8MP Image, upscaled past 24x36''?

kcuikcui Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
edited November 19, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I have a client who is very interested in a canvas print of an image I took with my 7D. Unfortunately I cropped it down to 8MP when editing. I am confident that with upscaling I could get a decent print (at around 150ppi) @ 24x36''.

The client would like something larger, and unfortunately the next step up offered by the print service (WHCC) in that aspect ratio is 40x60'', and I am a little uncomfortable upscaling further and degrading the quality of the canvas print.

Is this something that is able to be accomplished while or is 24x36'' really the max I should go? Or is even that too larger? The image is B&W, if it matters.

For reference, this post recommendeds for an 8MP image, at 150ppi, you would get a decent quality image at 17x24'' (without going through an upscale algorithm).

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks
A work in progress...

http://kristophercui.com

Comments

• raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2012
    I use genuine fractals for scaling files for large prints. Then newer version is called "perfect resize"

https://www.ononesoftware.com/products/perfect-resize/?gclid=CIPq2ZmGzLMCFQyDnQodgmoAiw
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2012
    8MP should uprez with no problems...I used to shoot with 6mp camera and uprezed them to 40 x60 with Genuine Fractals....now there are some that will say that PS will do as good or better...I have never gotten as good of an image with PS uprezing as with Genuine Fractals...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2012
    Art Scott wrote: »
    8MP should uprez with no problems...I used to shoot with 67mp camera and uprezed them to 40 x60 with Genuine Fractals....now there are some that will say that PS will do as good or better...I have never gotten as good of an image with PS uprezing as with Genuine Fractals...

Wow, Art, a 67MP camera...what brand...lol...just kidding. I'll have to vote for Genuine Fractiles too...although, I've never used it for 40x60's sized prints.

You really meant 6MP...right...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Steve BalcombeSteve Balcombe Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited November 19, 2012
    What you can get away with is highly dependent on the viewing situation, and also on the subject matter.

If the subject is a large group of people, for example, then viewers will often want to get close to look at individual faces - so a lot of detail is needed. Another example is aerial photography of a property or neighbourhood, where people enjoy seeking out interesting details. But if this is a portrait, say, then most viewers will want to step back and take it in as a whole so much lower resolution is acceptable.

Subject to the above, if a shot is good enough to enlarge to say 18x12, then it is probably good enough to enlarge to practically any size. This is simply because the viewing distance tends to increase in proportion to the print size - no more detail is actually required. The main issue is to avoid visible pixellation, and upsampling using Photoshop's 'bicubic smoother' algorithm does that very well.
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2012
    Ed911 wrote: »
    Wow, Art, a 67MP camera...what brand...lol...just kidding. I'll have to vote for Genuine Fractiles too...although, I've never used it for 40x60's sized prints.

You really meant 6MP...right...

yes ed i really meant 6mp... ... ...
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• hamsterhamster Registered Users Posts: 361 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2012
    I've used Alien Skin's Blowup with good results.