Options

Something a Little Different

Colorado CJColorado CJ Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
edited December 28, 2012 in Accessories
I bought a PhotoSniper setup a couple years ago and have been using the included Tair 3 300mm F4.5 Preset lens almost exclusively for my wildlife photography.

Well, I just bought a Russian 500mm mirror lens from the Ukraine and thought I'd use the photosniper stock with the lens and my Sony Nex 5n camera for a compact, 750mm equivalent focal length system.

I made a pushrod setup to work with the trigger and added a metal holder for the pushrod to hold it right over the shutter button. The trigger on the stock works great! Using the stock REALLY helps steady shots using such a long lens. I can get clear, sharp images down to 1/500 sec. with this setup.

Well here are a couple of photos.

8212032032_843a32c457_o.jpg
3M-5A-MC-with-Photosniper-Stock-1 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

8212031670_9d465b948c_o.jpg
3M-5A-MC-with-Photosniper-Stock-2 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

8212030988_4b90a10bdd_o.jpg
3M-5A-MC-with-Photosniper-Stock-3 by Colorado CJ, on Flickr

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited November 23, 2012
    Cool. A very nice use, and mix, of old technology and new technology. clap.gif

Any image samples?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    photogreenphotogreen Registered Users Posts: 180 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2012
    very cool! looks like AKM-47... almost :)
  • Options
    Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    Wow, this thing looks like you want to launch a rocket from it or something ... are you seriously going to use this in public? :D
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • Options
    joshhuntnmjoshhuntnm Registered Users Posts: 1,924 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    Interesting; never seen anything like that before.
  • Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    Cool, looking forward to the results!
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    If I remember right, this was first developed for Russian spies, so they could get long distance shots of vital facilities and such. Here's a little more history on these. These say only several hundred were made, so you might have a collectible there.
    http://cameras.alfredklomp.com/fs12/

or here
    Who used the FS-2?

http://tomtiger.home.xs4all.nl/fs-2/fs-2.html#uses
    • Some high ranking party officials (they received them as gifts)
    • The NVKD, before known as the OGDU but better known after WWII as the KGB.
    • The Red Army (Recon Units) for use with observationposts and Deep Recon (going behind enemy lines and making shots of enemy strongholds)
    The most famous user of the FS-2 was Nikita Khrouchtchev.
    I will quote this famous story from Princelle;
    "The story goes that Nikita Khrouchtchev, a famous amateur photographer and proud owner of a FS-2, went one morning to the neighbouring Krasnogorsk to have it serviced and was suprised that the factory no longer made them. The fist secretary's wish was granted in 1965 with the arrival of the Zenit-E. That year, 350 Zenit-E and 15 PhotoSniper outfits were to be marketed." End of quote.

The first Fotosnaipers, called FS2's, were produced between 1937 and 1943 by VOOMP-GOI, a Leningrad plant, with a total production of less than 500. According to Princelle's book, the camera was intended for military use, and available in olive green and black. The lens was a GOI 300mm f/4.5 of, again according to Princelle, exceptional quality. The body was a FED that was hooked up to a special GOI mirror cage, the shutter of which was triggered by, indeed, a trigger[/COLOR]
    The first Fotosnaipers, called FS2's, were produced between 1937 and 1943 by VOOMP-GOI, a Leningrad plant, with a total production of less than 500. According to Princelle's book, the camera was intended for military use, and available in olive green and black. The lens was a GOI 300mm f/4.5 of, again according to Princelle, exceptional quality. The body was a FED that was hooked up to a special GOI mirror cage, the shutter of which was triggered by, indeed, a trigger."The first Fotosnaipers, called FS2's, were produced between 1937 and 1943 by VOOMP-GOI, a Leningrad plant, with a total production of less than 500. According to Princelle's book, the camera was intended for military use, and available in olive green and black. The lens was a GOI 300mm f/4.5 of, again according to Princelle, exceptional quality. The body was a FED that was hooked up to a special GOI mirror cage, the shutter of which was triggered by, indeed, a trigger.The first Fotosnaipers, called FS2's, were produced between 1937 and 1943 by VOOMP-GOI, a Leningrad plant, with a total production of less than 500. According to Princelle's book, the camera was intended for military use, and available in olive green and black. The lens was a GOI 300mm f/4.5 of, again according to Princelle, exceptional quality. The body was a FED that was hooked up to a special GOI mirror cage, the shutter of which was triggered by, indeed, a trigger.
  • Options
    MHartfordMHartford Registered Users Posts: 6 Beginner grinner
    edited December 28, 2012
    That is a sweet looking setup. It'll probably help improve your skeet shooting skills as well ;)