Options

Should I sell out?

DemianDemian Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
edited December 31, 2012 in Mind Your Own Business
I do photography for my own interest, not professionally or anything. Lately though, I've been volunteering for a local nonprofit. Mostly taking photos, although I also did a commercial for them (it's the only video I've ever produced :X)

I've also been getting some requests for work. I don't think I'm particularly good, and my gear is a little lacking... but I can definitely use the money, and it's time I'd just be playing video games anyways.

What would you do?

Comments

• Options
    mercphotomercphoto Registered Users Posts: 4,550 Major grins
    edited December 12, 2012
    When I started shooting racing photography (amateur level racing) back in 2004 one thing I had no idea about was how to run a business. How to know what my costs were, what my future expenses would be, the implication to personal taxes, whether I needed to carry any additional insurance, etc. If you don't know the answers to any of those questions either I strongly suggest, from perosnal experience, learning up about them before taking the plunge. The end result for me was a lot of work over almost 8 years at what amounts to a financial wash after all things were considered.

EIther continue to do the non-profit stuff as a volunteer. Or take the plunge and learn how to run a real business and do it that way. But don't wade. :)
    Bill Jurasz - Mercury Photography - Cedar Park, TX
    A former sports shooter
    Follow me at: https://www.flickr.com/photos/bjurasz/
    My Etsy store: https://www.etsy.com/shop/mercphoto?ref=hdr_shop_menu
  • Options
    NikonsandVstromsNikonsandVstroms Registered Users Posts: 990 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2012
    I'd do some research so you can have some contracts etc. to protect yourself but then do say 3-5 jobs cutting them a good deal as this is just an experiment to see how you like it.....and a bigger issue for many, dealing with clients.

The gear I wouldn't worry about much especially if you give them a good price. If they are coming up to you and asking just let them know the situation and since they already are asking you it sounds like they'd be cool with it.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2012
    Gear is only part of the picture, as you already know. If your work is good enough for them to pay you, the gear won't matter to them.

It will be important to have some legal structures in place,so do your homework there.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!