Options

Search by photo ID problems

SylvainSylvain Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited December 7, 2012 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Hi,

Back in October I added about 100 photos in my gallery. Each photo has a caption which includes all sorts of information and the photo ID. When I used 'Search' in my gallery and entered any photo ID, the photo would come up in the results.

But, since then, I added 400 new photos in the same gallery and they do not come up in the search results if I type their ID, while the first 100 still do. This is kind of weird.

I would like for all my photos to be 'searchable' by ID only, what am I missing here?

Thanks, Sylvain

Comments

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited December 3, 2012
    Sylvain wrote: »
    Hi,

Back in October I added about 100 photos in my gallery. Each photo has a caption which includes all sorts of information and the photo ID. When I used 'Search' in my gallery and entered any photo ID, the photo would come up in the results.

But, since then, I added 400 new photos in the same gallery and they do not come up in the search results if I type their ID, while the first 100 still do. This is kind of weird.

I would like for all my photos to be 'searchable' by ID only, what am I missing here?

Thanks, Sylvain

Hi Sylvain

Can you provide a link to the gallery please? It may simply be that the files have not been indexed by the search tool yet, so this may resolve with time. However, we'd need to look at the actual gallery and photos to have a better idea of whether there has been a change to settings etc. to cause a problem.
  • Options
    edited December 3, 2012
    Ann McRae wrote: »
    Hi Sylvain

Can you provide a link to the gallery please? It may simply be that the files have not been indexed by the search tool yet, so this may resolve with time. However, we'd need to look at the actual gallery and photos to have a better idea of whether there has been a change to settings etc. to cause a problem.

Sorry, should have provided it.
    FYI -> The last 400 photos have been posted more than a month ago, and the IDs still don't show up in the results.

http://www.polarphotogallery.com/

Thanks, Sylvain
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 4, 2012
    Hi Sylvain,

I see what you mean and asked our QA team to take a look. For the time being, could you leave the gallery as is without making any changes? I'll let you know again once our team had a look.
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 4, 2012
    No problem, I can wait.

Thanks for looking into this.

Sylvain
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited December 5, 2012
    Alright, I heard back from our team . Lets take these two photos as examples:
    1. http://www.polarphotogallery.com/Main/Gallery/25684965_6ddkmT#!i=2182841205&k=zzQDp92

2. http://www.polarphotogallery.com/Main/Gallery/25684965_6ddkmT#!i=2197285665&k=qNBQH2j

While the latter doesn't come up searching for the ID, the photo is indexed and you can see it searching for other parts of the caption, like Ursus maritimus. There seems to be a tiny (not visible) difference in formatting of the caption for both photos that's causing the ID 353 to not be indexed for search. This might come from the way you added the caption to the photo. For example the second photo already has parts of the caption included in the metadata of the photo so you only had to manually add the ID.

That said, the fact that the second photo doesn't come up in search searching for the ID does look like a bug on our end and our QA team will investigate this further.

You should be able to work around the issue by adding a space after the ID in the photo caption. I did give it a try on the previous photo with ID 352 and it's now coming up if you search for 352.
    Note that adding a space doesn't seem to trigger a search update unless you do it from the caption/keyword tool from the Tools button. After making the change, it may take a while for the search index to update.

Since you've customized away the whole breadcrumb which contains the owner tools as well, I would suggest that you change this CSS code in your advanced customizer:
    .loggedIn #breadcrumb {display: none;}
    to:
    .loggedIn #breadcrumb {display: block;}
    That way the breadcrumb would still be hidden for visitors, but you wouldn't have to make any changes to your advanced customizations to be able to use the owner tools in your galleries.

Something else I noticed is that many of your new uploads to the gallery do not have any captions, like this one:
    http://www.polarphotogallery.com/Main/Gallery/25684965_6ddkmT#!i=2187204655&k=8wgpgJc
    Only the filename shows but that's not searchable. For those photos to come up in search, you would need to add a caption and perhaps some additional keywords as needed.

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited December 7, 2012
    Hi Sebastian,

Photo ID -> Thanks for the workaround, I'll try that in the coming days.

Breadcrumbs -> I knew there was something to be done about that, just didn't know how to fix it permenantly.

Missing caption -> I knew filenames were not indexed. It's just a matter of having the time to complete all the captions and keywords.

I'm also glad you took the time to look around, much appreciated!

Sylvain