Options

A Return to the Isle of Skye (24 XL Images)

karlabbottkarlabbott Registered Users Posts: 401 Major grins
edited November 10, 2012 in Journeys
My wife and I had the pleasure of going back to the Isle of Skye and this time the weather was more cooperative. Skye is truly a magical place and a paradise for those who like to make images of landscapes. It seems that there is something new to see in almost every corner of Skye, making it a place that you can visit multiple times without ever tiring of it.

My first image here was taken at the end of the journey, but it's a scene right off of the main road as you drive on to the island:

1:
i-DWGRxb6-XL.jpg

Besides scenic views everywhere, Skye is a haven for sheep. This is a result of the Highland Clearances removing the bulk of the populus and replacing them with sheep.

2:
i-557JmzF-XL.jpg

3:
i-Rmq9Kpv-XL.jpg

Skye is divided into a series of peninsulas: Trotternish, Waternish, Duirinish, Minginish, Strathaird, and Sleat.

During this trip we kept to Trotternish, Minginish, and Strathaird. The other parts of Skye are nice as well, but for our second trip, we really wanted to focus on these areas. Scotland and Skye in particular have a reputation for being awfully wet and indeed, this is usually the case. This time, however, I'd say we saw dry weather most days. The first sunset that I did was at Elgol, at the end of Strathaird:

4:
i-c633wnx-XL.jpg

From Elgol, the Cuillins are very prominent:

5:
i-d2PgKjF-XL.jpg

We based ourselves in Uig, on the Trotternish peninsula, and sunset across the bay from Uig pier did not disappoint either:

6:
i-k5n8JgS-XL.jpg

Trotternish's most notable features are the massive landslips that make up the Trotternish ridge and the Quiraing. It's also one of the greenest parts of Skye:

7: The Trail Leading to the Prison
i-WqNnzJH-XL.jpg

8:
i-MnwhWSR-XL.jpg

Here are some other beautiful scenes from around the Trotternish peninsula:

9:
i-QDrCgPG-XL.jpg

10:
i-s8zTZGz-XL.jpg

11: (The A855 with the Old Man of Storr in the distance)
i-JtnLZvz-XL.jpg

12:
i-dhsW9xq-XL.jpg

The main town in Skye is Portree and it is situated just south of Trotternish. One of the most famous features of Portree is its harbour:

13:
i-dN3SCjF-XL.jpg

14:
i-cKpH5Kw-XL.jpg

An alternate view of Portree:

15:
i-hfPTF9z-XL.jpg

Skye is host to many glens, but perhaps my favorite is Glen Brittle:

16:
i-KLxT5k3-XL.jpg

From Glen Brittle, it's a fairly short hike to the Fairy Pools, which are a series of cascades that seem to go on for quite a while:

17:
i-5hXnXMZ-XL.jpg

18:
i-pB8xv4b-XL.jpg

If you keep driving past the car park for the Fairy Pools hike, you will end up at Loch Brittle:

19:
i-wCcPKDh-XL.jpg

Looking back from Loch Brittle to Skye affords some nice views of the Cuillins:

20:
i-VrZbkJV-XL.jpg

As you head back from Loch Brittle, you have the option to take a side trip to Talisker and Carbost. Carbost is where the famous Talisker distillery is located, and Talisker is the point where you can walk to the beautiful Talisker Bay:

21:
i-7P9JNVW-XL.jpg

22:
i-gnFvL6m-XL.jpg

23:
i-VQHGMGt-XL.jpg

I find Skye to be an amazing place that is always hard to leave. For me, this island is full of inspiration and opportunity for my photography.

So I leave with one last image, the Cuillins from the north looking south on the A87 whilst leaving Skye:

24:
i-H4Sq8tf-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited October 7, 2012
    Fantastic series. I too love Skye. Majestic place. I recognize many places from your journal. I need to get back there. That hiking trail from which you took #8 just might be one the prettiest hikes on the planet. My son was 10 years old when we walked it, and now at 18 years old he is STILL talking about it. :)
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,908 moderator
    edited October 9, 2012
    Very beautiful. Especially Glen Brittle.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012
    Simply beautiful! We are planning a trip to Scotland next year with our boys and I've been debating whether to include Skye in our itinerary. But what you said about the hike, Chris, and your photo #8, Karl, has me very intrigued. Can you tell me a little more about that particular hike?
  • Options
    edited October 10, 2012
    Simply beautiful! We are planning a trip to Scotland next year with our boys and I've been debating whether to include Skye in our itinerary. But what you said about the hike, Chris, and your photo #8, Karl, has me very intrigued. Can you tell me a little more about that particular hike?

