Options

Talk me into/out of an RRS BH-40

eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
edited December 10, 2012 in Accessories
So I'm currently using the Feisol CT-3401 with a Photoclam 36NS head. The combo was a huge step up from the previous $100 tripod but, after fiddling with the head on a sunrise shoot this morning, I'm starting to consider the RRS BH-40 instead.

Photoclam link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827534-REG/Photo_Clam_PCBH_PC36NS_Ball_Head_with_Friction.html

The price on the Photoclam was great when I bought it and was the major selling point. It has been a solid little ball head with a few minor nits.

This morning, I found the move from landscape to portrait annoying with having to depress the safety catch button and fight a bit to get the camera (with Kirk L plate) to come out.

I've also never figured out how to use the small rotating adjustment and tend to just clamp tight with the big wheel when the camera is in position.

I've heard rave reviews here and elsewhere about the BH 40 but just hoping someone can clear up what benefits I'll see.

The quick release seems great - hoping/expecting it is buttery smooth to get the camera out and repositioned.

How easy/difficult is it to get the hang of the two adjustment knobs?

Is there a set point at which the camera will be locked tight but freely adjustable with movement?

Does this sweet spot need to be found with every lens change? Is that easy/hard/pain in the butt???

Thanks
E

Comments

• Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,199 moderator
    edited December 6, 2012
    Into.
    The BH-40 is a great head! And their most popular for good reasons. Unless you are shooting with huge rigs, the thing is solid enough. There are three knobs. I can't remember the last time I touched the drag knob (set on 5), so for me the one main knob is really all there is to it, other than the lower knob to spin the head around 360, which I do from time to time. I use their PCL panning clamp atop it (with its own 360 rotation and knob) for clamping the L-brackets I have on my camera bodies.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2012
    I've got the BH-40 and with a 7D or 5DIII and 70-200 it works just fine. Once you get the drag set it very smooth to position. No movement when you tighten up the lever unless you are in a really off balance position... and then very little.

I added the leveling base to it so pans stay level. I have a RRS tripod too, the lever doesn't fit other brands. If you need a leveler though it worth switching to an RRS tripod to get the RRS leveler. Likewise very smooth and quick to tighten.

I had a Kirk head of similar size before, but find the BH-40 easier to postion and tighten.

eoren1 wrote: »
    So I'm currently using the Feisol CT-3401 with a Photoclam 36NS head. The combo was a huge step up from the previous $100 tripod but, after fiddling with the head on a sunrise shoot this morning, I'm starting to consider the RRS BH-40 instead.

Photoclam link: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/827534-REG/Photo_Clam_PCBH_PC36NS_Ball_Head_with_Friction.html

The price on the Photoclam was great when I bought it and was the major selling point. It has been a solid little ball head with a few minor nits.

This morning, I found the move from landscape to portrait annoying with having to depress the safety catch button and fight a bit to get the camera (with Kirk L plate) to come out.

I've also never figured out how to use the small rotating adjustment and tend to just clamp tight with the big wheel when the camera is in position.

I've heard rave reviews here and elsewhere about the BH 40 but just hoping someone can clear up what benefits I'll see.

The quick release seems great - hoping/expecting it is buttery smooth to get the camera out and repositioned.

How easy/difficult is it to get the hang of the two adjustment knobs?

Is there a set point at which the camera will be locked tight but freely adjustable with movement?

Does this sweet spot need to be found with every lens change? Is that easy/hard/pain in the butt???

Thanks
    E
  • Options
    Dan7312Dan7312 Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited December 7, 2012
    Hit enter too soon:D

I don't have the quick release mount, I have the knob one. You may need to get an RRS L bracket to use the RRS quick release... When I got my head RRS said if I sent them my (KirK) L bracket they would check it for me, but I went for the knob instead. I'm sure the quick release is quicker, but the knob is no slouch, but you do have to be sure you tighten it... with the quick release you can visually check that it is locked.

For landscape I would think you would want a leveler. Without it most of the time is you change the pan you will have to change the tilt too or the horizon will move. Even for the stuff I do it's leveler makes it quicker when I have to pan a little to get the frame I want.

http://reallyrightstuff.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=TA-2-LB&type=0

As long is the camera is in balance position, i.e. about level, the drag setting doesn't change when you change lenses. However it the camera is off balance, i.e. really tilted, I find the drag changes between the 24-70 and the 70-200 lenses. However the drag setting has a scale on it, so just remember the number for each lens.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 9, 2012
    Thank you David and Dan. Appreciate the input.

I did ask the Kirk guys about the L bracket and was assured it would fit. I have an email stating 'Yes it will fit fine' so if there are any issues, I intend to contact them. The QR is what is really selling me on the BH-40.

The (hopefully) more intuitive drag selector is what I am wondering about at this point.

Will be waiting a bit on the decision.
  • Options
    cab.in.bostoncab.in.boston Registered Users Posts: 634 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    Does the QR lever open the jaws wide enough to lift out the arca-plate, or just enough to slide it out sideways? I use a Kirk BH-3 (after Dan was kind enough to let me come over and check out the one he was using at the time). It has a knob to tighten the jaws, and I prefer it that way. I would be a little concerned with the lever either not being quite tight enough (probably not something to really worry about with equipment the caliber of RRS's), or the idea that it might inadvertently snag on a piece of clothing or something as you pick up the tripod and open itself. With the knob, I can snug it up as tight as I want, and have no fear picking up the whole rig and walking with it over my shoulder. I can loosen it a small amount and slide the L-plate out sideways, or loosen it more and lift the camera up and out to reposition for portrait orientation. To me, the knob tightening just gives me a little extra feeling of security. Probably unwarranted, as I imagine the RRS is very secure, but I still just get warmer fuzzies with the knob.
    Father, husband, dog lover, engineer, Nikon shooter
    My site 365 Project
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    I love mine!!

...heck, take that back.. I love ALL my RRS gear! Amazingly well made, sturdy, works brilliantly! I get a big smile every time I get a chance to utilize any of it!
  • Options
    kurtwkurtw Registered Users Posts: 100 Major grins
    edited December 10, 2012
    Does the QR lever open the jaws wide enough to lift out the arca-plate, or just enough to slide it out sideways? I use a Kirk BH-3 (after Dan was kind enough to let me come over and check out the one he was using at the time). It has a knob to tighten the jaws, and I prefer it that way. I would be a little concerned with the lever either not being quite tight enough (probably not something to really worry about with equipment the caliber of RRS's), or the idea that it might inadvertently snag on a piece of clothing or something as you pick up the tripod and open itself. With the knob, I can snug it up as tight as I want, and have no fear picking up the whole rig and walking with it over my shoulder. I can loosen it a small amount and slide the L-plate out sideways, or loosen it more and lift the camera up and out to reposition for portrait orientation. To me, the knob tightening just gives me a little extra feeling of security. Probably unwarranted, as I imagine the RRS is very secure, but I still just get warmer fuzzies with the knob.

The lever will open 90 degrees at which point the plate will slide but not tip/lift out. If you open it fully (180 degrees), then you can tip/lift the plate out. I've never experienced any problem with the lever snagging on anything and it's reassuring to be able to visually confirm that it's closed rather than having to rely on knowing how much tension is on the knob.

Since your issues sound like they are mainly related to the clamp, you might check to see if the RRS clamp will fit your Photoclam ball. The RRS clamps come in many different attachment options to fit non-RRS balls.
    http://reallyrightstuff.com/Items.aspx?code=ClampsLR&key=cat

Regardless, I definitely know that I'll be using my BH40 head (and RRS tripod) longer than any modern camera body I'll ever own.