Options

A Cry for Help - 500mm lens and Kenya Airways (UK) 20cm bag depth limit

Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
edited October 29, 2012 in Accessories
Kenya Airways has a 20cm max depth limitation on hand luggage and this worries me, so I’m looking for a bag / rucksack which is most compatible with this and compatible with a Canon 500mm and my gear - a 100mm, 17-40L, 5DII and 7D and some bits which cannot go in the hold – iPad, backup photo storage etc. No laptop needed.

After much research I am leaning toward either ….

the new Think Tank Aieport Accelerator or …
the Guru Gear Bataflae 32L

However, both bags are 23cm deep and this is still 3cm over the Kenya Airways (UK) allowance of 55*38*20cm.

So … I have a couple of questions, and if anyone has an answer or suggestion on any of them I would appreciate it …

1. Have I missed a quality rucksack/bag which will meet my requirements and more importantly be closer to the Kenya airways 20cm depth restriction?

2. Has anyone used either of the two bags mentioned above and has been asked to squish them into a 20cm sizing frame during check in? I’m wondering if without a laptop if they will actually squish to 20cm?

Many thanks for any help or other advice.

Alan.

PS – I have been to Tanzania / Kenya twice before and never been challenged, but I’ve never taken such a big lens / bag before or quite so much gear value. The thought of being asked to check it to the hold fills me with horror! Also note that the size allowance on Kenya Airways (US) is more generous.

Comments

• Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2012
    Well, with a hood dia of 160mm and 180over the 'boot' there's not much spare room to play with - assuming KA are going the 'jobsworth' route.

Personally, I normally carry my 500 (with body attached) in a bog standard rucksack -typically wrapped in a fleece / jacket / T shirt etc (local travelling on a bike for last 3yrs)

Whilst I've not flown with this setup, I have used it (body removed) when travelling on other public transport, so I suspect I'd use similar in a tight squish scenario.

pp
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited October 28, 2012
    I have used the Guru Gear Kiboko 30L on rips to Kenya and S. Afruca with no problems from Virgin, British, and America Airlines. Fantastic bag which holds all the gear I need. I usually will put the laptop in a sleeve and put it into my checked luggage. I have never had any of my bag checked for size.

I have heard a few horror stories about Kenya Airways but none were about carry-on luggage.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2012
    Well, with a hood dia of 160mm and 180over the 'boot' there's not much spare room to play with - assuming KA are going the 'jobsworth' route.

Personally, I normally carry my 500 (with body attached) in a bog standard rucksack -typically wrapped in a fleece / jacket / T shirt etc (local travelling on a bike for last 3yrs)

Whilst I've not flown with this setup, I have used it (body removed) when travelling on other public transport, so I suspect I'd use similar in a tight squish scenario.

pp

Thanks Paul,

I haven't got the lens yet so can't actually try it in my current "out and about" rucksack (Dakine Sequence) - I am doubtful it and my other gear would fit and my rucksack would already blow away the 20cm size. I'm also thinking I would be nice to have a neater "no straps" "in flight" option - but not essential.

I will keep it in mind and thanks for that.

Alan.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2012
    Harryb wrote: »
    I have used the Guru Gear Kiboko 30L on rips to Kenya and S. Afruca with no problems from Virgin, British, and America Airlines. Fantastic bag which holds all the gear I need. I usually will put the laptop in a sleeve and put it into my checked luggage. I have never had any of my bag checked for size.

I have heard a few horror stories about Kenya Airways but none were about carry-on luggage.

Thanks Harry,

Yes I missed that one thanks, and it is closer to my requirements at only 1.6cm too wide. I've also found a review of it which says it should squish 1 or two centimeters if required. Although I take Pauls point about the hood size - which I suppose I could possibly put in the hold bag.

I may be slightly over worrying, and overall Kenya Air allowance is very generous 2*23Kg in the hold. Its just 20cm depth for hand luggage for a photographer is very unfriendly! The web site is also very specific about other carry on personal items that are allowed - a coat, a resonable size book, a small camera etc.

Yup, Ive read some horror stories as well. Hope I'm not writing about any next year!

Thanks again

Alan.
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    Alan - it sounds like you might be renting the 500 - if so, depending on where you are and how much time you've got, you're welcome to have a look at mine / try bags etc.

The Canon 'black leather thingy' is a right pita in my (and other's) opinions. In the past, I've used a home made 'lens cap' from a circular pie dish / baking tray ex wilkos (or similar) - lined around the inside periphery with a couple of layers of gaffer tape for a friction fit.
    This is only ok when the hood is attached in working condition, since the 'attaching end' of the hood is a slightly smaller dia + has got protruding fixing knob.

Having an alternative to the Canon 'blt' would give you a bit more packing material / wiggle room.

PM me if you want more info / think I can help (Leics, btw) - apols if already aware of this stuff.

pp

Mine's a mk1 - so ignore all above if you're getting / renting a mk2, btw :)
  • Options
    edited October 29, 2012
    Alan - it sounds like you might be renting the 500 - if so, depending on where you are and how much time you've got, you're welcome to have a look at mine / try bags etc.

The Canon 'black leather thingy' is a right pita in my (and other's) opinions. In the past, I've used a home made 'lens cap' from a circular pie dish / baking tray ex wilkos (or similar) - lined around the inside periphery with a couple of layers of gaffer tape for a friction fit.
    This is only ok when the hood is attached in working condition, since the 'attaching end' of the hood is a slightly smaller dia + has got protruding fixing knob.

Having an alternative to the Canon 'blt' would give you a bit more packing material / wiggle room.

PM me if you want more info / think I can help (Leics, btw) - apols if already aware of this stuff.

pp

Mine's a mk1 - so ignore all above if you're getting / renting a mk2, btw :)

Paul,

Thanks for the offer of a physical “hands on”, it is very kind and much appreciated and I’ll keep it in mind.

I was trying not to add extra distraction into my help request, but its not quite so simple. I’ve been holding off buying something big (a lifetime purchase) for the last year to see what happens on the yet to be announced 200-400mm 1.4x which although won’t give the IQ of the 500, it would better fit the diversity of my uses. Stacking side profile images of the 200-400 v’s the 500 they look to be about the same size, but obviously I know nothing of the “lens cap” / boot or hood arrangement. I was hoping for an announcement this month. So I may up renting or buying one of these two lenses – all a bit unknown at the moment I’m afraid.

I like your pie dish suggestions and wonder how many others have done this – interesting. I may end up following in your footsteps but not being very good at DIY I would probably try something like the Don Zeck C8 first.

Thanks
    Alan.