Mini Challenge #156 - Unique Point Of View (pov)

TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited January 13, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Mini Challenge #156 - Unique Point Of View (pov)

First of all - you may be relieved to know that... while I momentarily considered a challenge theme whereby each of you would choose images for your (active or non-existent) Facebook profile cover photo, that lame idea was swiftly discarded as likely to be met with yawns, not to mention more than a few "ughs!" (just kidding!)

Then I came up with "Outhouses" (broadened to include most any image of thrones or throne accessories) - which I still think has merit for some future MC, but...

In the end, it was both the "shadow" view of my camel pic combined with puzzlepaul's repeated mention of "pov" in his kindly critiques of the last challenge that rang my chimes.

Indeed, while these challenges are most surely meant to be FUN, I'm also keen on the opportunity they bring for improving my own photography and most especially - nudging me to "think outside the box" whence my finger hovers over that shutter. Thus, I'm intrigued with the notion of what creative photog "pov"s you all can come up with.

To clarify: This challenge is not as broad as billseye's (brilliant) MC (#129 What's the Point?) i.e. no droll pics of pointy things, please. Rather...

Here we want to seriously consider the pov of the photographer when the shutter snapped. Not just a close-up of an interesting subject or a mildly interesting angle. But images that demonstrate a DELIBERATE point of view of the photographer. A conscious attempt to shoot from a viewpoint a bit different. Images that you can tell at a glance that the photographer didn't just snap whatever was in front of his/her nose, but put some THOUGHT into framing the shot, stooping low, pointing high, climbing up and looking down, etc.

Often simply getting down at the subject's level can make a world of difference. But we're looking for more than that here in this challenge. linyangchen's view through the waste bin in the last challenge is a fine example. In short, show us a pov that's truly unique - something that makes us go "Wow! I never would have thought of that!"

That said, subject matter for this challenge is utterly OPEN. Shoot anything you like, but let's see what you all can come up with from a FRESH POV.

As for sample pics - see separate post below.

[Liability Disclaimer] The TravelnLass shall not be held responsible for medical fees incurred from broken limbs and/or concussions inflicted whilst - for example, standing on one's head in the middle of a Saigon intersection to snap a pic for this challenge.

After conferring with puzzlepaul, due to the holidays hurtling towards us at the speed of light, I've opted to add an extra week to the usual three week span for this competition:

The contest will be open from now (~2300 hrs on 15 December, here in Asia) until 12 January, 2013, 1200 hrs. Vietnam time (GMT +7 hours).

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!
"I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
TravelnLass.com

Comments

• TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2012
    Sample Pics for Mini Challenge #156 - Point Of View
    O.K. Can someone please tell me - is it me, or... why is the text in my earlier post BLACK on gray, instead of WHITE text???

In any case, it looks like this sample pic post is gong be white on gray, so...

I must admit, my own image files are woefully lacking in inventive povs - most are pretty much vanilla same-ol' travel pics of stunning temples and colorful exotic markets. Nice, but... nothing to write home about.

My only excuse is that normally when I'm traveling, I'm too busy trying to keep warm in some frigid ger out in the middle of freekin' NOWHERE, and/or tip-toeing around stray yak turds as I squat under the stars to take a wizz, to uh... wax very creative in my photog pov. Still, I figure that the more often I manage to think about injecting a unique pov in my photography, the better. With any luck, eventually it might even become second-nature.

And that's what I hope to accomplish in this challenge - to nudge YOU too into carefully considering what makes a unique pov, and hopefully, incorporating more of such in future shoots.

Now then, on to a few samples to crank up your pov juices:

Try a reflection - on a shiny building, in a mirror on a motorbike, in sunglasses, a silver bicycle bell, etc. (though you might want to stop short of those cliche reflections in Christmas ornaments on the tree). (Costa Rica)

00000costarica-0224-opt-resized-L.jpg

It may not be the most picturesque travel shot, but - how better to convey the rugged, pot-holed muddiness of the bumpy road to Tikal in Guatemala, than to get literally "down and dirty" for the shot?

0000early-belize-0178-opt-resized-L.jpg

After awhile, even majestic Mayan temples all look the same - try framing/veiling them with something in the foreground. (Belize)

000belize-0012-resized-L.jpg

Again, not the most technically wondrous shot, but the Bintang beer ala bare toes POV surely tells the story (can you spell R.E.L.A.X.?) (Pulau Weh, Sumatra)

00P1030201-resize-L.jpg

And finally, (speaking of "toes") a small stash of photos from the point of view of my "Travelin' Toes in Situ" collection. Now a personal photographic tradition wherever my feet take me, it's a perspective that clearly reminds me that "I've been there."

000000MyFeetCollage-L.jpg

Now it's your turn. I can't wait to see the no doubt amazing pov variations you all come up with!
    TravelnLass.com
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2012
    I doubt I have much for this one, but I do have at least one!

1. This is a picture of a playground as reflected in a granite marker. My daughter was playing in the playground, but I kept looking at the reflection in the marker. Finally decided that I just HAD to take a picture of it. :D

PC293858-L.jpg

These two aren't challenge entries, but I'm adding them to show a 'regular' view of same playground and another reflection that actually shows me taking the picture.
    PC293860-S.jpgPC293859-S.jpg

I'll try to see if I can find any others that may have interesting POV's.

Edited to add:
    2. A view of our nation's Capitol. This shot was taken with a Canon Powershot. We were in a tunnel that connects the Senate office building to the capitol building. I looked up through one of the skylights and saw this.
    IMG_0156-1-L.jpg

3. From below
    pa111541%20%282%29-L.jpg

Sherry
    edited December 15, 2012
    slpollett wrote: »
    I doubt I have much for this one, but I do have at least one!

This is a picture of a playground as reflected in a granite marker. My daughter was playing in the playground, but I kept looking at the reflection in the marker. Finally decided that I just HAD to take a picture of it. :D

PC293859-200x200.jpg

I'll try to see if I can find any others that may have interesting POV's.

Sherry

That's the idea slpollett, and thanks for showing us the opposite view.

And yes, I'm certain you have at least one other great pov in your collection - I checked out your SM site, and there's one "view" there in particular under "Popular Photos" that would be perfect for this challenge...
    TravelnLass.com
  • slpollettslpollett Registered Users Posts: 1,189 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2012
    Oh...you're RIGHT!! I had forgotten about that shot! (I think I picked the one you were talking about.) I edited my original post to add it. :D Thanks for reminding me!!

Sherry
    edited December 15, 2012
    slpollett wrote: »
    Oh...you're RIGHT!! I had forgotten about that shot! (I think I picked the one you were talking about.) I edited my original post to add it. :D Thanks for reminding me!!

Sherry
    Yep, that's the one. A perfect example of seeking a unique pov. I mean, g-knows there's a gazillion shots of our nation's capitol, but it pays to glance UP once in awhile to perchance see it from a wholly unique perspective.
    TravelnLass.com
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 15, 2012
    1) Real shot.

IMG_9497%20moon%20over%20sandhill%203-XL.jpg

2) Getting down low.

304670689_H2FzC-X2.jpg

3) This is the area leading in the wave.
    I was high up in a place that I couldn't get to the edge safely, so I put the camera on 10 second timer, put it on my 7 foot monopod, and held it out over the edge.

IMG_2302%201-X2.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    Congrats TL on your win - and what a fun theme!!

1) Greek Beach Time

IMG_5440-XL.jpg

2) Ups a Daisy.

IMG_5462-XL.jpg

3) Last Shot on the Roll - A nod and fond farewell to Film and Kodak, and the days when you always made your last shot count!
    Tricky one handed, but alas... a digital shot though.

IMG_9262-XL.jpg

Good luck everyone.

Alan.
    edited December 17, 2012
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    Congrats TL on your win - and what a fun theme!!

3) Last Shot on the Roll - A nod and fond farewell to Film and Kodak.

Good luck everyone.

Alan.

IMG_9262-200x200.jpg

Laughing.gif Alan! Seriously, was that REALLY your last image taken with FILM?
    TravelnLass.com
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    IMG_9262-200x200.jpg

Laughing.gif Alan! Seriously, was that REALLY your last image taken with FILM?

Opps ... sorry I didn't mean to imply it was my last film shot ... it was a 100% digital SLR shot for another challenge with the theme of "self referential" Humour about Photography - but about the time of the Kodak troubles so also a bit of a tribute to missing the days of only having "one shot left in the can" and making it count ... so to speak!

Updated the caption to make it clearer.

Alan.
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    Here are 3 images I've taken from my Unique Point of View. I hope they fit this topic. :)

1. African Violet
    i-fhfgtrN-XL.jpg

2. A Child's Playground
    i-BKx74nL-XL.jpg

3. Reflections
    i-RRvJ8GF-XL.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    Uninpressed...
    p1258601070-5.jpg

The Pier Tunnel
    p1366364838-5.jpg

Florida Christmas!
    p1342835326-5.jpg
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,941 Major grins
    edited December 17, 2012
    This is a very hard challenge for me because I have so many choices and I don't think the really interesting ones are that good photographically - mostly because they were shot with a film camera a long time ago (like 1960-1964) - a Kodak Retina Reflex. I had no tripod and no flash and film was a bit slower than we had later on. So after I picked about 50 I decided to stop and just submit the ones I liked best.

This one was a self portrait in a round compact mirror taken in 1960. A couple of years previously I had done a painting of the same thing only in that I had the hand holding the mirror in the picture. I couldn't get the camera to focus on the hand holding the mirror though, so I left it out.
    0635-00310013.jpg

I was of course much younger then. (I just turned 75 last month)

This one was the first one I though of when you said POV. I don't think it is a very good photo, but I've never seen one just like it. It was taken as I was going up the Eiffel Tower in 1964 with the same camera. I can't figure out which way is up so I may have it upside down or sideways :) Something I've read makes me think that this photo would not be possible anymore.

x1690760-Eiffel_Tower-Paris.jpg

And this digital one, I just thought was funny - taken with my brand new Canon camera in Nov 2011 from the deck of a cruise ship

IMG_0130.JPG
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • tinamarie52tinamarie52 Registered Users Posts: 954 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    1. Books

58.%20Books_-L.jpg

2. A Dog's Perspective

65.%20A%20Dog%27s%20perspective_-L.jpg

tinamarie52 (Chirs)
    http://chrisadamczyk.smugmug.com

When you come to a door... walk through it.
    If it's locked... find an open window.
    edited December 19, 2012
    Just popped in here and oh my - a most interesting assortment of "pov"s dropping in here. Gonna be tough to choose...

And not to worry grandmaR - we're not looking for technical perfection here at all - but rather, the creativity of the photographER to deliberately find/shoot from a unique pov.

Your 3 shots all fit that bill, and I'm especially glad you mentioned that #1 is of a mirrored compact - I never would have guessed - well done!
    TravelnLass.com
    edited December 19, 2012
    Just popped in here and oh my - a most interesting assortment of "pov"s dropping in here. Gonna be tough to choose...

I was going to ask if you thought this photo fit the challenge (not sure)....
    i-VZLGtLZ-M.jpg

... or if this photo might fit better? I took this for the Scenic challenge, but this challenge description actually was what inspired me to look for this sort of shot. Laughing.gif

Reflections
    i-RRvJ8GF-M.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • ShootingStarShootingStar Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2012
    OK. Thanks for theme TravelnLass. It actually made me go through my photos and realize that I do not always make an effort, except the fact that I always try to frame my picture with a tree.
    So here are 3. I hope they fit the requirements.

First one is at Sesriem Canyon. The group was photographing the canyon and I loved their shadows on the wall of this canyon.
    Group photo
    P1000191-L.jpg

Second one shows cradle mountain in Tasmania
    Cradle within a branch
    Tasmania65-M.jpg

And finally, I told you I loved trees. The focus is not very good and it is too centered but it shows 2 icons of Australia is a way that you do not often see, so I have decided to add it too.
    Icons of Australia
    IMG_1774-L.jpg

I looking forward to seeing more of what you come up with.

Claire
    Nature can be so different around the world but it is always amazing!

Travel Blog English: http://www.zigzagonearth.com
    Travel Blog French: http://zigzagvoyages.fr
    Infoproduct Creation Blog : https://structurinfo.com
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2012
    Congratulations TravelnLass for your win!

This is a very interesting challenge - great idea :)

Here are some of mine:

1. In the rain

2. Up or Down?

Up or Down?

3. Newfoundland

* I fixed the links to these images - hopefully they will work now.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • CHANDLERJACHANDLERJA Registered Users Posts: 400 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2012
    Not sure if these are the type of shots you were looking for but here goes! :D

1. Up!

UPRS%20FINAL-L.jpg

2. Bug View

Ant%20Views-L.jpg

3. Aged

FAITH-L.jpg
    Jeromy
    http://snaptx.smugmug.com/
    Light is everything in life and photography.
    edited December 19, 2012
    tinamarie52
    Are you feeding the DOG that meat? Or does he just get to look at it :)

Shooting Star - I like the Canyon one best of yours. My dad used to do the thing with the trees too. And he also made me wear something red so I could be a figure in the foreground to lend interest. This is an example - I'm wearing the red skirt - taken in 1950 M2007-00220010.JPG
    (I didn't usually like wearing red).

The one of the bridge and Opera House must have been difficult to figure out where you could get both into them, but I think the tree leaves really detract a little.

travelways- love the ornament reflection. So appropriate for the season.

edited December 19, 2012
    grandmaR wrote: »
    tinamarie52

Shooting Star - I like the Canyon one best of yours. My dad used to do the thing with the trees too. And he also made me wear something red so I could be a figure in the foreground to lend interest. (I didn't usually like wearing red). The one of the bridge and Opera House must have been difficult to figure out where you could get both into them, but I think the tree leaves really detract a little.

Thanks a lot grandmaR for the feedback!
    I am new to all that. The australian one is from before I started paying more attention to my pictures. I did not have the technique back then. Still don't have but trying to :D. Although I still do not like too much editing. I like pictures when they reflect what the photographer experienced.
    Funny that your dad made you wear red, because this is my favorite color! Made me laugh a lot.
    Thanks again.

edited December 20, 2012
    Jenn wrote: »
    I was going to ask if you thought this photo fit the challenge (not sure)....
    i-VZLGtLZ-200x300.jpg

... or if this photo might fit better? I took this for the Scenic challenge, but this challenge description actually was what inspired me to look for this sort of shot. Laughing.gif

Reflections
    i-RRvJ8GF-200x300.jpg

Definitely the 2nd photo Jenn - it clearly demonstrates a unique viewpoint, a deliberate attempt to shoot the scene in an unusual way.

While the fog... imho is simply a view of you driving down the highway as usual, on a foggy morning. I think it would be tough to capture fog from a unique point of view - unless it was very thick and you could somehow capture perhaps... a view from BENEATH it or something. It would be neat to see how any of you all here might have captured a unique view of fog...
    TravelnLass.com
    edited December 20, 2012
    OK. Thanks for theme TravelnLass. It actually made me go through my photos and realize that I do not always make an effort, except the fact that I always try to frame my picture with a tree.
    So here are 3. I hope they fit the requirements.

First one is at Sesriem Canyon. The group was photographing the canyon and I loved their shadows on the wall of this canyon.
    Group photo
    P1000191-300x200.jpg

Oh my yes, ShootingStar - given that I just returned from a month in Oz, these look uncannily familiar. ;)

The juxtaposing of the Opera House/Bridge is most interesting - quite a tricky viewpoint no doubt. My own of such icons are pretty "meh."

But I'm especially curious about the...Sesriem canyon? Is that Kata Tjuta in the background? Reason I ask is 'cuz the profile looks somewhat familiar:

P1070585-300x200.jpg
    TravelnLass.com
    edited December 20, 2012
    Oh my yes, ShootingStar - given that I just returned from a month in Oz, these look uncannily familiar. ;)

The juxtaposing of the Opera House/Bridge is most interesting - quite a tricky viewpoint no doubt. My own of such icons are pretty "meh."

But I'm especially curious about the...Sesriem canyon? Is that Kata Tjuta in the background? Reason I ask is 'cuz the profile looks somewhat familiar:

P1070585-300x200.jpg

Thanks a lot!!!
    I used to live in Australia. Saw amazing places. I have a shot of Uluru with a tree framing it but I had to make a selection... I also have a shot of my feet in pristine water and white sand so I laughed a lot when seeing all your feet pictures.
    But actually the sesriem Canyon is in Namibia where I was on vacation in October. It is just nearby the Sossusvlei sand dunes. This country is also amazing with very different landscapes.

edited December 20, 2012
    Definitely the 2nd photo Jenn - it clearly demonstrates a unique viewpoint, a deliberate attempt to shoot the scene in an unusual way.

While the fog... imho is simply a view of you driving down the highway as usual, on a foggy morning. I think it would be tough to capture fog from a unique point of view - unless it was very thick and you could somehow capture perhaps... a view from BENEATH it or something. It would be neat to see how any of you all here might have captured a unique view of fog...

Great! Thanks for letting me know. I really wasn't sure about the 'fog' photograph. I went ahead and swapped the 3rd image to the 2nd one, the "Reflections" photo. This topic really inspired me to go looking for something different. :D
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
  • linyangchenlinyangchen Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited December 21, 2012
    Thanks for organizing this new mini challenge. I'm really enjoying the diverse subject matter, innovative pov's, abstraction and the striking composition of the photos. thumb.gif Here are two from myself:

Notting Hill Carnival 2012, London. I discovered what the inside of a drum looks like eek7.gif

i-dWJVzWn-L.jpg

A Cessna 421 on the grass airstrip at Queen Elizabeth National Park, Uganda. headscratch.gif

i-ps55vnp-L.jpg
    where Photons meet Black Holes
    www.linyangchen.com
  • fjcvisualfjcvisual Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited December 21, 2012
    This can be difficult to capture for a seemingly simple concept. In any case, here are a few:

1. Straight Up
    i-h8mdzb2-L.jpg

2. Curving
    i-fvfNX5P-L.jpg

3. Crossing
    Yosemite-157-L.jpg
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    1. Books

58.%20Books_-L.jpg

tinamarie52 (Chirs)

I like this one a lot.
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    There's a lot of really quality photographs in this challenge. Really interesting theme!
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • linyangchenlinyangchen Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited December 23, 2012
    davev wrote: »
    I like this one a lot.

Me too. It not only has an unusual pov but goes one step further to mimic some other thing (e.g. flower).
    where Photons meet Black Holes
    www.linyangchen.com
    edited December 23, 2012
    Me too. It not only has an unusual pov but goes one step further to mimic some other thing (e.g. flower).

Me three.

And I also really like Jenn's substitute photo of the reflection. It's very interesting but I can't quite wrap my head around the photo of the Cessna - I don't know where I am.

It's the same with the drum picture, is the bottom of the drum open? Is the drum head transparent? How does that work.