Mini Challenge #155 - Six Legs

puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
edited December 14, 2012 in The Dgrin Challenges
Mini Challenge #155 - Six Legs
<!-- #dg-post-title --><!-- message --><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start --><!-- END TEMPLATE: ad_showthread_firstpost_start -->
Subject matter can be anything - natural or man-made ... or a mixture of both.
Only 6 legs to be in shot ... either visible or implied (ie if a person is in shot, but legs not actually seen, it'll be assumed they've got 2 legs.

Person playing with 4 legged pet on grass - ok
Ditto but sitting on a chair / sofa etc - not ok.
(legs associated with fleas on either party will be ignored)

Moody shot of pool / snooker table with ball going down pocket - ok
Ditto with player or part of player in shot - not ok.
(assuming 6 legged 'proper' table)

No pulling 2 legs off spiders to take a valid shot.
Being able to see all or part of all legs will probably get extra 'brownie' points.
I'm not partic a cat / dog lover - so shots with such critters in will obviously be valid - but they'll have to be somewhat special ...

A shot with 2 pairs of kids / ppl crossing the finish line of a 3-legged race will be an exception ... especially if it's a dynamic shot with no other ppl in frame.

I'll not post a sample / example, since it'll just be another boring insect macro ...

The contest will be open until December 13, 2012 - 1200hrs UK Time.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

Comments

• ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    This is the first time I am joining. It looks like fun!
    I have only found one, I hope I am doing it right.

6 legs in a desert

I did a preview of my post and the quality is not so good.
    So if you want to see it better: http://share-my-travels.smugmug.com/Travel/Namibia/26567581_HFz36D#!i=2220787898&k=LwsLMBz&lb=1&s=A

Claire
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    Very interesting challenge! Will look for some others to add, but will start off with this one.

San Simeon
    untitled%20shoot-001-3-Edit-Edit-L.jpg

Finally adding a 2nd shot...

Begging!
    untitled%20shoot-001-2-Edit-L.jpg
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    Interesting theme first thing thought of waas insects but went and searched for something different.

ICPTakeoff-L.jpg

TresCranes-XL.jpg

IMG_0044-XL.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    DsrtVW wrote: »
    Interesting theme first thing thought of waas insects but went and searched for something different.

yep - I hoped there'd be scope for ppl / wildlife / macro ... and 'others' to find something.

If I was entering, I'd be tempted to sling in a pic of a rig I've recently made for mrs pp ... a video cam slung underneath a 6ft length of 2x2in timber ... attached to 2 tripods :)

... or even a pleasing arrangement / still life of (discrete) electronic components, possibly ?

pp
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    I suspect that I'll be updating these till the last minute.

Ready for Launch
    p1254609498-5.jpg

Three Amigos!
    p1329476162-5.jpg

Sunset Bridge
    p1323411112-5.jpg
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    6 legs now brains ? I will get back to you --liquid brain

JW3_398711-XL.jpg

I do not know were he went sis ??

WLJ_518311-L.jpg

Ok this is dragon on so 6 on a perch

JWS_02431-L.jpg
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited November 23, 2012
    if it was a duck it would be really super eek7.gifthumb I would say it fits great idea clap.gif superduckz 2+2+2=6
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
    edited November 24, 2012
    sd - in view of the fact I mentioned this to mrs pp and she thought you deserved a break ... I'll let it through the thin crack in the (very) heavy door that was rapidly closing shut.

jw - what can I say ? nice pic (#1) and try ... but no ... and my better 90% agrees this time (you brought in external advisors, so why shouldn't I? :) ) anyway - you're getting your break from the DF's leg shadows.
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2012
    1) Man and Horse Power

IMG_6724-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

2) Scurrying Rosemary Beetle

IMG_0931-XL.jpg

Inspired by PedalGirls lovely bench shot I decided to put this in.
    Not great, but slightly interesting as I am the one sitting, I'm 6ft4 and no editing / "photo shopping" has been done to it!
    Composed, setup and remote released.

3) Feeling Insignificant

IMG_0525-XL.jpg

I might dig around for something more interesting later.
    Good luck everyone.

