Options

Bag is too big for the overhead bin in a plane! What to do?

haringharing Registered Users Posts: 281 Major grins
edited November 3, 2012 in Accessories
What do you do when your camera bag is too big for the overhead bin in a plane or all of the bins are taken?

I am sure I am not the only one who experienced the problem. Lot of times the crew already announces that all overhead bins are full and that no more larger carry-ons can be brought into the plane. What is your tactic to avoid your camera bag being put in the main luggage area of the plane where it can be smashed or stolen...?

I usually do the following:

1. Try to be in the A or B boarding zone. Board the plane first! The chance that you will find empty bins is higher!
2. Try to stand behind somebody who has a bigger bag and the crew will pull out the person in front of you and will be asked to hand over his/her luggage to be put in the main cargo area of the plane. Usually, they are busy with that person in front of you and you can bring my carry-on camera bag on board.
3. Once on board, I try to take out my laptop and larger lenses to make my bag smaller. Hopefully, it fits!
4. I also try to put under the seat of the person in front of me...

Have you ever experienced this problem? What did you do you could share with us? This always stresses me out when I fly somewhere so photograph a destination wedding.
Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited October 16, 2012
    Change your step '2', to read as follows:

"Look up the published carry-on size limits on your airline's website and obey it."
  • Options
    NyftyNyfty Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    I use a Pelican 1510 with the padded dividers. It's slightly smaller than the maximum size allowed. It will hold one body with a 24-70 2.8 attached a 70-200 2.8, one flash, and 3 other smaller lenses. And all of the ancillary support items you need. And I carry two TSA approved locks in the event that it ends up in the belly of the plane. It will fit overhead or in front of my feet under the seat ahead.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

The last time I was on a commuter plane I was told it had to go into the belly due to space. I mentioned that it was full of photo equipment, the Flight Attendant and Captain said that they would store it in the flight crew’s locker just inside the cabin door. On the way out the Captain asked Nikon or Canon?
    <o:p></o:p>
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2012
    I pack a camera bag inside a wheelie carry on. In the event the wheelie gets taken for gateside check, I whip out the internal camera bag and keep it with me. I have never had to fly with all of my gear (ie lighting etc); not sure what I'd do in that case. I do know I"d be investing in seriously secure bags with locks and everything short of radar tracking - I do NOT like letting my gear out of my sight....
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited October 26, 2012
    kdog wrote: »

"Look up the published carry-on size limits on your airline's website and obey it."

Yup.

Or if your riding it that close you can make the unpopular choice(and I'm sure someone will disagree, someone always does) and go to ebay and buy a gun part, stow it all in a Pelican with real locks and travel that way. Gun parts, no matter which, have to be checked baggage. Your bag will be checked separately at check in and flagged accordingly so as not to trip alarms. Something as small as a magazine/clip/etc. has to be secured so no one can get to it once it gets past the initial check. If your uncomfortable with that a broken paintball gun will do also, those go cheaply enough on ebay as well. The point is the TSA keeps a better eye on those bags and you know nobody is going to get sticky fingers with your kit.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

Have I done this myself, no. If I had to fly with enough gear to disqualify my bag as carry on it is what I would do. I've seen/read to much about disappearing items not do it that way. A little extra time and scrutiny at the airport is well worth the peace of mind of a secure checked bag to me.
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2012
    20DNoob wrote: »
    Yup.

Or if your riding it that close you can make the unpopular choice(and I'm sure someone will disagree, someone always does) and go to ebay and buy a gun part, stow it all in a Pelican with real locks and travel that way. Gun parts, no matter which, have to be checked baggage. Your bag will be checked separately at check in and flagged accordingly so as not to trip alarms. Something as small as a magazine/clip/etc. has to be secured so no one can get to it once it gets past the initial check. If your uncomfortable with that a broken paintball gun will do also, those go cheaply enough on ebay as well. The point is the TSA keeps a better eye on those bags and you know nobody is going to get sticky fingers with your kit.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-information/firearms-and-ammunition

Have I done this myself, no. If I had to fly with enough gear to disqualify my bag as carry on it is what I would do. I've seen/read to much about disappearing items not do it that way. A little extra time and scrutiny at the airport is well worth the peace of mind of a secure checked bag to me.

A couple of points here...I have a neighbor that flies to go big game hunting...and he has had his TSA approved padlocks cut off and has lost ammo and scope and knives...so far no rifles or pistols....

as to using gun parts or broken paintball guns...that is ok but a small starter pistol is really small enough to work better than old paint ball guns :D

and I have not flown with my gear checked , aside from Gate checking on a hopper jet...and the pilot allowed me to try and stuff my bag under the seat......which was a no go..he advised (this was in 2003) to use a roll on airline approved and then it would have been stowed with the flight attendants and his case in the very front of the plane....
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    JCJC Registered Users Posts: 768 Major grins
    edited October 27, 2012

This is mostly irrelevant. It doesn't matter if your carry-on size matches the airlines requirements, if you aren't in one of the first boarding groups.

