoot (she chose the shorter package, so we only had about 45 minutes or so) we managed to do some outdoors in a jean jacket, a more professional look in the red dress, and a diva look in the black jacket with the silver background. I reckon that should cover everything :D

Charles, you raise an interesting point too, about "vertical". One of my challenges with posing is getting people to stop holding their shoulders/neck/head as one stiff unit, particularly if they're standing. Any ideas? I keep experimenting with this, but there's a certain type of gal who no matter how much (or how specifically) she's directed to relax those shoulders and bend more than one direction at once struggles with it. I SO need a plain wall/corner to use so I can at least get them leaning; I'm finding my indoor space more and more restrictive, but just don't have an alternative at the moment. With the winter coming fast, I need to keep building my posing and lighting skills for non-location shooting ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    I'm partial to #3. It just draws me in. They are all super though. Don't performers want variety in their headshots?
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Diva, with my ladies standing I put them in a traditional standing stance with weight on the back foot. I then take the front foot and move it slightly across the body in front. This tends to narrow the hips a bit more. Then I tell them God gave women hips so throw one out and then drop the same shoulder that the hip is thrown out on and then give me some attitude. AT THAT POINT THEY GENERALLY CRACK UP AND RELAX MORE.
  • Options
    edited October 25, 2012
    John, I love to give them lots of options. I think some people have specific expxectations and may only choose the series that fits those, but I do like to give them more than one "vibe" for their shots. Clothing changes help, but just avoiding same expression/pose etc.

That's actually exactly what I do, Hack, and much of the time it works beautifully, FOr a few, however.... the challenge isn't so much feet/where weight is - they all seem to take that direction well - but that shoulders+neck seem to get fused into one "don't slouch" position where everything gets really "square" and too even. Even when I ask them to work a shoulder, tilt a head, or try to be a little UNeven, some people seem to really struggle with that. Best I've found is to get them seated and lean them on a knee or table which forces some angles, but sometimes that creates its own set of problems sometimes. ne_nau.gif

Work in progress, on my part thumb.gif
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    WOW Diva. You rocked these. Probably your best work, IMO. I love 2, 3 and 4. I'm really drawn to 4 for some reason. I also dig the unconventional crop of 3.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site
  • Options
    edited October 26, 2012
    Awww, thanks Alex iloveyou.gif

I guess FF really does make a difference ;) I can't deny it makes it so much easier to get the look I like - I was making it work on crop, but it was WORK. With the FF sensor it pretty much does itself, and my life is also made hugely easier by having more ISO speeds to play with when I need them. Yeah, I miss some of the customisations and goodies in my 7d, but overall I'm very pleased and glad I made the jump when I did :)
  • Options
    Mike JMike J Registered Users Posts: 1,029 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2012
    WOW Diva. You rocked these. Probably your best work, IMO. I love 2, 3 and 4. I'm really drawn to 4 for some reason. I also dig the unconventional crop of 3.
    I was thinking the same thing - this is some of the best stuff you've posted... 2 and 4 are my favorites. #4 just has that connection. Just take a look at how far you have come. Here's your first post http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=101955

Just a little progress eh?
    Mike J

Comments and constructive criticism always welcome.
    www.mikejulianaphotography.com
    Facebook
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2012
    I have found that telling people to take a deep breath and then blow it all out just before I shoot relaxes those shoulder and neck muscles a lot.
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    edited October 27, 2012
    Thanks Mike!! That was the start of it all... rolleyes1.gif

Snowgirl, I do get them to breathe but this "fused" shoulder/neck thing is so weird, and I"ve faced it a couple of times - it's like they just CAN'T let themselves bend unequally. I don't think it's that they physically can't, but just that they have this "Must hold myself straight" in photos thing. It's usually girls, too - the guys tend to be more willing to be "uneven" in their shoulders when asked.

I have 9 student actors to shoot tomorrow (mini-shoots, not full ones - I haven't completely lost my mind yet!!) and am going to play around with different ways of working with this particular issue; I want to try and find some kind of reliable trick or way of directing it out of folks thumb.gif
  • Options
    reyvee61reyvee61 Registered Users Posts: 1,877 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2012
    Nice headshot Diva, one is my absolute favorite!
    Yo soy Reynaldo
  • Options
    Aleksandar VasicAleksandar Vasic Registered Users Posts: 334 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2012
    Beautiful:)
  • Options
    shawncshawnc Registered Users Posts: 691 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    Though I find my preference to be #1, very professional looking, I am really digging the DOF of 2, 3 & 4. What lens are you using to acheive that shallow DOF and how wide open? I also agree with you on #3 she does have a nice connection to the camera. Beautiful shots, beautiful subject.
  • Options
    edited October 30, 2012
    Thanks Rey, Aleksandar and Shawn. iloveyou.gif

Shawn, I'd have to look them all up but I tend to shoot at wide apertures, usually 2.2-4.0. It bites me in the butt sometimes as I miss both eyes in focus, but as long as the bokeh draws me in I don't mind that (some do, but it doesn't bother me personally).

Since I got the 5dII I find myself using my 85mm 1.8 A LOT - I've probably used it more in the last 3 weeks than in the entire time I've had it until now! I also have a 135L I love for portraits, but it's awkward to use indoors in my small shooting space; I use it as often as possible when outside, however.
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    WOW! They are all GREAT Diva! iloveyou.gif Nothing makes me take a second look like big eyes and a nice smile! I'm sure she is going to love them all.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2012
    Thanks Bro! She was very pleased with them, which is always nice to hear iloveyou.gif