Thank you all for the feedback!

To answer the particular question above, I would recommend taking a look at the following link:

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/skye/quiraing.shtml

It's an amazing place. On the Quiraing walk, you typically get some pretty strong winds that really add to the experience of being in such a place. I have to agree with Chris, this may be the most fun hike I've ever taken!
  • Options
    chrisdgchrisdg Registered Users Posts: 366 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2012

Karl - I hope you don't mind me chiming into your thread here. If you wish, I can remove the photos below...just trying to help convey the experience...

Stueveshots - I recall the hike being fairly easy/moderate if that's a concern for the family. It was the highlight of our trip to Skye. Since the landscape is so manicured by all the sheep, it feels like the world's first, most remote, and toughest natural golf course. With beautiful and reflective natural ponds acting as water hazards, craggy rocks jutting about, etc. You'll like come across sheep on your adventure between all the spires and interesting natural features. Here is Joey and my wife enjoying the experience a number of years ago:

IMG1098-Britain-M.jpg

IMG1114-Britain-M.jpg

IMG1116-Britain-M.jpg
    IMG1121-Britain-M.jpg
    -Chris D.
    http://www.facebook.com/cdgImagery (concert photography)
    http://www.cdgimagery.com (concert photography)
    http://chrisdg.smugmug.com (everything else)

• Options
    StueveShotsStueveShots Registered Users Posts: 544 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    Thank you, Karl, for the link. That will be so helpful to me!

Chris, I really appreciate the pictures (and trust that Karl did not mind). We were privileged to take our boys on their first overseas trip several years ago when we went to Scandinavia. They also still talk about that trip...I'm not sure a week goes by that it doesn't come up! So the experience you describe Joey having is exactly what I am seeking to find again with my family. This hike is going to be flagged on our map.
  • Options
    edited October 11, 2012
    Thank you, Karl, for the link. That will be so helpful to me!

Chris, I really appreciate the pictures (and trust that Karl did not mind). We were privileged to take our boys on their first overseas trip several years ago when we went to Scandinavia. They also still talk about that trip...I'm not sure a week goes by that it doesn't come up! So the experience you describe Joey having is exactly what I am seeking to find again with my family. This hike is going to be flagged on our map.

I have no problems with Chris' post :D

I'm just happy to see the level of excitement and interest in Skye generated by my post. Thanks for all of the feedback so far!

Karl
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2012
    what a lovely place and great photos! thanks for sharing
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    lifeinfocuslifeinfocus Registered Users Posts: 1,461 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    8 and 21 are my favs! Eight because of all the complementary and opposing lines and all the blue and grey colors in 21.

Thanks for posting. Great work!

Phil
    http://www.PhilsImaging.com
    "You don't take a photograph, you make it." ~Ansel Adams
    Phil
  • Options
    tjstridertjstrider Registered Users Posts: 172 Major grins
    edited October 15, 2012
    8 & 18 were my favorites looks like a really beautiful place! Great captures
    5D2 + 50D | Canon EF-s 10-22mm F/3.5-4.5 USM | 70-200mm f/2.8L | 50mm 1.8, 580EXII
    http://stridephoto.carbonmade.com
  • Options
    edited October 17, 2012
    Thanks for all the great feedback! It was truly an excellent experience to go to Skye for a second time. Very glad that I got the opportunity to do that.

Cheers,
    Karl
  • Options
    NeozynNeozyn Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited October 28, 2012
    Great sharing Karl, I always wondered about Scotland and now I know I must grab the gear and visit for sure. I liked # 7,8,18 and 20 some great shots. Very nice.
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2012
    Neozyn wrote: »
    Great sharing Karl, I always wondered about Scotland and now I know I must grab the gear and visit for sure. I liked # 7,8,18 and 20 some great shots. Very nice.

Thanks for the comments, Neozyn!

Scotland is truly a phenomenal place that you can't go wrong in visiting :D
  • Options
    choudhrysaabchoudhrysaab Registered Users Posts: 249 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2012
    WOW! there's so many AWESOME pix so i don't really know which one to call my favorite. Great shots. #9 is STUNNING!!! I wish one day I'd get the privileged of capturing such beautiful scenic views.