Options

Hired

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited November 1, 2012 in The Big Picture
So looks like I'm hired to shoot a small (35 people) holiday party next month. I currently own a nikon d7000 with a 17-55mm lens and other lenses. I also own a d200 what lens do you recommend I use and should I bring a back up sb800 flash? First time doing this.

Comments

• Options
    moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,417 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    Can't help you too much on the specific equipment, as I'm a Canon shooter, but absolutely, bring backup gear - body, lens, flash, batteries, cards - whatever you have. It's a paying gig, and you don't want to tell your client "Sorry, my flash died, so I didn't get your photos..."
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    moose135 wrote: »
    Can't help you too much on the specific equipment, as I'm a Canon shooter, but absolutely, bring backup gear - body, lens, flash, batteries, cards - whatever you have. It's a paying gig, and you don't want to tell your client "Sorry, my flash died, so I didn't get your photos..."

gonna add to this...since you only say other lenses, I will say, for a paying job like this I would only go with a constant aperture lens like the 24-120 f4 or 24-70 f2.8 & 70-200 f2.8 ... ... a min of 2 flashes and 2 good battery packs (quantum batteries or similar) so there is no need to change batteries as this can cause you to miss needed shots if your shooting journalistic style (non posed), but then I just do not like having people ask me later how many times I had to change batteries... ... I prefer the wholly crap you never changed batteries what kind do you use....then I show them the battery pack ... ... ...same with lenses I go with 2 bodies with a lens on each, spare bodies, flashes and lenses in bag ... ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    I would suggest you will need 16 GB memory cards (assuming the event is several hours) and you should have your camera set to record slot two as backup to slot one.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2012
    I have about a dozen 16gb SD cards. I am looking at borrowing a friends flash as a back up. I am going to bring my D200 as a back up body and looking at renting a 24-70mm Lens.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited November 1, 2012
    A Nikon D7000 body and Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX is an excellent combination for a standard zoom for an event. Yes, I also recommend redundancy for camera body, lens and flash.

For the flash, a Nikon SB-800 is an excellent workhorse flash. I do recommend using an external high-voltage power supply, like the Nikon SD-8A. This will nearly triple your time between battery changes, and it speeds flash recycling too. Use ISO settings of 800 or 1600 to help conserve batteries as well as speed recycling. Use FP mode if you need to control ambient light. (The D7000 makes that pretty simple.)

If it's a large venue, a Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II AF-S can be helpful to cover subjects at a distance. It's a tremendous help if you have it on a second body with its own flash.

If you need to shoot a group formal portrait, you may also wish to have a super-wide-angle zoom, just in case they choose a smaller room for the portrait. Otherwise, just do what you can with arranging the group to match the situation and your standard zoom lens at its widest angle.

For your primary flash and standard zoom lens, I highly recommend using a "scoop" modifier, especially if you're unsure about the venue. In a venue with a low white ceiling and white walls a bounced flash with fill card can also be used. (... But the scoop modifier still works in that situation as well.)

For the long zoom and distant subjects, either use direct fill flash or "skim/feather" the flash off the ceiling or white wall, as appropriate.

For group formals, it's best to have multiple flashes and I often use a "wall of light" approach, although I also use different light output from left to right, to give a better sense of depth. Shoot-through umbrellas on stands and using umbrella brackets for the speedlights plus a radio slave system simplify and speed setup.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 1, 2012
    The venue is actually pretty cool from what I have been told. The design of the place is Retro from the like the 50's and 60's with Classic Cars and on the 2nd floor some craps tables and such. http://www.americantorque.com/page/0/2403/

I do own an SB-800 Which I love and a 70-200MM lens. I am thinking of setting up an area later on with my lighting kit for those who want couples portraits. But other than that I will be wandering the place snapping away.