In the last two years I've flown, international and domestic, everyone at the end of the line has had to check bags at the gate, because they don't have overhead bin capacity for everyone to bring a full size, airline approved carry on. Especially domestic, since everyone now has full size carryon so they don't have to pay to check a bag for short trips. You aren't charged to check at the gate, so for most people it's a worthwhile gamble.

I do what Diva suggests, if I'm carrying camera gear, I check the rest of my stuff, and put my camera gear in my lowepro backpack inside my rolling bag, with my 'what i need overnight if my luggage gets lost stuff'. When I can't get to the front of the line, I've had to check my rolling bag, with my 1 day of clothes, ditty bag, books and stuff, but I take out my laptop and camera bag which fits under the seat, my tripod is a crapshoot if TSA lets me take in carryon on not. But, I don't travel with a full professional kit.

The other thing to watch out for, is a rolling bag full of camera gear (and a laptop) is pretty much guaranteed to exceed the weight limit for carryons. I've been an international flight where they did weigh the carryons. Luckily I was with my boyfriend and I could juggle stuff around with him for weigh in, since he is a pretty low-tech traveler.
    Yeah, if you recognize the avatar, new user name.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited October 27, 2012

Sadly, it doesn't matter if you do. Unless you're in the first couple of groups to board, you'll be lucky to get it under the seat. Taking carry on is a crap shoot all around these days. If you're choosing your seat, pick something toward the back of the aircraft (or first class). That almost always gets you in the first boarding group.

Sometimes, if you're told you need to check a bag, you can try telling the crew it's camera gear. Don't be rude or obnoxious and they'll often help find room in the overhead. It's happened to me several times and has worked out each time. In one instance, I didn't have to ask as the 1st officer recognized the pack and asked for me.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2012
    kolibri wrote: »
    This is mostly irrelevant. It doesn't matter if your carry-on size matches the airlines requirements, if you aren't in one of the first boarding groups.
    ian408 wrote: »
    Sadly, it doesn't matter if you do. Unless you're in the first couple of groups to board, you'll be lucky to get it under the seat.
    You two took my remark out of context.

I responded to this: "2. Try to stand behind somebody who has a bigger bag and the crew will pull out the person in front of you and will be asked to hand over his/her luggage to be put in the main cargo area of the plane. Usually, they are busy with that person in front of you and you can bring my carry-on camera bag on board."

To that I said this: ""Look up the published carry-on size limits on your airline's website and obey it."

Obviously if you're in the last boarding group, you are in a world of hurt with a large carry-on. That is an entirely separate issue than trying to sneak a carry-on bag which you suspect may be over-limit. My point was don't-do-that.

Making absolutely sure you're in one of the first two check-in groups is critical when you're carrying large carry-ons. I figured that went without saying.

I'm not knocking carrying smaller camera bags that will fit under your seat as an alternative. However, that's not always practical for wildlife shooters for example.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2012
    You missed my point. I complete understood where you were coming from. However, as those of us who travel frequently know, there isn't much overhead space relative to the number of passengers on the aircraft. And with increasing number of carry-on bags, the cabin just isn't big enough-even if every bag is within the limits.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2012
    ian408 wrote: »
    You missed my point. I complete understood where you were coming from. However, as those of us who travel frequently know, there isn't much overhead space relative to the number of passengers on the aircraft. And with increasing number of carry-on bags, the cabin just isn't big enough-even if every bag is within the limits.
    Your point is a good one. It's just orthogonal to the point I made.
  • Options
    edited October 28, 2012
    Your point is a good one. It's just orthogonal to the point I made.

What does it matter if you can't get your bag in the overhead?
  • Options
    bfluegiebfluegie Registered Users Posts: 744 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    I think there are two issues being discussed. For one, will the overhead accommodate the size of the bag, there is no real solution except to find out what the maximum size is for the given plane and comply.