Alan.
  • pixelpeeperpixelpeeper Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2012
    IMG_5305-Edit.jpg

6 legs in view - balancing on 2. Interesting concept - I particularly like the bench..
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited November 24, 2012
    I've decided to go with not-so-good photos that show off my children. Taken with point and shoot cameras in the 80's

1985%2520Jan%252000000571-99.jpg

My son in a clinic on a horse that is basically blind in one eye. He's about 14 in this one and he's now 40.

82-07-000001330047%25209-21-2011%252011-52-48%2520AM.jpg

My 3rd daughter on her pony. I was the fence judge at this fence. She's about 13 in this photo (she's now 43). This is a training level fence and she went on to the international level on this pony the next year.

1985%2520Jan%252000000571-72.jpg

This is my 2nd daughter doing dressage on a big TB in 1985. In the case my oldest daughter, all the horse photos I have of her that are any good were taken by someone else.

The other photo I had which I thought was two male statues, when I looked it turned out to be one female and one male.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited November 25, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »
    ... // The other photo I had which I thought was two male statues, when I looked it turned out to be one female and one male.

I was thinking it was a case of slightly inebriated carver /sculptor ... overdoing the 'man boobs' and chisel slipping ... :)

pp
    edited November 25, 2012
    I think that would be an extra-special circumcision.
  • kscooperkscooper Registered Users Posts: 387 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2012
    This is the first time I am joining. It looks like fun!
    I have only found one, I hope I am doing it right.

6 legs in a desert

I did a preview of my post and the quality is not so good.
    So if you want to see it better: http://share-my-travels.smugmug.com/Travel/Namibia/26567581_HFz36D#!i=2220787898&k=LwsLMBz&lb=1&s=A

Claire

Wow, Claire - this looks to be an exotic location! Where was this shot?

Eric

good gear; not enough time
    edited November 25, 2012
    PedalGirl wrote: »
    Very interesting challenge! Will look for some others to add, but will start off with this one.

San Simeon
    untitled%20shoot-001-3-Edit-Edit-L.jpg

Very creative interpretation, and a nice shot to boot!

Eric

edited November 25, 2012
    DsrtVW wrote: »

ICPTakeoff-L.jpg

TresCranes-XL.jpg

IMG_0044-XL.jpg

Chris - I love those Sandhills.

Eric

edited November 25, 2012
    superduckz wrote: »
    I suspect not but I'll ask anyway. Does this qualify? Seriously?

Can't answer your question - well beyond my pay grade!

Eric

edited November 25, 2012
    jwear wrote: »
    6 legs now brains ? I will get back to you

I do not know were he went sis ??

Ok this is dragon on so 6 on a perch

Jeff -I'm thinking six legs and maybe two brains max?:D Really like the treatment on the second (and third).

Eric

edited November 25, 2012
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    1) Man and Horse Power

2) Scurrying Rosemary Beetle

3) Natures Delicate Bonds

I might dig around for something more interesting later.
    Good luck everyone.

Alan.

Alan - Three terrific shots (as usual). The colors on that beetle are amazing (never seen one): do you think it is due to pigments or maybe to diffraction caused by natural nanoparticles?

Eric

edited November 25, 2012

Some challenging terrain in that photo! Were was it taken?

Eric

edited November 25, 2012
    I've decided to go with not-so-good photos that show off my children. Taken with point and shoot cameras in the 80's

My son in a clinic on a horse that is basically blind in one eye. He's about 14 in this one and he's now 40.

My 3rd daughter on her pony. I was the fence judge at this fence. She's about 13 in this photo (she's now 43). This is a training level fence and she went on to the international level on this pony the next year.

This is my 2nd daughter doing dressage on a big TB in 1985. In the case my oldest daughter, all the horse photos I have of her that are any good were taken by someone else.

The other photo I had which I thought was two male statues, when I looked it turned out to be one female and one male.

Three lovely memories of three talented children, I'd say.

Eric

edited November 25, 2012
    Here are three from the recent and not-so-recent archives . . .

Six legs in 2011 Collegiate USA Women's Ultimate National Championships:

original.jpg

Six legs in Women's 4x400m relay from 2012 Big XII Track and Field Championships:

original.jpg

Six legs in equitation:

original.jpg

Eric

edited November 25, 2012
    kscooper wrote: »
    Some challenging terrain in that photo! Were was it taken?

