Options

Interesting......Mac not reading card or camera??

ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
edited December 15, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
I had a recent shoot with a client that wanted pics downloaded right to his computer, a nice new iMac. I took the card from my D3s and it would not read it. Then even more interesting was that the computer did not see my D3s either when plugged in with a USB cable? This camera and card have only ever mated with a PC. Is this the issue? Was it that the files were all NEF? So the Mac would not even look at them?

Weird? Macs are weird creatures. :scratch

Now I am exporting all files to a HD as DNG & JPG to be safe. Will the iMac read it?

Comments

• Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2012
    Should have read the card and NEF fine, they are all supported. If he has changed the setting in Image Capture, its possible that nothing will happen when plugged in (which is often what you want if you use Lightroom or Bridge to import).

Click on Spotlight, then type "Image Capture" then hit enter. Check to see what settings its on. At the least, Image Capture should show if the camera is connected.
  • Options
    ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2012
    I'm not talking tethered. Just importing files from a disk or camera and seeing the files. It wouldn't even show up as a device on his screen.
  • Options
    bike21bike21 Registered Users Posts: 836 Major grins
    edited December 14, 2012
    Repairing permissions often solves this. Not sure why it happens exactly, but it has always worked for me the few times it has happened.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited December 15, 2012
    Zerodog wrote: »
    I'm not talking tethered. Just importing files from a disk or camera and seeing the files. It wouldn't even show up as a device on his screen.

When you plug the camera in (USB), you can usually read it with an image capture program-iPhoto for example. If you plug the card into a card reader on the mac, it should automatically appear on the desktop-usually right under the hard disk icon--double click and the finder should read the card.

When stuff doesn't mount, it usually is a permission problem. From the disk utility, run the permission repair tool to resolve that.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?