Options

RAW processing help please.

DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited November 24, 2012 in Finishing School
I somehow lost the Capture NX disk that came with my D300. I’ve read about long term issues with Nikon software that are pushing me away from them. What is out there that is easy to use for processing RAW picture files?

I take pictures of friends, family, pets, and to a lesser extent some sports, landscapes, and wildlife. I tend to sort through the shots then fuss with each keeper instead of doing batch files. I never upgraded to NX2. NX worked fine for me most of the time.

Capture NX did not recognize the D600 I rented (my fault not Nikons) and would not let me process raw files, but it would let me process jpg files. I will have to upgarde software for the next camera when that finally happens. So the lost disk is forcing my hand to upgrade software/workflow that would have come later. This would be a good time to learn a new work flow and make changes that might help my photography in general.

The current computer is a 5 or 6 year old Dell Desktop using Vista. I am considering a switch to an Apple desktop or laptop for the next computer. The computer will be replaced before the camera. I am not a gamer, photo processing currently the most prossor intensive computing. In the future I would like to dabble with programs that allow HDR and stitching.

Now please excuse me while I use the 17-55 Nikkor to hammer my big toe while using two fingers to tap a thousand times, "thou shall always properly store software after each and every use".
John

Comments

• Options
    DaCDaC Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited November 24, 2012
    Sorry all. Found answers in Digital Dark Room.