GoPro or S100?

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited September 29, 2013 in Video
I have a Canon S100 that already doesn't get enough use because I also have a DSLR. I want to do some helmet-cam video this winter of my kids skiing. Obviously the GoPro Hero springs to mind, but would it be just as effective to simply get the underwater housing for my S100? The cost is similar, about $200 for the case, or $200 for the basic Hero 3, although I would probably go for the silver edition at $300.

Which would be better? I would think the lens on the S100 would be better and that it would be nice to have the zoom, but am I missing something?
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2012
    I have a Canon S100 that already doesn't get enough use because I also have a DSLR. I want to do some helmet-cam video this winter of my kids skiing. Obviously the GoPro Hero springs to mind, but would it be just as effective to simply get the underwater housing for my S100? The cost is similar, about $200 for the case, or $200 for the basic Hero 3, although I would probably go for the silver edition at $300.

Which would be better? I would think the lens on the S100 would be better and that it would be nice to have the zoom, but am I missing something?

Jack, you're missing fps! I know there's a new hero in town, but instead of me looking it up, I know you will or have. I'd prefer to shoot skiing at 60fps or faster if it were me. Obviously I do not know if your S100 has 60 or greater fps video capture.
    tom wise
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited October 25, 2012
    Thanks for raising that point. S100 does 1080p at 24fps, 720p at 30fps, or 640x480 at 120fps. Calling me an "amateur videographer" would be a compliment... is an HDTV even capable of displaying 60fps at normal speed?

A comparison of specs and features between the 3 new GoPro cameras is here. The idea of another $400 camera that I don't use much isn't too appealing, so I'm kind of setting the limit at the $300 silver edition. That only does 60fps at the "ultra wide" setting, which I don't think will be too useful. I'm sick of these "look at me" POV videos which everyone with a GoPro have beaten to death, and that seems to be the primary application of the ultra wide setting.

You know what though, I'll bet the S100 underwater housing doesn't allow much sound to reach the mic. That would be a strike against it. Hmm.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 25, 2012
    The silver edition compares with the Hero2. You can find the 2 on sale for $199 as retailers get rid of old stock.

Add a WiFi back and you can control it with your iPhone (Android users will have to wait) and it includes a "preview" mode that allows you to see where the camera is pointed.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited October 25, 2012
    Thanks for raising that point. S100 does 1080p at 24fps, 720p at 30fps, or 640x480 at 120fps. Calling me an "amateur videographer" would be a compliment... is an HDTV even capable of displaying 60fps at normal speed?

A comparison of specs and features between the 3 new GoPro cameras is here. The idea of another $400 camera that I don't use much isn't too appealing, so I'm kind of setting the limit at the $300 silver edition. That only does 60fps at the "ultra wide" setting, which I don't think will be too useful. I'm sick of these "look at me" POV videos which everyone with a GoPro have beaten to death, and that seems to be the primary application of the ultra wide setting.

You know what though, I'll bet the S100 underwater housing doesn't allow much sound to reach the mic. That would be a strike against it. Hmm.

Trick is to rent it Jack. Rent the thing and then see if it's worth buying.
    tom wise
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2012
    Whilst it probably wouldn't even be considered as suitable for 'door stop duty' by you guys - I'm currently having lots of fun with a Kodak Playsport zx5.

Whilst specifically bought for use by others, I snaffle it at all opportunities as a bike cam (the sort with pedals) - in both frame and helmet mounted positions.

For £70 it's ideal for experimentation purposes - and great for capturing the idiotic (and dangerous) antics of tin box drivers who should be re-tested.

pp
  • DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2012

Yeah, AFAIK TVs generally support 60fps. But I think high framerates are more commonly used to shoot slow-motion video.... slowing 60 fps to 30 fps is a lot easier and cleaner than interpolating 30fps footage.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,904 moderator
    edited October 28, 2012
    Demian wrote: »
    Yeah, AFAIK TVs generally support 60fps. But I think high framerates are more commonly used to shoot slow-motion video.... slowing 60 fps to 30 fps is a lot easier and cleaner than interpolating 30fps footage.

This.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    zx5 has 720p @ 60fps as one of its options.
    edited October 29, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    This.

It might be mentioned here that the Sports networks use 59.97 fps for their sport broadcasts @ 720p.
    tom wise
  • HootHoot Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited September 24, 2013
    Just came close to buying a GoPro.... and then backed off after reading about their battery life. Images and form factor looks good. But having them go dead at the wrong time is important to me.
  • ipatryipatry Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited September 26, 2013
    JM, I am an avid gopro user! I have three of them and love them. They are just insane what you can do with them! If you are wanting to get the POV look you should definitely get a GoPro. My newest gopro I purchased last winter, the hero 3 black. Honestly it is worth every penny! The wifi remote is also a great feature you get with it! If you do not plan on doing any slow mo then I would suggest getting the silver. Also I live in Maine as well and do a lot of skiing and snowmobiling and etc.... But the best look you would get is to attach a mount to your ski pole. And film them from the side. It looks a ton better, the POV on the helmet comes out nice too. These cameras are very durable and I have had my first gopro going on four years and still use it at various other angles! You will get hooked on GoPro, I did! Also with my gopro 3, my battery last on average around 3-4 hours of heavy usage. I would suggest buying some extras on amazon, they are not that expensive. Good Luck
  • BrewmasterBrewmaster Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2013
    I actually have a GoPro for sale right now on Craigs list...with lots of extras. It's an amazing camera, I used it allot on my 280 mile Grand Canyon rafting trip, but have lost interest in Video. Would like to sell the entire collection of stuff soon....otherwise it will become a Christmas gift to my son (but I would rather have the $$!!). Here is the link...
    http://cleveland.craigslist.org/pho/4066630454.html