Options

Wacom Tablets

LoganHLoganH Registered Users Posts: 113 Major grins
edited December 27, 2012 in Digital Darkroom
Hey everone, fairly new to the forums here. I was peaking around on the Wacom site tonight and had a quick question to ask.

I am by no means a professional(:cry), but heard that Wacom products last quite some time.

I am taking a Digital Photography course in college this coming semester and learning all about photoshop so I feel it is time to invest in a tablet:clap. I have used Lightroom for a long time, but just now diving into Photoshop itself.

I was wondering what is the main difference between the Intuos5 and Bamboo Create. If I go for the Intuos5 I would be getting the Medium. I know the pressure sensitivity is nearly double with the Intuos5, but any reasons I should just go for Bamboo Create for now? Again, I have been informed that Wacom products last for a long time, so I am not afraid to invest in a tablet that is a little more pricey.

Thanks for any input!!! Much appreciated. :thumb

P.S. Glad I found this forum, seriously great advice and people here so far! Knew right where to ask this question!:barb

Comments

• Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2012
    Hi Logan. You'll probably get mixed responses on the tablet deal. I have one myself, but don't always use it, I should. I have the Create, and I think if I would have had the bucks at the time, I would have went the Intuos route. The reason being, is the intuos has more buttons that can be configured for different actions, and the software is a better package for it. Plus that little ring looking thing on the side, controls ALOT. One thing I do love about the tablet in general is, the variable pen pressure. Much different than a mouse. You can lay down layers of an effect in PS, from a wisp to a sharp layer, and in LR, the variable width of the brush, is handy on the fly. Tablets do take pratice, to get used to using the stylus, but once you learn that, to me, they are faster and more refined than a mouse. Depending on who you ask, they will either love them or hate them. Good luck on whichever way you go.
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2012
    Thanks Novice!! Much appreciated!
  • Options
    tebogantebogan Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited December 24, 2012
    I have a Bamboo and love it. One of my friends calls it a magic pencil. I would like to have the Intous, but for the money, this works just fine for me. Mine is a 4X6 and fits my keyboard tray just fine. I still have a mouse connected so that programs that are difficult with a pen can still be done with a mouse.
    Photography is the art of making an image of what you see so others can see what you saw.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2012
    Hi Logan. You'll probably get mixed responses on the tablet deal. I have one myself, but don't always use it, I should. I have the Create, and I think if I would have had the bucks at the time, I would have went the Intuos route. The reason being, is the intuos has more buttons that can be configured for different actions, and the software is a better package for it. Plus that little ring looking thing on the side, controls ALOT. One thing I do love about the tablet in general is, the variable pen pressure. Much different than a mouse. You can lay down layers of an effect in PS, from a wisp to a sharp layer, and in LR, the variable width of the brush, is handy on the fly. Tablets do take pratice, to get used to using the stylus, but once you learn that, to me, they are faster and more refined than a mouse. Depending on who you ask, they will either love them or hate them. Good luck on whichever way you go.

pretty much agree here...I started out with a Wacom Graphire 4x6... ... tried a Bambo but tried a VisTablet and fell for it plus it was much less expensive than a Wacom Bamboo or Intuos
    ...have had it about 2 yrs now maybe 3 and love it...could not work with a mouse, hate mouse...so first thing that went was mouse... ... replaced with LogiTech track Ball...love it... ... Love the Tablet also... ... will not process images without both any longer.

Good Luck.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2012

The bold part is key, I have a Graphire 4 that's ~6 years old and still going strong. I've used it a lot in the last few days and while a more precise tablet would be great I haven't needed it. But having a few more buttons would make it so I would be able to grab the tablet, sit back, and do my work instead of leaning forward every so often.
  • Options
    edited December 25, 2012
    Thanks for the awesome feedback everyone! Will probably get my Intuos5 Medium at the end of January! Much appreciated!
  • Options
    novicesnappernovicesnapper Registered Users Posts: 445 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2012
    Great choice, you'll love it.
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2012
    I have a Wacom Bamboo and use it with Photoshop. The small size has never bothered me because
    I always work with the image zoomed up and do a section at a time and then move the zoomed area.
    One "trick" I've learned is that I am more precise working horizontally, so when I get to a vertical area
    to work on I rotate the image 90 degrees and work on that area horizontally.

I'm on my third Wacom, by the way. The first one I used for a few weeks and found it too difficult
    to master so I gave it away. A year later I bought a second and went the same route. I've had the
    third one for over a year now, and wouldn't part with it. It wasn't a matter of the tablet being the
    problem, it was a matter of me acclimating to it. It just "clicked" the third time out.

I use the tablet with PS on photos, not drawing freehand. People who draw with a pen and tablet
    might want a larger one than the Bamboo.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    TonyCooper wrote: »
    I have a Wacom Bamboo and use it with Photoshop. The small size has never bothered me because
    I always work with the image zoomed up and do a section at a time and then move the zoomed area.
    One "trick" I've learned is that I am more precise working horizontally, so when I get to a vertical area
    to work on I rotate the image 90 degrees and work on that area horizontally.

I'm on my third Wacom, by the way. The first one I used for a few weeks and found it too difficult
    to master so I gave it away. A year later I bought a second and went the same route. I've had the
    third one for over a year now, and wouldn't part with it. It wasn't a matter of the tablet being the
    problem, it was a matter of me acclimating to it. It just "clicked" the third time out.

I use the tablet with PS on photos, not drawing freehand. People who draw with a pen and tablet
    might want a larger one than the Bamboo.

Sounds like a case fo the old adage ... ... ... The 3rd times a charm. bowdown.gifthumbthumb.gifclap.gifclap
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    Logan, I have the Intuis 5 and couldn't live without it. Haven't used a mouse in 8 months!

Michael Bonocore
    www.mb-photography-sf.com
    www.facebook.com/mbonocore
    plus.mb-photography-sf.com
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2012
    That's awesome to hear Michael! Was wondering if it could replace my mouse with the pinch to zoom and all.

Also, Michael, did Lens Rental ever get back to you on that gift card?
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2012
    Oh hey Logan! I didn't realize it was you. I had kind of thought it might be you, but wasn't quite sure. I will check in again I get home I should have a definite answer as to how we redeem that tomorrow morning for you. Sorry for the delay

Michael Bonocore
    www.mb-photography-sf.com
    www.facebook.com/mbonocore
    plus.mb-photography-sf.com
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2012
    No biggie. Couldn't have come at a better time though. Ski trip jan 7-13.
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2012
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2012
    Sipapu and Santa Fe, New Mexico.