Which scanner??

JJiimmJJiimm Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited July 5, 2004 in Digital Darkroom
I have a lot of black and white negatives.
The size is 2 and 1/4 by 2 and 3/4 from my old Pantax of ten years ago.
What scanner can I use to get these in to my Photoshop Elements??
JJiimm

Comments

• BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited July 4, 2004
    JJiimm wrote:
    JJiimm
    About a year ago I bought an Epson 3200 and I'm completely in love with it. http://www.photo-i.co.uk/Reviews/interactive/Scanners/Epson_3200/page_1.htm

At the time, I did a lot of review-reading and comparing so I was pretty confident in my decision. It's been a year since then so maybe something better has come along?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,694 moderator
    edited July 4, 2004
    JJiimm wrote:
    JJiimm
    Any of the better grade flat bed scanners should work to scan 2 1/4 by 2 3/4 negatives. The Epson 3200 mentioned by Baldy should do a very nice job. The newer version of the Epson is the Perfection 4870 Photo flatbed scanner - B&H lists it for 449.95 but offers a better price here - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=310586&is=REG

The one thing about scanning B&W is that DIgital ICE - the software used by most scanners (including Epson) to remove dust and dirt from the image via software - does not work on B&W negatives so they should be as clean as possible.sad.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • PerezDesignGroupPerezDesignGroup Registered Users Posts: 395 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2004
    I can't really comment on any particular scanner but I can comment on Epson as a whole.

I own an old Epson Perfection 1240 scanner with the Film/Slide adapter and I can tell you it was worth the investment. I own Epson everything and I've been extremely happy with the quality of their products overall. I've had both for close to 4 years or something and not a single issue. Even my Epson 880 printer still jams out beautiful pages although the cheap aftermarket ink cartridges are starting to show their weakness.
    Canon Digital Rebel | Canon EOS 35mm | Yashica Electro GSN | Fed5B | Holga 35 MF