Options

Canon 40d question

RachelinAZRachelinAZ Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited November 19, 2012 in Tutorials
I hope I explain this correctly.
I am trying to fix the metering. It is at a -1 and my photos come out dark (understandably). I am at a loss on how to change it to a 0 meter. It seems there are 2 places to change the metering. I believe one is flash related (which is set at 0). Without the flash, I can't seem to find the setting or get it to move. It is affecting everything except the Auto Program mode. It's driving me crazy, as I really like using the other settings.

Thanks in advance! Any advice is much appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,797 moderator
    edited November 17, 2012
    Rachel, the Program, Aperture priority, and Shutter priority modes have an EC, or Exposure Compensation, which may be applied to adjust the exposure to account for unusual lighting circumstances.

In order to adjust the EC value on the Canon 40D, turn the power switch beyond the "On" position to the "stick" position (the second on position, sometimes called the "hockey stick" power position.) With the exposure mode in either Program, Aperture priority, or Shutter priority, half-depress the shutter button and then turn the large control dial on the back of the camera (the "Quick Control Dial") to change the EC value.

Note that it doesn't work to just use the "On" power position; the camera power setting must be in the second power/hockey stick position first.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited November 17, 2012
    Very non-intuitive. I borrowed a 40d for a wedding once and could not work this out. good explanation.
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2012
    joshhuntnm wrote: »
    Very non-intuitive. ...

Correct! I do wish that Canon had a more direct method of EC control, and I have to do a refresher of my cameras' controls before any major shoot because they are so different from each other. (I hate that they are so different from each other.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 19, 2012
    Most of Canon's bodies with a Quick COntrol dial are configured that way, Ziggy. Not just the 40D, but almost all of Canon's bodies with a Quick Control dial are set up that way, even my 1Dx.

The Quick Control dial has three settings, Off, Lock, and On. Maybe that is not intuitive, but it is labeled. ??

What I get tripped up by, is the camera body resetting my shutter speed back to a slower synch speed ( 1/250th typically ) when you add a flash unit to the camera, even when you are shooting in fully Manual Mode on the body, and you know you wanted 1/500th or faster.

I guess there is always something.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2012
    pathfinder wrote: »
    Most of Canon's bodies with a Quick COntrol dial are configured that way, Ziggy. Not just the 40D, but almost all of Canon's bodies with a Quick Control dial are set up that way, even my 1Dx.

The Quick Control dial has three settings, Off, Lock, and On. Maybe that is not intuitive, but it is labeled. ??

The Canon 1D/1Ds series through the 1D Mark IV all had discrete buttons on the top for EC. Sorry to see that go away.

Even the early dRebel bodies had discrete EC buttons, although in a different location on the body. (EC was up top for the 1D/1Ds bodies, and on the back for the dRebels.)
    pathfinder wrote: »
    ... What I get tripped up by, is the camera body resetting my shutter speed back to a slower synch speed ( 1/250th typically ) when you add a flash unit to the camera, even when you are shooting in fully Manual Mode on the body, and you know you wanted 1/500th or faster.

I guess there is always something.

Right, although using a Canon 580EX at least you can set it in FP/HSS mode and use flash for closer subject matter and high shutter speeds. (Yes, I still use FP/HSS mode quite a bit.)
    ziggy53
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 19, 2012
    I use HSS a lot too Ziggy, especially after over exposing a shot because the camera reset my shutter speed too slow out doors in the sunlight the first time.ne_nau.gif

The 1DMk4 also had the Quick Control dial mode of changing +/- EC, as well as the button on the upper left of the camera you mentioned. I just have always used the Quick Control wheel to alter EC as I can do that without removing my eye from the viewfinder.thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin