Options

Price question...

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited December 28, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I recently had a real estate agent contact me about purchase of one of my images. The image has been posted publicly and has been well received in a number of venues. I'm actually impressed she contacted me.

Without making contact yet, I assume I'd like to know her intended use, and that drives pricing? Or if she's going to use it for print and the number of pcs?

From there I'm lost on how to price it as this is just hobby for me.

I was thinking $75 and she gets a non-exclusive right to the image to use as she sees fit.

Here's the image:
DSC_0030-2%20copy-L.jpg

Thoughts appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    I would consider only giving her rights for a limited period of time .
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2012
    Good point. I can do that.

But does the price seem in-line for something like this? It's $75 bucks I wouldn't have had, but I don't want to sell it short or sell others in the industry short either. Does that make sense?

• Options
    lensmolelensmole Registered Users Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    I really can't help with the pricing, but I personally would only give her the right to use it for just the one project.
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited December 26, 2012
    Scott-
    I have found pricing digitals to be very tough. In the end, the 'right' amount is whatever you will feel comfortable with depending on where you will allow its use.
    I currently charge 99 for banner type use and 199 for full page use
    Would be much higher if used for other purposes such as merchandising, etc
    Not sure if those numbers help or not. You definitely don't want to end up pricing yourself out of a sale you would have been happy making at $75 though...
    Good luck
    E
  • Options
    edited December 26, 2012
    Well, this will be an experience for sure..... My first 'interested party' on something I've shot!

This is what she replied with:

Thank you so much for your response!
    As you can see below, I am a Realtor and I would love to use it to promote Austin to present AND prospective clients. I may also use it next year for a calendar. It will be used for Print. I am not planning to use it any other way….not sure just what the count will be.
    I will ask for permission if an opportunity other than print comes up.
    I would like to use it until it becomes outdated with a changing skyline, at which time you can update it for me!
    That picture is a beautiful representation of Austin…you do great work!
    Let me know….

And my reply:

Sheryl,
    Thank you for the reply and kind comments on my work.

For commercial use such as this, the annual non-exclusive license fee is $100. This will allow you use of the image for your calendars and promotional activities if printed between now and 12/31/2013. Continued annual licensing is $75 per year after 12/31/2013 should other products utilize the image. Any additional use would require further discussion.

I try to keep it simple like this.

The available image is high-resolution, and is 3564x1188 pixels size.

I look forward to hearing from you, and if you have questions, please simply ask.

Yeah, it's kind of cool that someone is interested in an image I created. I just don't want to 'cheapen' what you professionals do for a living, thus the pricing question. We'll see where it goes from here I suppose.

• Options
    edited December 27, 2012
    WooHoo! She said the fee was acceptable. My first sale.

So, does anyone have a brief license agreement for use of an image they can send or point me to? Sure would appreciate that.

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 27, 2012
    Congrats on the sale! Here is the license that is included when a client purchases a digital download from your SmugMug site

http://www.smugmug.com/prints/commercial-download

Michael Bonocore
    www.mb-photography-sf.com
    www.facebook.com/mbonocore
    plus.mb-photography-sf.com
  • Options
    edited December 27, 2012
    Thanks for the link.... I've changed a few words here and there to fit the circumstances, but this is definitely going in my "file" for hopefully future use.

Again, thanks!

• Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2012
    Your welcome. Congrats again on the sale!

Michael

Michael Bonocore
    www.mb-photography-sf.com
    www.facebook.com/mbonocore
    plus.mb-photography-sf.com