Options

What camera bag do you suggest?

jandrewnelsonjandrewnelson Registered Users Posts: 300 Major grins
edited January 1, 2013 in Accessories
Have used Lowepro Fastback successfully for three years. The zipper on the laptop compartment is busting and I need a new bag. What kind do you suggest.

I carry one DSLR body, three lenses and typical cables, batteries, charges and such.

As I spend almost every waking day traveling, I'd like to find a good blend of backpack and camera gear bag. Doesn't have to be a BIG backpack, just a gear bag with enough space for a change of clothes.

Would like to keep it as much below $200 as possible.

Your suggestions?

Jerry
www.meesoon.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2012
    A LowePro slingbag....you do not mention which lenses and if it is just one body or two??
    Sling bag is a great way to keep gear accessible and secure since you never have to remove it...
    I have a ProTrekker that I bought back in 2002 and it is still going strong...but if your zipper is all
    that is wrong, why not have it replaced by a local alterations person???
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Thanks for the tip...but...

Slingbag isn't big enough for my travels and doesn't have a separate laptop compartment. I've talked to two people locally that do alterations and neither can fix this because of the peculiar way the zipper lays in the folds. Well, with enough money anything can be fixed. But it'll be cheaper to just buy a new one.

Thanks though!
  • Options
    TopCatTopCat Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    +1 for the LowePro Sling Bag. They come in a variety of sizes, and as Art says they preserve security of your gear because you don't need to take it off..
    Tom
    Nikon D300 with 16-85 f3.5-5.6 VR, 35 f/1.8, 70-300 VR; Nikon D800 with 24-70 f/2.8, 105 f/2.8 VR Micro, 70-200 f/2.8 VRII, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Dell XPS 17 (8 GB RAM), LR5.3, Photoshop CC
    My Portfolio
    My PhotoBlog
  • Options
    Again, sling bag is too small. Plus the ones I see on their website do NOT have a laptop compartment. But thanks
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    Since you already know and like the bags, just get another Lowepro Fastpack 350* and add a compression stuff-sack to the bottom for your clothes. This has the advantage of being removable when you don't need the clothes with you at the time that you need the rest of your camera kit.

An REI Lightweight Compression Stuff Sack might be just the ticket:

http://www.rei.com/product/794957/rei-lightweight-compression-stuff-sack

This might require some minor additional connections to make it all work, but the Fastpack 350 seems to have 2 straps at the bottom front plus the bottom connection points for the backpack straps; should be easy to adapt.

*The Lowepro Video Fastpack 350 AW might be an even better idea.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    Since you already know and like the bags, just get another Lowepro Fastpack 350* and add a compression stuff-sack to the bottom for your clothes. This has the advantage of being removable when you don't need the clothes with you at the time that you need the rest of your camera kit.

An REI Lightweight Compression Stuff Sack might be just the ticket:

http://www.rei.com/product/794957/rei-lightweight-compression-stuff-sack

This might require some minor additional connections to make it all work, but the Fastpack 350 seems to have 2 straps at the bottom front plus the bottom connection points for the backpack straps; should be easy to adapt.

*The Lowepro Video Fastpack 350 AW might be an even better idea.

I think you might be on to something. Thanks!
  • Options
    perronefordperroneford Registered Users Posts: 550 Major grins
    edited September 29, 2012
    There is a reason about 90% of the pros I know use Thinktank bags. I have three myself. Even if you don't buy one from then, look at their line. The No Questions Asked, full replacement warranty is just the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

-P

Have used Lowepro Fastback successfully for three years. The zipper on the laptop compartment is busting and I need a new bag. What kind do you suggest.

I carry one DSLR body, three lenses and typical cables, batteries, charges and such.

As I spend almost every waking day traveling, I'd like to find a good blend of backpack and camera gear bag. Doesn't have to be a BIG backpack, just a gear bag with enough space for a change of clothes.

Your suggestions?

Jerry
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2012
    There is a reason about 90% of the pros I know use Thinktank bags. I have three myself. Even if you don't buy one from then, look at their line. The No Questions Asked, full replacement warranty is just the tip of the iceberg.

http://www.thinktankphoto.com/

-P

Thanks for the advice! I'll check out Thinktank closely.
  • Options
    worldriderworldrider Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited January 1, 2013
    Lowepro has a lifetime guarantee, I believe. Call them up and tell them the zipper is failing. They'll fix or replace the bag.

I realize this is much later. What did you end up doing anyway? If you still have the bag, do call Lowepro, they've fixed two of mine in past.

Your suggestions?

Jerry
    www.meesoon.smugmug.com