Options

Flash bracket concept

BountyphotographerBountyphotographer Registered Users Posts: 413 Major grins
edited January 16, 2013 in Accessories
Hello,

I know that there are a few threads about flash bracket but they didnt answer my question.

Im looking for a simple flash bracket that just flips quickly ( found some on ebay for $15-$45 with ttl cord )but am not sure if I should get the kind that actually flips the camera itself or the arm above the camera.
Isnt better to have the camera flipped since the flash wont be side way or it doesnt matter at all the way the flash is positioned above the camera?
Also if I have a pocket wizard above the camera can I flip the camera without hitting the bracket.

Thanks for your feedback

Bountyphotographer
:photo

Comments

• Options
    tebogantebogan Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited December 31, 2012
    I use this bracket and I love it. The bracket does have some quirks in that it does not have a dedicated camera plate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/632477-REG/Dot_Line_RS_0420_D90_RPS_Digital_Flash_Bracket.html
    Photography is the art of making an image of what you see so others can see what you saw.
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2012
    I prefer the camera Flipping bracket as the flash will definitely
    cover your field of view, unlesss using an ultra wide angle lens.

However the really inexpensive models are not going to work as
    smoothly as the more expensive models.

I have been using Stroboframe brackets for over 30yrs, but have
    been considering moving to the smaller and collapsable Newton
    Brackets ... ... the flash rotates but it stays in the horizontal position
    rather than going vertical... ... ... I have seen some china knockoffs
    sold by RPS Studio and others. Newton Brackets will also seel You
    a shortened version of your TTL Cord, so you do not have a bunch of
    gord getting in your way.

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2012
    tebogan wrote: »
    I use this bracket and I love it. The bracket does have some quirks in that it does not have a dedicated camera plate.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/632477-REG/Dot_Line_RS_0420_D90_RPS_Digital_Flash_Bracket.html

That is a copy of this one, which I own: http://www.alzodigital.com/online_store/flip_flash_bracket_digital_camera.htm

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited December 31, 2012
    Might want to check out the Demb bracket, either at his site or B&h
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2013
    thank you guys but for what I do Ill start with a $20 strobframe quick flip and will work my way up later

B
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2013
    thank you guys but for what I do Ill start with a $20 strobframe quick flip and will work my way up later

B

you know the old adage... ... buy good buy once........buy cheap and spend a lot more working your way up... paraphrased of course.

good Luck Hope it works well for you. thumb.gif
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    edited January 3, 2013
    In most cases I would say that you are 100% right but in this case Im not sure that I will use it that much so dont want to spend too much money. Ive known so many people buying top of the line flash, bracket or camera for that matter, yet they barely use it .
    I will probably buy something really decent used on ebay or craiglist.

Thanks for the info

Bounty
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2013
    In most cases I would say that you are 100% right but in this case Im not sure that I will use it that much so dont want to spend too much money. Ive known so many people buying top of the line flash, bracket or camera for that matter, yet they barely use it .
    I will probably buy something really decent used on ebay or craiglist.

Thanks for the info

Bounty

No harm in the ebay or even craigs list buying...it can definitely save you money

• Options
    tebogantebogan Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited January 4, 2013
    " but in this case Im not sure that I will use it that much so dont want to spend too much money. Ive known so many people buying top of the line flash, bracket or camera for that matter, yet they barely use it ."

I carry mine with me when I know I will be using flash. I carry other light modifiers, but there are times I want the direct flash, in a portrait position, need the flash above the subject or in close quarters. mwink.gif
    Photography is the art of making an image of what you see so others can see what you saw.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2013
    I virtually always bounce my flash so, I like a camera flip bracket better than a flash flip bracket.

When using a flash flip bracket and switching from horizontal to vertical, I need to reposition the flash...
    Bracket%20FLASH%20FLIP-L.jpg

When switching from horizontal to vertical with a camera flip bracket, the flash maintains the correct bounce position...
    Bracket%20Camera%20Flip-L.jpg

I now use a camera flip bracket which has a solid, non-moving bar on which to mount the flash. I use the bar as a handle when I am moving from place to place. The solid bar makes a great handle...
    Bracket%20stroboframe%20camera%20flip-L.jpg

I have found numerous stroboframe camera flip brackets on eBay for twenty dollars and less...
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2013
    I borrowed te BEM flash bracket from a coworker and didn't like it much. Vry fragile for my canon 580 flash...............vey light but seem to light not beefy enough.
    might just be me though????
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2013
    rpcrowe wrote: »
    I virtually always bounce my flash so, I like a camera flip bracket better than a flash flip bracket.

When using a flash flip bracket and switching from horizontal to vertical, I need to reposition the flash...
    Bracket%20FLASH%20FLIP-L.jpg

When switching from horizontal to vertical with a camera flip bracket, the flash maintains the correct bounce position...
    Bracket%20Camera%20Flip-L.jpg

I now use a camera flip bracket which has a solid, non-moving bar on which to mount the flash. I use the bar as a handle when I am moving from place to place. The solid bar makes a great handle...
    Bracket%20stroboframe%20camera%20flip-L.jpg

I have found numerous stroboframe camera flip brackets on eBay for twenty dollars and less...

How is there a "correct bounce position" if the flash is being bounced in the first place? I've never understood the necessity of flash brackets, unless you need to point your flash straight forward like a paparazzi. I've been shooting hundreds of weddings over the past few years and have simply never been in a situation where this type of device appealed to me. If I'm bouncing, it really doesn't matter where my flash is, because the light is going up/backwards/sideways no matter what. If I need to shoot in vertical orientation, I simply rotate my camera in the direction that puts my flash on the side of the camera that makes sense for whatever ceiling / wall etc. I need to bounce off.

