Options

Texas and Tennessee IRs

lulalakelulalake Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
edited October 20, 2005 in Holy Macro
Here are afew newer IR shots.

This is over the Blanco River from an ultra-light (my first time up, wowie!)

48304880.jpg

The Judas Tree, well actually a funky old dead Oak in Rockport Texas (On the Texas Coast) that looked pretty spooky in visible light too.

50400071.jpg

This is a small mountain at the foothills of the Smokey Mts. in Tennessee that has been taken over by the dreaded Kudzu plant.

48177227.jpg

All taken with a Maxmax IR modded Sony F828.

Cheers

Jules

Comments

• Options
    SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    Hi there Jules
    lulalake wrote:
    Here are afew newer IR shots.

This is over the Blanco River from an ultra-light (my first time up, wowie!)
    The Judas Tree, well actually a funky old dead Oak in Rockport Texas (On the Texas Coast) that looked pretty spooky in visible light too.
    This is a small mountain at the foothills of the Smokey Mts. in Tennessee that has been taken over by the dreaded Kudzu plant.
    All taken with a Maxmax IR modded Sony F828.
    Cheers
    Jules
    I was looking at the leg in the first shot (love the hole in the pants :D ) and I was wondering what sort of craft that was taken in .......my brother, and my cousin have Ultra Lights but your legs are not outside the main frame when two people are in it.....our summer is yet to come, and I will get my chance to finally get up with my cousin cause he works similar hours to me and he said he would take me up any day clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif its harder to go up with my brother cause of the kind of hours he works, it's great fun being up in an Ultra Light, and I like it much better than being in a small plane......what did you think of the actual flight?? and would you go up again ???

Adding colour to IR is something I can't figure out for some reason rolleyes1.gif
    It's very effective, the dead tree came up real nice didn't it.

Thanks for sharing........ Skippy (Australia)
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    Skippy wrote:
    I was looking at the leg in the first shot (love the hole in the pants :D ) and I was wondering what sort of craft that was taken in .......my brother, and my cousin have Ultra Lights but your legs are not outside the main frame when two people are in it.....our summer is yet to come, and I will get my chance to finally get up with my cousin cause he works similar hours to me and he said he would take me up any day clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif its harder to go up with my brother cause of the kind of hours he works, it's great fun being up in an Ultra Light, and I like it much better than being in a small plane......what did you think of the actual flight?? and would you go up again ???

Adding colour to IR is something I can't figure out for some reason rolleyes1.gif
    It's very effective, the dead tree came up real nice didn't it.

Thanks for sharing........ Skippy (Australia)
    Hi Skippy,

Hey those are my best pants!!!:D I don’t know the brand of the UL but there is this fellow who lives near me who is an instructor. I friend of mine is taking lessons and I asked to take some shots of her taking off etc and she consented.

I got there a bit early and the nice fellow offered to take me up for a spin. I sure didn’t turn it down. It was great fun. It was a slightly windy day so it was a bit adventurous, nothing scary at all but it gave him a bit of a challenge and a way to show his flying skills which are considerable.

I had great fun and will certainly go up again.

Here are a few more shots of the UL, Sylvia, and George the instructor.

Getting Ready: (35mm Provia, Canon EA1-P)

51032632.jpg

The Crew: (35mm Provia, Canon EA1-P)

51032601.jpg

Takeoff: (120 Provia, Mamiya 645SFD)

51032563.jpg

About IR Color, The shots in the first post were all taken with an IR modified, Sony f828. The internal IR filter has been removed and replaced with clear glass which gives me loads of options, screw on filters, no filter, colored filters etc.

The first one is with no external filter and the Hue has been manipulated (PhotoShop)

The second one was taken with an orange filter and the white balance set to incandescent light..(White balance is a key in IR color)

The third is a three shot pano using with a Hoya R72, then pretty heavily manipulated in PhotoShop.

There are a number of ways to get good strong and light color with IR. It seems to largely depend on a couple of factors. One is the camera, two, the filter/s or lack of same, and three, the software available.

Some cameras give pretty great color with only slight manipulation using a Hoya R72 filter, The Nikon 950 is one that comes to mind and perhaps the best out of the box camera, for quick IR, the Sony 717.

PhotoShop seems to be the best color manipulation software but many people use Paint Shop Pro.

Here are some URL’s about color techniques for specific cameras that may (or may not) work for your camera. They are certainly worth a try.

http://www.mxcat.com/ircolor.html

This is a bunch of excellent links about IR photography in general:

http://infrareddreams.com/infrared_links.htm

Here is a compendium of IR techniques that our own Andy Williams has kindly compiled. (The mother of all Sony IR techniques)

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read.asp?forum=1009&message=7558421

This may get you started.

Oh, Here is my Yahoo IR photography group:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Infrared_Photography/

Come hang if you like, there may be folks there with experience with your camera.

Cheers

Jules

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited October 20, 2005
    way cool, jules :D
  • Options
    edited October 20, 2005
    andy wrote:
    way cool, jules :D
    Hey Andy Thanks man.
    Hope all is well with you and the Williams clan. I've been doing a lot of film recently, way fun!

Jules