Options

CF Card Reader for MAC?

photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
edited December 1, 2012 in Accessories
I am looking for a CF Card Reader for my MAC that is using an USB 2.0. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Chris

Comments

• Options
    Rocketman766Rocketman766 Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2012
    Well since you are a sports shooter member, I assume you need the fastest possible one out there.... but if speed is not a concern, (not sure if it is still available) but I have been using a CF reader I bought at RadioShack (powered by Dazzle*... written on the front) for a few years and I love it. It has a nice deep slot for the CF to sit in which makes me feel safer. It is a USB 2.0 and I have never had any issues with it (knock on wood). I know this wasn't much help, I guess what I am saying is you don't have to spend a fortune to get a good one.

Lance.
  • Options
    photodad1photodad1 Registered Users Posts: 566 Major grins
    edited November 25, 2012
    Yes, speed is a factor but quality is priority. I had an issue the other night where one of the pins in the CF card reader bent when I placed the card in it and I wasn't able to upload my photos and I didn't have my spare CF Card Reader with me. The software I use doesn't recognize my camera when I connect it directly so that I couldn't use that method.
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited November 26, 2012
    I use a Sandisk but don't know if they are available any more. I bought a baskup one recently. It's a Dynex. Works well enough. I use both on my iMac and my MBP.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited November 30, 2012
    I have changed my tune on this now. I have been through about 8 of these stupid things, and they all fail one way or the other. Most fail internally somehow, no longer reading my cards. I have had expensive ones and cheap ones.

So now, I just consider them disposable. I currently have a Belkin 8 way, and it reads my SD cards, but the CF reader doesnt work for some reason. For that I currently use a portable Kingston reader that works well (for the moment).

I recommend you just buy whatever you can find, esp if its on sale. I stick with the known brands (ie not the knockoff chinese stuff), on the assumption that there is some benefit to the brand, but I suspect that its all chinese knock-off, regardless of brand.

Here is what I have:

Belkin: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F4U003-Universal-Media-Reader-Black/dp/B001IAWBIK/ref=lh_ni_t (mine is older)
    Kingston: http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Flash-Memory-Reader-FCR-HS219/dp/B00109Y2DQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354284598&sr=8-1&keywords=kingston+portable+card+reader
  • Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 1, 2012
    I use a Lexar model # LRW025URBNA ($44.99) and it has worked great so far! I attached an image of what it looks like. <!-- / message --><!-- attachments -->

<FIELDSET class=fieldset><LEGEND>Attached Images</LEGEND><!-- BEGIN TEMPLATE: postbit_attachmentimage -->attachment.php?attachmentid=35719&stc=1&d=1331937799

</FIELDSET>

The main problem with most CF card readers is they place the pins too far forward in the opening for the card, and if card is not inserted perfectly straight, and aligned with pins, the pins get bent. The card reader above has the pins set back further in so that the card is almost half way in before it contacts the pins, thus insuring proper alignment. I hope this helps those who have been having problems finding a good CF card reader.

Extremely versatile—reads 25 popular memory card formats*
    Leverages SuperSpeed USB 3.0 technology for high-speed file transfers, with a USB interface speed up to 500MB/s**
    Enables concurrent downloads and card-to-card file transfer
    Pop-up design protects card slots
    Quickly and easily transfer photos, videos, music, and files
    Includes USB 3.0 cable—no external power supply needed
    One-year limited warranty

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams