Options

Post-Shoot Proofing for Clients

kcuikcui Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited November 19, 2012 in Finishing School
A friend of mine recently let me take engagement photos of him and his fiance, they were not planning on hiring a photographer and this was kind of my gift to them. My ulterior motive was to use this as a learning process, as I have never done event-type photography (nature and landscape).

All that said, between myself and my girlfriend we came out of the shoot with about 250 "usable" images, some of which will be discarded, other's of which we will take to the next level.

We are going to pick a set of 20-30 images to choose as the official set, and give the remainder some touch-ups (but nothing too time-consuming) and hand them over with the other 20-30.

My question is, in general, when should one let a client into the process of narrowing down choices? Do I do basic correction/adjustments then have a proof session? In this particular case, I may be in a unique situation as this is a gift for a friend.

Thanks.
A work in progress...

http://kristophercui.com

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited November 1, 2012
    It can be very dangerous to let the client participate in the culling and or choosing images process.

They will want everyone of them even the OOF shots. It won't matter if 6 images are almost identical they will ponder over which one for way too long.

Invariably they will choose a technically marginal image to print at 40" X 60".

For events I will pretty much give them everything in focus not counting duplicates, but for an engagement I would choose the images to give them. I / we can't know how important some random image of aunt Mary talking with uncle Bob is for them. The engagement images are telling a story. Too many images or images that are inconsistent will detract rather than add.

If they ask to see the rest tell them you are showing them all the good images and the rest were ether out of focus, blurry or duplicates and have been deleted.

All that said, since this is your first time and these are your friends let them participate. Show them all the images. Once you experience this once or twice you will never do it again. :D

Sam
  • Options
    kcuikcui Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2012
    Sam wrote: »
    It can be very dangerous to let the client participate in the culling and or choosing images process.

They will want everyone of them even the OOF shots. It won't matter if 6 images are almost identical they will ponder over which one for way too long.

Invariably they will choose a technically marginal image to print at 40" X 60".

For events I will pretty much give them everything in focus not counting duplicates, but for an engagement I would choose the images to give them. I / we can't know how important some random image of aunt Mary talking with uncle Bob is for them. The engagement images are telling a story. Too many images or images that are inconsistent will detract rather than add.

If they ask to see the rest tell them you are showing them all the good images and the rest were ether out of focus, blurry or duplicates and have been deleted.

All that said, since this is your first time and these are your friends let them participate. Show them all the images. Once you experience this once or twice you will never do it again. :D

Sam

Sam, thanks for the feedback.

We ended up culling the "bad" images (OOF, bad framing, poor lighting, etc...), and out of the "good" ones took the liberty of selecting 30 or so.

We did end up showing the rest of the "good" ones, and were going to provide them digitally, but said we would focus our creative efforts on the selected images.

Thanks again.
    A work in progress...

http://kristophercui.com
  • Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2012
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2012
    Sam wrote: »

Sam
    thumb.gifthumb
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited November 19, 2012
    Sam has nailed the answer, once again!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin