Options

Display filenames when caption or title

mrhonimrhoni Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited December 7, 2012 in SmugMug Support
This is publishing from Lightroom to Smugmug

From what I gather, for gallery settings, if the photo has a value in the IPTC metadata for the field Caption, then the value from Caption will be displayed. I don't see any option, without customization, to allow both or always display the filename.

i then removed the text from the Caption field and added different text in the Title field. I republished and now the photo in the gallery displays the text from the Title field.

I then have different text in the Title and Caption field and republished. Now both title and caption are displayed.

If I want people to identify photos by the file name it seems both title and caption must be blank. The gallery settings only mentions caption and does not mention title.

Also, in my case, I don't necessarily want the title or caption to be seen within Smugmug, just for my own use in Lightroom.

Known issue? Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2012
    In the SmugMug publish plugin in Lightroom, you can choose whether to use the caption, title or both as the SmugMug caption:
    20121205102118-01769x1810221.jpg
    You can find the setting in the Lightroom publishing manager.

If you don't wish the SmugMug caption to be populated by Lightroom, the only way I'm aware of doing that is to not include metadata when you publish your photos. You can find that option in the publishing manager > SmugMug > metadata section. If you change the metadata option from all to something else, the caption shouldn't be included anymore.

In your gallery, if you enable the "filename" setting, it only has an effect if no caption is present as then the filename would be displayed.
    If you'd like to have your filename show even if a caption is present, check out #43 of the customization faq (that works in SmugMug style).
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    mrhonimrhoni Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited December 6, 2012
    I tried out #43 from the cutomizaiton faqs.
    This will display at the bottom left of the photo
    Filename: abc.jpg

but

also the filename is displaying in the caption field. This is seen when I have gallery settin g"Show filename for photos with no caption?" set to YES. If I set this to NO, then neither show up and the CSS does not force the filename: abc.jpg to appear.

The code from #43 is
    #fileNameBoxWrapper {
    display: block;
    }
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2012
    If you don't wish the filename to show twice in that case, you could add something to the caption. With a caption present, it would replace the filename.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2012
    I used to add <> to empty captions so the file name wouldn't show.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog