Options

Rates for commissioned landscapes?

MesenkoMesenko Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
edited November 9, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I shoot landscapes for fun and profit. My work is becoming more popular, and now I'm getting requests to do commissioned work.

Recently a company asked me to shoot scenes for their xmas cards for the coming years. Everything is to be shot on the company ranch. There are so many factors that come into play, and they have to like the final product.

I have no idea how to bid this job. Anyone have a similar experience? Any tips???

Thank you!

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 7, 2012
    I would want a lot more information. How many images are they looking for? Are you designing the cards or only supplying the images? Are the images taken on their ranch to be used exclusively for their cards? Is the ranch located near you?

What is their budget?

The key to this is information and open discussion with the client. If, for example, the client is thinking they want 20 different images and card designs exclusive for them and have a budget of $100.00 you are never going to have a meeting of the minds. You need to make sure they have a reasonable budget (or phrase it this way) you need to be sure they have a reasonable dollar figure in their mind they will be comfortable with.

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2012
    Thanks Sam. They want 3 bids from me for different quantities. They won't give me a budget number, however they're a very large Fortune 500 company. Non-exclusive, 20 min travel each way. Their corporate art dept will be designing the cards.
    Sam wrote: »
    I would want a lot more information. How many images are they looking for? Are you designing the cards or only supplying the images? Are the images taken on their ranch to be used exclusively for their cards? Is the ranch located near you?

What is their budget?

The key to this is information and open discussion with the client. If, for example, the client is thinking they want 20 different images and card designs exclusive for them and have a budget of $100.00 you are never going to have a meeting of the minds. You need to make sure they have a reasonable budget (or phrase it this way) you need to be sure they have a reasonable dollar figure in their mind they will be comfortable with.

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2012
    Mesenko wrote: »
    Thanks Sam. They want 3 bids from me for different quantities. They won't give me a budget number, however they're a very large Fortune 500 company. Non-exclusive, 20 min travel each way. Their corporate art dept will be designing the cards.

Mark,

Most difficult to respond. I am having difficulty with 3 different quantities. What does that mean? Have they provided any art direction, describing the type of images they have in mind? Are they expecting you to simply go to the property and run around taking random images? From what little info you have posted I don't see quantity as being the prime item in providing a price quote.

Do they know what they want? If they know or have any idea of what they are looking for you need to find out. If they don't know, that's OK too. Then you can sit down with their art department and develop a concept.

They do have a $ in mind. They just aren't sharing. It's really important to understand what the client wants / expects and what they are willing to spend. Without that your blindfolded, standing in the middle of a cornfield with a bow and arrow trying to hit the scarecrow.

The main component here is the traveling to a specific location and shooting specific scenes / areas. Can this be done on one trip or will you need multiple trips? How long do you anticipate spending there? What if the weather doesn't cooperate? Remember you will only have a relatively short time to shoot. IE: an hour or two after sunrise and and an hour or two before sunset.

You don't want to spend three days taking and processing images only to have them turn around and try to purchase one or two images.

If you can't get enough info to feel confident about providing an all inclusive price, try quoting say $XXX.00 per hour shooting and $XXX.00 per hour editing.

I wouldn't quote them on a per image basis without some reasonable minimum.

Good luck!!

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2012
    Thanks Sam,

I found this article that might be useful to others:

http://blinkbid.com/blog/2011/08/12/tips-for-creating-a-winning-photography-bid/

Sam wrote: »
    Mark,

Most difficult to respond. I am having difficulty with 3 different quantities. What does that mean? Have they provided any art direction, describing the type of images they have in mind? Are they expecting you to simply go to the property and run around taking random images? From what little info you have posted I don't see quantity as being the prime item in providing a price quote.

Do they know what they want? If they know or have any idea of what they are looking for you need to find out. If they don't know, that's OK too. Then you can sit down with their art department and develop a concept.

They do have a $ in mind. They just aren't sharing. It's really important to understand what the client wants / expects and what they are willing to spend. Without that your blindfolded, standing in the middle of a cornfield with a bow and arrow trying to hit the scarecrow.

The main component here is the traveling to a specific location and shooting specific scenes / areas. Can this be done on one trip or will you need multiple trips? How long do you anticipate spending there? What if the weather doesn't cooperate? Remember you will only have a relatively short time to shoot. IE: an hour or two after sunrise and and an hour or two before sunset.

You don't want to spend three days taking and processing images only to have them turn around and try to purchase one or two images.

If you can't get enough info to feel confident about providing an all inclusive price, try quoting say $XXX.00 per hour shooting and $XXX.00 per hour editing.

I wouldn't quote them on a per image basis without some reasonable minimum.

Good luck!!

Sam
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2012
    I have to agree with Sam.

Quoting prices for 3 different quantities makes no sense at all. Basically you are doing an exclusive shoot at their property. It should be more a question of travel expenses, travel time, how much per hour shooting, as well as how much per hour editing. It might also require a few different trips to first take in the property, take some photos here and there just to be able to effectively plan shots for morning and evening.
  • Options
    aj986saj986s Registered Users Posts: 1,100 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2012
    Does "3 different quantities" refer to you providing them (for example) up to 1) 10 images (per year?), 2) 50 images, or 3) 100 images? Maybe they're thinking about multiple uses, and what it'll cost for more choices.
    Tony P.
    Canon 50D, 30D and Digital Rebel (plus some old friends - FTB and AE1)
    Long-time amateur.....wishing for more time to play
    Autocross and Track junkie
    tonyp.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2012
    Mark,

Please keep us updated.

Sam
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2012
    I went to the location with their art director. He said "I want enough images for xmas cards for the next 4 years". I'm going to assume maybe 1 out of 6 images might make the cut because the AD isn't the decision maker, it's the suits upstairs.

My approach was to use a day rate of $800 plus travel, and then a post production cost of $75/per image presented. Also included was a pre-shoot scouting trip to nail down possible locations prior to actual shooting because my thing is weather and light to bring it all together. I want to know exactly where to be when the magic happens. I broke it down into half days, and recommended 4. Unlimited non-exclusive usage rights.

So in the end 2 full days plus travel plus post production for 24 images, and a scouting trip.

Thanks for the great suggestions!
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2012
    Mesenko wrote: »
    I went to the location with their art director. He said "I want enough images for xmas cards for the next 4 years". I'm going to assume maybe 1 out of 6 images might make the cut because the AD isn't the decision maker, it's the suits upstairs.

My approach was to use a day rate of $800 plus travel, and then a post production cost of $75/per image presented. Also included was a pre-shoot scouting trip to nail down possible locations prior to actual shooting because my thing is weather and light to bring it all together. I want to know exactly where to be when the magic happens. I broke it down into half days, and recommended 4. Unlimited non-exclusive usage rights.

So in the end 2 full days plus travel plus post production for 24 images, and a scouting trip.

Thanks for the great suggestions!

Sounds like a good approach. I am a little unclear, did you get the job?

I am still laughing / cringing about the art directors comment that he wants enough images for 4 years worth of Christmas cards. Is that 4 cards, one per year, or some other number? (this is just a rhetorical question" :D

Sam