Options

Taking the plunge

CMAldridgeCMAldridge Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
edited December 24, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
So.... I quit my previous full time employment.

I was unable to find the time to work on making a plan and building a photography business. Since I had been able to get some funds reserved, and the situation with the "day job" wasn't improving, no seemed to be the time to take the dive.

I've taken the last couple of weeks to get some home projects in order. In addition to that I have been revamping my work space...the home office. I think it's important to have a dedicated area to work with clients and to be able to go and close the door when needed. I have years of small business and management experience.

The gigs I've been able to do seem to be in demand, even if they weren't the best paying jobs, I feel it gave me the initial experience I needed to make this move. I haven't identified a core market yet, I know some guys are very specialized, I don't feel I am there yet. My plan is portrait, theatre and event photography.

Once I get my office in order, I plan to work on exploiting social marketing, and SEO.

Reaching out for others advice on going full time. What advice can you give?

Comments

• Options
    AlliOOPAlliOOP Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    CMAldridge wrote: »
    So.... I quit my previous full time employment.

I was unable to find the time to work on making a plan and building a photography business. Since I had been able to get some funds reserved, and the situation with the "day job" wasn't improving, no seemed to be the time to take the dive.

I've taken the last couple of weeks to get some home projects in order. In addition to that I have been revamping my work space...the home office. I think it's important to have a dedicated area to work with clients and to be able to go and close the door when needed. I have years of small business and management experience.

The gigs I've been able to do seem to be in demand, even if they weren't the best paying jobs, I feel it gave me the initial experience I needed to make this move. I haven't identified a core market yet, I know some guys are very specialized, I don't feel I am there yet. My plan is portrait, theatre and event photography.

Once I get my office in order, I plan to work on exploiting social marketing, and SEO.

Reaching out for others advice on going full time. What advice can you give?

Verify with your state and county governments that you are allowed to actually see clients at the home office. You may be allowed to HAVE the home office but are not allowed to have the clients physically BE at the home office. It is impossible to take studio shots of non-existent clients.
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited December 18, 2012
    Make sure you have a website where visitors (and potential clients) do not have to wait 19 seconds for the first image on your home page to finally show up.
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2012
    Is mine taking that long for you? I think I can change it to have a splash image if so. Maybe I need to look into that!

But seriously? As new to photography business advice that is something I need to be really worried about?
  • Options
    edited December 20, 2012
    AlliOOP wrote: »
    Verify with your state and county governments that you are allowed to actually see clients at the home office. You may be allowed to HAVE the home office but are not allowed to have the clients physically BE at the home office. It is impossible to take studio shots of non-existent clients.

Excellent! Hadn't thought of that. And insurance permission too.
  • Options
    Hikin' MikeHikin' Mike Registered Users Posts: 5,458 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2012
    CMAldridge wrote: »
    Is mine taking that long for you? I think I can change it to have a splash image if so. Maybe I need to look into that!

But seriously? As new to photography business advice that is something I need to be really worried about?

I didn't think it took that long, and I have an old computer. FWIW, "mishenka's" site took more time to load then your's. If you add a splash page, I personally will never click though you page. I would just leave. Just something to think about.
  • Options
    mishenkamishenka Banned Posts: 470 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2012
    Hi, sorry for responding so late. CMAldridge - I re-checked your site: it loads extremely fast now, instantaneous. But that day when I wrote my initial message it was loading awfully slow. It might have been a glitch or my internet connection.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2012
    Oh good!

Mike, I wouldn't add a splash page just a static image that displays while the slide show loads, instead of the circular loading logo . I never used it because it never seemed needed.

Thanks for the feedback on the site.