For the other, the bag would fit but the overhead bins fill before boarding is complete, several comments have been made. I have seen the flight attendants occasionally take bags and store them for passengers rather than require them to check the bag. Another possibility: arrive early at the gate and as soon as the gate agent arrives explain your concerns. Don't wait until the last minute or they will be too busy with other activities getting ready for boarding. Ask if they will move you to an earlier boarding group. Be prepared to show the agent your photo gear so they know you aren't just trying to jump ahead of others. Explain your concerns about the risk to your equipment (damage or theft) if it is checked. Hey, it might work. I think someone else already made the point about being courteous. Very few people will bend the rules for someone who just treated them like dirt. If you are booking your ticket through a travel agent, ask them about getting priority boarding. Some airlines will let you pay extra for an earlier boarding group. United does that, I think. I don't know how much it costs since I haven't used it, but I have seen the option when checking in.
    ~~Barbara
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited October 29, 2012
    Or hopefully you'll get a crew who has at least one fellow photog to help you out ;)
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    I travel way too much for work and have been traveling with camera equipment in various configurations. I have found a few things to be aware of, in no particular order:
    • For regional Canadair Jets the underseat is larger than the overhead bin
    • Paying (or qualifying through loyalty program) for the "Extra Legroom" or Exit Seat helps. The Extra Legroom has less people per linear foot of overhead bin. Plus you can often get a wheelie under the seat in a pinch
    • When the gate agent is not busy ask what the best way is to get the stuff on board. Such tame questions as, do you think camera equipment is better overhead or under seat? They will often help
    • I pack my things so I can take them apart easily. So that my camera being taken out of the bag is not an issue. I have flown with it on my lap. I also travel with my camera bag and an emptier backpack so I can split things up. When I get there I make one big bag
    • Don't be mean to the only people who can help you
    • Consider a pelican style case and checking some of the less fragile gear, flashes, cleaning stuff, chargers … etc

Having said that, a properly configured and packed bag can help quite a bit. I can get the following items into a bag and under the seat in front of me on all sorts of planes:
    • 1 Canon XTi
    • 3 Lenses (2 kit, 1L)
    • 1 Speedlight 430
    • 1 25' Speelight cable
    • 1 Phottix Remote Trigger System
    • 2 58mm filters
    • 2 77mm filters
    • 1 Giotto Rocket Cleaner
    • 1 iPad2
    • 1 PowerShot SD950
    • Misc Chargers and Batteries for both Cameras
    • 8 AA Batteries
    • 1 Apple Camera Kit and CF adapter
    • 2 Gorillapods
    • 1 1l Sigg Bottle
    • Multiple Memory Cards
    • 2 Magazines
    • 1 Lastolite Calibration Target (yes, the small one)
    All of that fits under the seat in front of me on every plane I have been on this calendar year, which is over 60 and counting.
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    On a serious note, while I don't have a perfect answer be nice to your crew and ask nicely if you are in a pinch. I've had my flight attendants come up with creative solutions before. One of which is strapping a bag in a (rarely) empty seat. We have other means at our disposal when it works out, so be nice, smile and maybe chat your pilots up about photography. We just might be able to help you out :)
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,247 moderator
    edited October 31, 2012
    I use an f-stop Loka (review at http://denisegoldberg.blogspot.com/2012/04/gear-review-f-stop-loka.html). The camera equipment is in an insert that can be pulled out of the bag. Worst case I could pull the insert out and carry that on to the plane - it will easily fit under the seat in front of me.

If I am flying Southwest and don't think I can log on to get an early boarding number I will pay the extra $10 for early bird check in (to be assigned an early boarding number). On other airlines I have paid to be placed in an early boarding group. So far that has worked for me.

--- Denise
  • Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    I split my stuff up for carry-on to have the essentials cannot live without it stuff in a bag that will always fit under the seat. The spare stuff goes into the second carry-on that goes overhead which is not a camera bag, but it is packed in such a way that I can pull out the spare lens and/or camera body out quickly if they need to check the bag.

I check my tripod and light stands. I need to find a better bag for my light stands. They take a beating.

Another thought:
    If you have someone at the other end to receive the gear: overnight via fedex or ups except for your main body and lens (I personally just could not be without mine at all times :-))

And finally, check your insurance to make sure it covers checked gear.
    When I was shopping for insurance, that option was not standard for a couple of companies. (international too)
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    MomaZunk wrote: »
    When I was shopping for insurance, that option was not standard for a couple of companies. (international too)

So who did you finally settle on??
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    MomaZunkMomaZunk Registered Users Posts: 421 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    Hull and Usher does include coverage for checked baggage, international at replacement value with their inland marine coverage.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2012
    Yeah. I must have given advice on this exact situation over a dozen times. Especially with layovers, or smaller planes, ...you could be outta luck no matter what.

My solution? The Tenba messenger bag. Fits under the seat, and still carries all the essential gear I need to get a job done in a pinch. Two bodies, (no vertical grips) 3 lenses, (anything other than the 70-200 2.8's) ...plus a flash and a laptop... Everything else goes in the overhead compartment bag, the junk like chargers, lighting accessories and cheap wireless hotshoe flashes... (If the 70-200 2.8 is a critical part of your setup, just carry a single body in the under-seat bag and you'll have room for it.)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum