Options

Tamron New 70-200mm f2.8 lens

One Moment One ShotOne Moment One Shot Registered Users Posts: 63 Big grins
edited November 12, 2012 in Accessories
I am ready to upgrade to a new lens this weekend and was ready to order the Tamron 70-200mm f2.8 Di LD IF lens when I came across a New Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC USD lens to be released on November 30, 2012. The new one is twice the price of the older version. I shot mostly portraits, models, weddings and occasionally outdoor sports. Would I need this add stabilization with the new lens?

Also is the Tamron a good choice? My camera bodies are Nikon D300S and D5100.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited November 8, 2012
    The original, non-stabilized version, is said to be very sharp wide open but a bit slow to focus. For your needs I don't think that it would be too slow, however.

The newer stabilized version is an unknown, but expectations are pretty high. Focus speeds should be improved (because of the ultrasonic focus motor) and stabilization should help with slow moving and stationary subjects. Stabilization might be helpful during ceremonies which don't allow flash.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2012
    Thank You! That makes sense. I went ahead and purchased the Tamron 70-200 current version and will get it today.

Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

I am now leaning towards adding the 24-70 also.
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2012
    Interestingly the Sigma 35mm f/1.4 EX seems to cost the same as the new Canon 35mm f/2.0 non-L IS.
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2012
    Thank You! That makes sense. I went ahead and purchased the Tamron 70-200 current version and will get it today.

Looking forward to seeing what it can do.

I am now leaning towards adding the 24-70 also.

After you have shot with this lens for a while, stop back and let us know what you think of this lens, and possibly post a shot or two that was taken with it. I was thinking about purchasing this lens myself. I just purchased the 28-75 f2.8 and it seems to be a good lens so far. Still need to do some more testing with it.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2012
    Yes, I will do. Gonna practice with it this week and see what I can capture.
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2012
    Not a Good First Experience.

Went out trying my First Tamron lens (70-200mm) and appears I have a defective one. It will not (push/pull) into the AF Mode. Already packaged up and ready for return.

I found the Nikon 80-200mm f 2.8D ED AF that is just about the same price as the Tamron was. How well is this lens?
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited November 11, 2012
    ... I found the Nikon 80-200mm f 2.8D ED AF that is just about the same price as the Tamron was. How well is this lens?

The current Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED (also called the 80-200mm f/2.8 ED AF-D) is excellent optically, but it's an AF-D type meaning that it uses the camera's screw-drive AF motor, assuming that the body has a screw-drive AF motor.

Your bodies are the Nikon D300S and D5100. Of these the the D300S "has" an AF screw-drive motor, but the D5100 does not. That means that the Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED would be a manual focus lens (with focus assist) on the D5100 body.

There was an AF-S version of the 80-200mm, f2.8 zoom, and that model will autofocus on any modern Nikon body. It is also of high image quality but it's widely sought which keeps the used prices high.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2012
    Thanks! Looks like I am going back to Nikkor lens for now and get the 80-200mm f2.8. I'm okay with it working on my D300S only because D5100 was just my backup for now and next camera will have the screw-drive motor included. Will I be missing out versus the 70-200mm VR II on much. I was just going to wait another 3-4 months and get that one but the 80-200mm is right in my budget since I'm sending the Tamron unit back.

I need something additional for wedding photography so I'm not having to be so close.

Currently have the 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8G, and 18-55mm. Getting rid of my 55-300mm to replace with the 70-200 (80-200)
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2012
    Thanks! Looks like I am going back to Nikkor lens for now and get the 80-200mm f2.8. I'm okay with it working on my D300S only because D5100 was just my backup for now and next camera will have the screw-drive motor included. Will I be missing out versus the 70-200mm VR II on much. I was just going to wait another 3-4 months and get that one but the 80-200mm is right in my budget since I'm sending the Tamron unit back.

I need something additional for wedding photography so I'm not having to be so close.

Currently have the 50mm f1.8, 85mm f1.8G, and 18-55mm. Getting rid of my 55-300mm to replace with the 70-200 (80-200)

Dude if you're photographing weddings, take some of that $$ and put it into a 70-200 VR mk1. It is the best long-term investment you can make as a wedding photographer. The VR2 is not really necessary.

If you get the 80-200, it will be sharp as heck but the oldschool AF is a slug and much less reliable than AFS-G motors. That, plus the lack of stabilization will force you to constantly worry about shooting steady and keeping your shutter speeds up.

Just my two cents. As someone who has a couple hundred weddings under their belt...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2012
    Thanks Matt for the feedback. I'll be picking up my 70-200mm VR today as I found someone within a 100 miles of me selling one.

I'm excited about this lens.