Options

LR4 Question

SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
edited November 5, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
currently when importing / opening images in the development module the exposure is at -1, contrast at -33, and sharpening at 40.

I would like to start my processing with all the sliders at zero. While I can hit the reset button on any individual image I can't seem to apply a preset or reset to zero multiple images.

Any thoughts?

Sam

Comments

• Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    - apply your desired settings on any image ( all zero or neutral )
    - in develop , click on the + next to preset
    - give name , (un)check as you please , and CREATE
    - in preset pane , right-click the new preset => Apply on import

edit
    also found answer for your second question
    -in library select desired images ( or all )
    - in right pane under quick develop , click the arrow next to Saved preset / default settings
    - in the drop down menu , choose the user-preset you just created
  • Options
    WinkXR6TWinkXR6T Registered Users Posts: 61 Big grins
    edited October 30, 2012
    I'd say there's an active import preset.
    Everything should be at 0 otherwise, except for sharpening which defaults to 25.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    Sam, I'm curious why you would want to zero out all your sliders anyway. IMO, one of the most powerful aspects of LR is the labor/time saving. I have camera-&-ISO dependent import presets that LR automatically applies on import. If I shoot the D700 @ ISO 1600 it treats the file differently than if I'd used the D3s @ ISO 200 or the D300 @ ISO 800. This keeps me from having to futz with each image just to get a basic starting place. If you only use one body and always shoot at the same ISO, I suppose starting at zero might make sense, but otherwise ne_nau.gif.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    John, can you go through the process for setting those camera/ISO specifics (or point me to somewhere with directions)? I've never done that, but with two bodies with VERY different noise profiles it would be helpful. I notice I'm frequently setting sharpening/NR to similar levels at the outset, so it would be good to have that applied automatically. thumb.gif
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    John,

Good points. I am trying to start at a zero default, and then apply presets from there, if that makes sense.

Also I am with Diva here, how does one generate and apply different camera presets to one import?

Say I want a specific noise reduction for 800 and a different setting for 1600. Is it possible to have a preset with multiple camera specific settings within one preset?

Sam
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    John, can you go through the process for setting those camera/ISO specifics (or point me to somewhere with directions)? I've never done that, but with two bodies with VERY different noise profiles it would be helpful. I notice I'm frequently setting sharpening/NR to similar levels at the outset, so it would be good to have that applied automatically. thumb.gif
    then create some user presets with your favorite settings
    it can save you a lot of work
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    John,

Good points. I am trying to start at a zero default, and then apply presets from there, if that makes sense.

Also I am with Diva here, how does one generate and apply different camera presets to one import?

Say I want a specific noise reduction for 800 and a different setting for 1600. Is it possible to have a preset with multiple camera specific settings within one preset?

Sam
    you can make lots of presets
    just give them a proper name , so you know what it does
    most people will find that they have certain settings are always the same

just go ahead and create some presets
    you can always remove them later if your not satisfied
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2012
    divamum wrote: »
    Sam wrote: »
    John,

Sam

Yes to all. Give me a few hours and I'll start another thread in "Finishing School." I'll link back to this thread too. Serioualy, this is a MAJOR time saver.
    John :
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited October 31, 2012
    ^ I'd love to see this too!!!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    edited October 31, 2012
    Import Preset Tutorial
    OK, I've written up a tutorial on Camera & ISO specific import presets. It's over in the Finishing School. Here 'tis.
    John :
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited November 5, 2012
    Yes I also thought LR4 has everything but sharpening set to 0. I am a huge fan of syncing settings. I pick a run of the mill image in a set adjust as needed then sync to all images. Sometimes this is just sharpening and NR. Sometimes it is everything.