Options

Living with a built in flash

HeldDownHeldDown Registered Users Posts: 255 Major grins
edited October 19, 2005 in Technique
I'll admit to gear envy -- and one of the pieces I envy the most is nice external flashes... and it's because I know nothing about them. They're big and they're bright and they make that satisfying "BSH! Vrrrrrrrr" noise, but I just don't get how to properly use a flash. I hate-hate-hate that "deer in headlights" look that cruddy flash photography produces -- feels like the pictures were taken with a disposable camera instead of a nice digital body. So, due to my lack of knowledge and experience, I avoided flashes entirely. After all, shots with no flash are more natural, right?

Then I bought a slow lens.

My 55-200 USM is supercool, but it's pretty slow at 4.5-5.6. This makes indoor shooting a challenge, and a flash nearly essential. All I have is my on-body POS -- the trick I've pretty much figured out is to clip a white business card to the plastic protuberance that the flash nests in to deflect any direct light, resulting in a decent-enough amount of bounce from around the room to light my test shots. Problem is that sometimes reality "shines through" and it becomes obvious that the business card is actually casting a HUGE SHADOW across the picture -- evinced by bright, strangely-rectilinear lines invading the edges of my crops.

In conclusion, I know very little about using my built-in flash properly, and would love some insight. As well, advice on inexpensive external flash units (and how to use them) would be fabulous -- I'm already eyeing some Sigmas for the future.

PS: I'm shooting a 300D -- hence the built in flash.

With flash:
IMG_4746.jpg

Without flash:
IMG_4748.jpg

With a Black's business card clipped in front of flash :P
IMG_4747.jpg
imageNATION
SEEING THE WORLD IN A WHOLE NEW LIGHT...
http://www.imag-e-nation.net

Comments

• Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    Don't fear the flash! It is just another tool you will need to use at times. Takes some practice, but that's the beauty of shooting digital.

You really have two choices:
    1. Get a faster lens if you refuse to use a flash. For most indoor work, an inexpensive 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 will be a big improvement over your present, slow lens.

2. Get a flash and learn how to use it. You may be pleasantly surprised by how well your camera does with a good flash. You can also use a bounce or diffuser on your flash to improve shots to your taste.

Remember, don't fear the flash!:D
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    On a side note, don't judge flash photography by what you get with your built in flash. These are just too close to the lens to provide good lighting. IMHO the built in flash is really only good for fill flash in outdoor photography.

You may notice that most professional cameras do not even bother with a built in flash. It may be convenient, but the results are generally too flat to be used professionally.
  • Options
    ScottMcLeodScottMcLeod Registered Users Posts: 753 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    Mitchell wrote:
    You really have two choices:
    1. Get a faster lens if you refuse to use a flash. For most indoor work, an inexpensive 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 will be a big improvement over your present, slow lens.
    He has a 50mm f/1.8... We snagged the 55-200 for about 100$CDN this weekend, so it was pretty much one of those "you can't refuse this deal" deals.
    - Scott
    http://framebyframe.ca
    [Bodies] Canon EOS 20D - Canon EOS 500
    [Lenses] Sigma APO 70-200 f/2.8 - Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 - Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 - Tamron XR Di 28-75mm f/2.8 - Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
    [Flash] Sigma EF500 Super DG Flash
    [Tripod]
    Manfrotto 055 Pro Black
    [Head] 484RC2, 200RC2
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    He has a 50mm f/1.8... We snagged the 55-200 for about 100$CDN this weekend, so it was pretty much one of those "you can't refuse this deal" deals.
    How am I supposed to know that? If he has a fast lens, then he should use that indoors with a tripod if he doesn't want to use a flash.ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    USAIRUSAIR Registered Users Posts: 2,646 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    Well first the SunPak 383 is not too bad abt $80

Ant here's a few tricks I used
    3192993-L.jpg

3193014-L.jpg

Omni Bounce with the Sony 717 and 828
    Ping pong ball cut works ok tissue paper
    Theres a few other tricks but I am at work now can't get to them.

Hope this helps
    Fred
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    The very first thing I did was to find some mostly-translucent tape (I found some medical tape) to put across the dang thing to act as a diffuser.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    Good advice guys -- I'll try the medical tape thing tonight.

Mitchell: I have a 1.8, and I generally DO use it indoors, this was more of a "when I am using this lens and it is my option how do I facilitate such use with a flash" kind of thread. The examples with my 55-200 were just a good example to illustrate my unfamiliarness with a flash. I know that, given the choice, to use the 1.8, but leaving it at that would just be ignoring the overall problem. Having said that, I do appreciate all your good advice :)
    imageNATION
  • Options
    StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2005
    HeldDown wrote:
    Good advice guys -- I'll try the medical tape thing tonight.
    I forgot when I was typing in haste earlier today... some cameras don't like that.

If the flash is exposes when it's not popped-up, its probably ok. If it's hidden, like on my 10D, you run the chance of the tape getting stuck inside the pop-up's housing. Be careful.

I like the idea of a ping-pong ball, I've got to give that a try.
  • Options
    edited October 18, 2005
    lol Steve, I realized that soon after I responded -- I as well am quite fond of the pingpong ball -- I just need to find one!
    imageNATION
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 19, 2005
    All these diffusion methods help, but don't really solve the basic problem.

The flash needs to be moved off the camera's shooting axis, for a real improvement in your images. Whether triggered by the flash on the camera, or better, by an off camera cord, a PC cord, or a wireless transmitter. Once the light if off the camera, good things begin to happen. :):

Thus a seperate off camera flash unit is a good investment in image quality, no matter what camera you are using in the future.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 19, 2005
    Ahh, thank you so much pathfinder! :D

So here's my next question: given a limited budget, what type/brand of flash should I look in to? Are the shoe-mount Sigmas "good enough" for most things, seeing as how they move the flash a few inches above the lens, or should I just wait until I can afford a proper, expensive, off body unit?
    imageNATION
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited October 19, 2005
    HeldDown wrote:
    Ahh, thank you so much pathfinder! :D

So here's my next question: given a limited budget, what type/brand of flash should I look in to? Are the shoe-mount Sigmas "good enough" for most things, seeing as how they move the flash a few inches above the lens, or should I just wait until I can afford a proper, expensive, off body unit?

How limited is your budget? The cheaper flashes may not be as easy or as satisfying to shoot pictures with. And a good flash may outlast your present camera body.

Off camera flash does not really require the fancier more control oriented flashes like the Canon 580 or the big Sigma 500ED ( is that right? I do not own a Sigma - but the Sigma owners seem convinced it it every bit as good as the OEM flashes ). Just shoot the flash in manual. Like a studiio monolight.

But, having used a 580ex, I really would be reluctant to give it up. But, even it, is better when removed from the camera hot shoe and placed off to the side somewhere. A PC cord or off camera flash cord is the ticket for seperating the flash from the lens axis.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin