Options

Delta 1 CS6 Jr Camera stand

Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
edited December 22, 2012 in Accessories
Greetings,

I've been looking for an affordable option for a camera stand, quite simply put I got tired of tripping over tripod legs and frustrated with having to adjust three legs for height.

It is not pretty but it is SOLID. The largest load it will see is ~5# and it's not a big deal to adjust for height by hand but I do plan on adding a counterweight.

B&H for $320 plus $70 to get it to Canada. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/118400-REG/Delta_00902_CS6_Jr_Camera_Stand.html

The next stand up is the Arkay 6JR-6 Mono Stand Jr @ $600 plus shipping. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2726-REG/Arkay_602421_6JR_6_Mono_Stand_Jr.html

I was informed before I picked it up that there was some damage to the carton. The legs were wrapped nicely in bubble wrap but there was no other packaging inside the box and the legs tried to escape :)

Shippingcarton.jpg

The stand weights in at 36# and is constructed of 2" square 1/8" thick steel, of course there was no damage. The footprint is 32" and the arm is 22".

Legsinbubblewrap.jpg

It is soon apparent that the manufacturer cut corners by not grinding any of the welds. And I'm fine with that if it keeps the price down !

Welddetails.jpg

The legs are attached to the upright with two 3/8" bolts. The holes didn't quite match up but it was quick work with a drill and steel bit to make an adjustment.

Legsdetail.jpg

For comparison purposes this is my smaller Velbon tripod alongside the camera stand.

Camerastandvstripod.jpg

Camera stand with my existing Velbon ball head and E-3/14-35 mm in portrait orientation.

Camerastand.jpg

Closer view from the working end..

Portraitback.jpg

The 2" locking casters are a bit awkward to get at but I found with my smooth floor and shooting tethered the stand is heavy enough to stay put without locking.

There was only 3/16" of threaded rod to mount the ball head but it does seem to be sufficient.

All in all I'm quite pleased and looking forward to a more efficient and less frustrating work flow.

Cheers, Don

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,864 moderator
    edited December 21, 2012
    Congratulations on the new camera stand. clap.gif

Nice write up too. thumb.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,914 moderator
    edited December 22, 2012
    Nice looking stand. Only a couple of comments. If you want to, you could replace the casters with a 3" polyurethane wheel that will definitely roll better (like an in-line skate wheel). The weld looks it's done with spray transfer-the idea behind spray transfer is that you don't have much cleanup to do afterward. They look better powder coated-the powder fills everything in nicely-but they should have at least gotten rid of the spatter first :D
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    That looks like it is begging for a laptop tray. Would be a killer Lightroom tethering solution.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    This one caught my eye, but with planning to move I decided to forgo the stand and went with a dolly for tripod.

Good Luck with it...looks sturdy enuff.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Don KondraDon Kondra Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited December 22, 2012
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Congratulations on the new camera stand. clap.gif

Nice write up too. thumb.gif

Thanks Ziggy, it's one of those things you wish you would have purchased years ago, sigh...
    ian408 wrote: »
    Nice looking stand. Only a couple of comments. If you want to, you could replace the casters with a 3" polyurethane wheel that will definitely roll better (like an in-line skate wheel). The weld looks it's done with spray transfer-the idea behind spray transfer is that you don't have much cleanup to do afterward. They look better powder coated-the powder fills everything in nicely-but they should have at least gotten rid of the spatter first :D

Don't think I will get around to upgrading the casters, the two inchers are fine and as I said it appears they do not need to be locked (on my floor). I also thought about grinding the welds myself, for about two seconds :)

After all, it's what's in front of the camera that matters, he, he...
    cmason wrote: »
    That looks like it is begging for a laptop tray. Would be a killer Lightroom tethering solution.

Under consideration but what is holding me back is I like to use a mouse. Another very minor point would be the need to adjust the angle of the screen everytime you adjust the height. The arm is hollow so it would be a simple matter to extend it to accomodate a 17" laptop and mouse.

It's funny how you get used to doing something one way and are reluctant to change :)

For now I have a small rolling cart for the laptop, it's also the right height to sit at and catch a short break while shooting...

Quite a while ago I ripped the cord out of the back of the camera and destroyed the connector so I'm Very Careful with the tether :)

Another thought would be to add another arm to hold the laptop/mouse ? It is a pain moving the camera/cart from one side of a setup to another but that doesn't happen very often. Hmmm :)
    Art Scott wrote: »
    This one caught my eye, but with planning to move I decided to forgo the stand and went with a dolly for tripod.

Good Luck with it...looks sturdy enuff.

That "stand" caught my eye too Art but you would never get any work done :)

Thanks for the comments everyone !

Cheers, Don