Mini-challenge #154 : Things with Wings winner

jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
edited November 26, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Superduckv I agree with the bee wing comment made by[I forgot who] very nice :thumb

PedalGirl your Egyptian geese very nice composition long-billed Dowitcher or look into a Bar-tailed godwit also ,all your shots are :thumb

Zoom your Harris hawk is right up there in the top shots

Alan all three are very GOOD but the Bateleur Eagle is right up in the top shots your hawk with the kill is a great capture:clap

billseye the flamingo is well done the peacock the eye out of focus does not work well and your last shot is one of those captures:clap lots of wings

davev all three are top picks your eagle w/fish is up there for #1

Syncotion the duck is a very :ivarportrait ,well used light

Kent your first shot is great ,good comp ,putting it all together

grandma your second shot is very nice ,good capture ,and thank you for the feed back and making the post fun:D

superduck that one wins the flys away humor award :clap:rofl

travelways I really like the education in your first shot set ,that would be a great shot for showing kids the steps and like I said #2 all around great shot :ivar

linyangchen your #1 & 2 are great shots but you cost me a lot I want a 400/2 now ,I did take my 300/2 out for a walk [it is one great lens] I know how hard the first shot is to get I go for it every time I am in the right place ,Last shot is good one of those:dunno that is still a keeper

chris the duck shot great capture ,that many in focus well done and I still do not believe that many dflys in one frame :huh

pixelpeeper first shot you have the idea and the eye:wink but need to work on exposure ,that is a great capture !!The owl very good

Donna all three top shots in the top 5 #1 I love the color and exposer but the background in a shot like that:scratch #2 the kestrel you nailed the head on shot not easy I throw so many of those away I think the hawk is the best all around shot of the 3

Kscooper osprey nice capture looks like in bad light to boot #2 would be my pick this round if the angle was better that is wildlife shooting :dunnobut butt shot are hard to win even with me [inside joke]

slpollett all three are really good clean butterfly shots #2 is my pick

Yangchen the flight shot is a very good example of a 2.8 lens 300 mm 2.8 400mm 2.8
the 2.8 group 70/200mm 2.8 etc

Lisa the bats a great I know what they are but have not seen the big ones like that ,the small ones I have seen all my life around L.A. too many with rabies

explorish all 3 again very nice last one in the humor :roflgroup second one portrait :thumb

Puzzledpaul great shots top 3 first shot the level and exposer :huh this shot had a bit to do with my final vote ,really well done

Jay you have a real good eye for composition :thumb bee shot is real nice

OK so my final picks are Zoom Alan Chris Davev Puzzelpaul Travelways and Donna any one could win .I sent the link to 3 photoguys for a look and the comment from 3 as well as me to look and look again [and these only look at their work] was the bite in the hand .A great photo no but one that gets looks and looks ,what I think of as a capture .You look and then look in to see what is in the shot ,that makes for a great shot so Puzzel the answere is you win and pick the next challenge

Thank you all for the support ,and adding input ,education as well as fun hope everyone had a good time ,well more than just a puzzel
Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/

Comments

• superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited November 21, 2012
    Congratulations! There really was no other choice. It's an exceptional and extraordinary photograph. This one was really fun!! Really enjoyed it!
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    Well, thanks, Jeff (and advisors? ) ... it seems the plain brown envelope stuffed with 'twenties' made it in time :)

Thanks for choosing a topic that produced such a good number of great shots ... suspect it'll be difficult for me to follow.

Busy day here today, but will have a ponder over theme etc and hope to have the next up by tomorrow

Thanks again to all - and pleased / glad the initial sacrifice wasn't in vain ... or should that be vein?

pp
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    I think with the holiday you can take a few days to start the new #155 . Davev's eagle w/fish was there for #1 from the start it was not a easy choice that is why I ask for a few to take a look [non dgrinners] if not it would be a coin flip for me.

Happy turkey day a thing with no wings today:cry :D the challenge was a fly by :ivar
    Jeff W

• Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    Very well done - outstanding image!

Alan
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    The winning shot is great.
    It's a shot I'll never get, cause I can't stand the bloodsucking little ....

Congrats PP and thanks jwear for a fun challenge.
    The comments were really fun during this, it reminded me of challenges of old.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • kscooperkscooper Registered Users Posts: 387 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    Great shot, pp - a well-deserved winner! thumb.gif

Thanks, Jeff, for running such a good show and thanks also to all who contributed. I enjoyed seeing everyone's shots.

Eric

good gear; not enough time
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    Agreed. An exceptional shot. Well-deserved winning selection among a strong field.
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited November 22, 2012
    davev wrote: »
    The winning shot is great.
    It's a shot I'll never get, cause I can't stand the bloodsucking little ....

Congrats PP and thanks jwear for a fun challenge.
    The comments were really fun during this, it reminded me of challenges of old.

Thank you davev Yep you and I remember it was shoot :D post rolleyes1.gif and learn headscratch.gif we have lagged a bit I think .I would have got that shot --but folks would say what is that red spot headscratch.gif
    Jeff W

• linyangchenlinyangchen Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Thanks Jeff for chairing this round and to everyone for such a fun and eye-opening experience clap.gif puzzledpaul's contribution stood out the moment it was posted - even with the proper equipment you can imagine how difficult it is to show just how bloody a mosquito bite really is bowdown.gif
    where Photons meet Black Holes
    www.linyangchen.com