I sort of assumed it was Ghengis Khan territory - based on the size of the animal and the tack as much as the terrain. How close am I?
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2012
    Alan - Three terrific shots (as usual). The colors on that beetle are amazing (never seen one): do you think it is due to pigments or maybe to diffraction caused by natural nanoparticles?

Thanks kscooper.... as far as the beetle colours go ... I've no idea really other than a brief google...

Many beetles of this type seem to be described as both metallic and iridescent, I'm not actually sure which really applies here as I suspect different processes for each. Pearlescence may be yet another process. Anyway this is what I found if of any use...

"Iridescence is often caused by multiple reflections from two or more semi-transparent surfaces in which phase shift and interference of the reflections modulates the incidental light (by amplifying or attenuating some frequencies more than others).

This process, termed thin-film interference, is the functional analog of selective wavelength attenuation as seen with the Fabry–Pérot interferometer."

A bit above my pay grade and not my words! However, I think it is the same process that creates colours when you look at a CD / DVD on angle.

This one was in a bit of a hurry, which I'm not surprised, as it was only two months ago quite high up in the french alps and running out of time fast! Quite lovely, and irresistible to my camera, but I believe they are widely considered a pest .

Alan.
  • pixelpeeperpixelpeeper Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    I sort of assumed it was Ghengis Khan territory - based on the size of the animal and the tack as much as the terrain. How close am I?

Hi - the photo was taken in Gorak Shep, Nepal - about an hour away from Everest Base Camp. This guy was breaking the horse in galloping around on a huge dried out glacial lake bed. I didn't put up the photo taken later where the horse has a bleeding mouth, but you can see its heading for quite a fight between them in this one!
  • zoomnzoomn Registered Users Posts: 142 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Wow, a great challenge, but a tough one.

1. High school soccer

Wey-Walpole%2010-12-11-78-L.jpg

2. Colonial Williamsburg

Williamsburg_6285-L.jpg

3. Beth and Preston (edited because chairs do indeed have four legs!)

i-MNvZbhL-L.jpg
  • ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    Wow, Claire - this looks to be an exotic location! Where was this shot?

Hi

It was taken in Namibia a few weeks ago. I did a 2 week holiday there and it was amazing ! So many different sceneries. This photo was in the South of Namibia, inland from Lüdertiz. There were also wild horses around.

Claire
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
  • linyangchenlinyangchen Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    rolleyes1.gif the commandment about 6-legged spiders!

Airbus Industrie A330 preparing for takeoff, Singapore-Changi International. Hopefully each landing gear bogie qualifies as a leg, the wheels being the toes eek7.gif

i-26ND76V-L.jpg

Physoconops sp., a wasp-like fly, Sungei Buloh Wetland Reserve, Singapore

i-CZpF3gx-L.jpg

The view through a rubbish bin, Cambridge, UK

i-ZxGXG4f-L.jpg
    where Photons meet Black Holes
    www.linyangchen.com
    edited November 26, 2012
    zoomn wrote: »

3. I count six

However, we both know that tables and chairs - certainly the latter when someone's sitting on one ... have more than one leg ... so, nice try, but no go :)

(and yes, I'm aware of the existance of such items as single stem bum supports as used by the hunting and shooting types ... but I suspect this isn't one of them)
    rolleyes1.gif the commandment about 6-legged spiders!

Airbus Industrie A330 preparing for takeoff, Singapore-Changi International. Hopefully each landing gear bogie qualifies as a leg, the wheels being the toes eek7.gif

If you can prove that such beasts as A330s only have 2 landing gear legs - I'll let this one thro ... otherwise, no go too :)

If it'd been 2 a/c with gear down ... and nowt else with 'legs' either visible ... or implied ... ok.

(nice 3rd pic, btw)

pp
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    1. Oblivious - from the Album cover challenge.

Oblivious2SquareAdjust6-L.jpg

2. Snowy Day
    P1500491Adjust-L.jpg

3. Forever

P1240835CropFixBW-XL.jpg