Options

My journey to the best DSLR camera bag

bobbykbobbyk Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited October 30, 2012 in Accessories
I have had a bunch of different camera bags over the past 5 years. Most were either a mistake from the beginning or I out grew them with my increasing camera equipment. I have learned a bunch from that experience so I wrote a blog post about it. My best back is the Lowepro Flipside Sport 15L.

Here is the blog if you are interested.

http://www.bobkeenanphoto.com/bags-bags-bags-my-journey-to-the-best-dslr-camera-bag/

Comments

• Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    I am not a 'backpack" shooter but I am curious if you looked at the Thnktank offerings. Particularly the Shape Shifter. /i really liked that bag when I saw it, but I need rollers for my work.
  • Options
    bobbykbobbyk Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    Great bag but....
    I am not a 'backpack" shooter but I am curious if you looked at the Thnktank offerings. Particularly the Shape Shifter. /i really liked that bag when I saw it, but I need rollers for my work.

Wow.... I like the look of this bag. But.... I think it fails for me in a couple places. First it looks like changing lenses quickly would be difficult with stuff on top of each other. Also it looks like you have to lay this bag down on something before you open it. My bag sits at the waist like an open tray. I do love the deign of the shape shifter as it looks like you can pack a bunch of stuff without all of the thick padding.
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    As I say I am not a backpack guy. I'm a sports shooter so I am carrying multiple bodies and big glass a lot. However, I was unaware of the shape shifter until this past spring when our workshop leader started talking about it, and showing it to us. He's a longtime shooter for USA Today, and it's his everyday bag. And I certainly understand what you mean about changing lenses quickly. I gave up on that years ago, and just started bringing more bodies. :) <-- DSLR Idiot
  • Options
    HelvegrHelvegr Registered Users Posts: 246 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    bobbyk wrote: »
    Wow.... I like the look of this bag. But.... I think it fails for me in a couple places. First it looks like changing lenses quickly would be difficult with stuff on top of each other. Also it looks like you have to lay this bag down on something before you open it. My bag sits at the waist like an open tray. I do love the deign of the shape shifter as it looks like you can pack a bunch of stuff without all of the thick padding.

I have the shape shifter, and you're right, its not really a bag to shoot out of in my opinion. I think it works best in combination with the think thank modular belt system (which also have), it helps to get all your gear on site. Switch things out to their components on your belt, zip the backpack down to its flat state, and then go out and shoot without having to leave your gear back anywhere.

So far I'm liking it for certain event type situations, but not really if I need a back to work out of, and change lenses out of.
    Camera: Nikon D4
    Lenses: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II | Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 | Nikon 50mm f/1.4
    Lighting: SB-910 | SU-800