Can anybody describe a specific situation in which this type of bracket is the only option?

If you really want versatility, take your flash apart and remove the pin that stops it from spinning 360 degrees, then you can spin your flash head in any direction very easily. (As long as you remember not to spin it more than once in the same direction, which sounds risky but I never had a problem in the 2-3 years since I customized my SB800 to do this...)

Respectfully,
    =Mat=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2013
    Mattew what about outdoor?
    Beach ,Park are you using you flash side way?
    My main concern is outdoor portrait with the flash on the side and not above the camera parallel to the ground.
    you right about inside bouncing the light, though
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2013
    Mattew what about outdoor?
    Beach ,Park are you using you flash side way?
    My main concern is outdoor portrait with the flash on the side and not above the camera parallel to the ground.
    you right about inside bouncing the light, though

Hey Bounty,

In short, I simply never put myself in an on-camera flash situation where I need to point my flash straight forward, or at least in a portrait orientation. Even if I could always have my flash be directly above my lens, to be honest the photo would still stink because the flash would still be on-camera and direct.

I probably only ever use on-camera direct flash once every few thousand images, and those are not portraiture situations, they are peak-action situations where the slight "deer in the headlights" look is very much balanced out by photojournalistic action and maybe a slight motion blur thrown in for good measure.

When you think about it, the problem you are trying to combat by using a flash bracket is actually quite rare, and in my opinion also downright bad compositional & lighting practice anyways: Putting background elements directly behind your subject, in outdoor locations, (where there is no opportunity for bouncing flash) ...and shooting in bad lighting conditions to begin with, thus making flash necessary at all...

Personally, I guess I have simply found that in raising my standards for quality photographs overall, I end up avoiding these situations anyways. I always frame my outdoor portraits with a far-away background whenever possible, so there couldn't be any shadows behind them anyways. I always look for the best light possible, so that natural light does the trick. Or when flash is indeed absolutely necessary, I want it off-camera anyways.

In short, simply raising your standards for portraiture overall will make your photos 1000x better looking than any sort of on-camera direct flash work-around...

I do understand that some types of photography do indeed require a flash bracket because of their inherent nature. If I were a red carpet or press photographer I'd absolutely use a flash bracket. But I just want the general enthusiasts and aspring portraiture / wedding pros out there to think twice about the conditions they're shooting in, and whether or not a bracket is the best solution.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited January 13, 2013
    you got a point Mattew indeed .

Thanks for replying

Bounty
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2013
    The Newton Di100FR2 is the clear choice for me. I've owned several different ones and done months of research. For those who routinely bounce their flash, this is the bracket. Super intelligent design, compact, easy to store. . . . Yields wonderful results.

http://www.newtoncamerabrackets.com/
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited January 14, 2013
    Tommyboy wrote: »
    The Newton Di100FR2 is the clear choice for me. I've owned several different ones and done months of research. For those who routinely bounce their flash, this is the bracket. Super intelligent design, compact, easy to store. . . . Yields wonderful results.

http://www.newtoncamerabrackets.com/

Once again, I'm still curious. If you're bouncing, why does the flash need to be directly over the lens? Doesn't the fact that you're bouncing mean that the flash is going backwards / up, and not forwards? Does anybody care to post some in-action images that explain what situations this is useful in?

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited January 15, 2013
    Mattew you are killing me :}}}} in a good way I guess . I have been thinking about what you said over and over it drives me crazy.
    First of all in my case Im bouncing with the Ziggy modified scooper (my wife told me that it looks cheap....) but my problem is when I shoot in portrait mode rotating the camera side way. Since the flash is side way ,sometimes it looks like the lighting isn t even??? How is your lighting Mattew when you bounce of the side wall? I can t be even as if you had a flash above the camera??
    This is why I wanted a rotating bracket in the first place to have my flash flat on top of the lens.
    However if I get a bracket (I actually found a RPS studio for $40 on craiglist which seem like a killer deal) and add the modified scooper it will look
    WEIRD. The MS will be 20 inches above the camera, ouch.

The real question in my case is since Im using the MS does it make sense for me to get a bracket.

Thanks Mattew for your input and yes anybody with pictures I would LOVE to see example with bouncer,wall, bracket.
    I know that Im not the only one having issues with flash

Thnaks you all

Bounty
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited January 15, 2013
    I use both the DIY "scoop" modifier and a Demb Flip-It (original) as my standard flash modifiers, but I use the scoop vastly more often because it gives much better light. I use both of these modifiers with and without a flash bracket and my preferred bracket (currently) is a Stroboframe Pro-T. The bracket is preferred when I have to be further back from the subjects, and the flash needs to be higher off the lens.

I am not too concerned about the slight offset from the flash when the flash is used with the camera in portrait orientation like this:

i-RCCWQbL-L.jpg

... but the above bracket does allow "sweeping" the flash to be emitting light above the lens, via the scoop modifier.

For outdoor use, the flash is often just fill light. As such the slight offset in portrait orientation and without a bracket is pretty much not noticed, but the scoop is still what I prefer as opposed to a bare and direct flash.

As for the "cheap" comment, I don't get that when I work because I present myself as a professional. I work quickly and efficiently with the scoop attached and I produce what many consider to be very nice results. In the end, it's the results that matter, and I find that the scoop modifier gives me the type of light that I'm looking for.

Indeed I seem to get better results than other local shooters who use a Fong "LightSphere", for instance; ... and they get those nasty "Tupperware" comments. rolleyes1.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2013
    Thanks it looks like not so many people are using a flash bracket 100% of the time and if using a scoop or any other type of bouncer it really should be just fine. Actually your scoop looks pretty good. On mine the staples are really noticable.

Thanks Mattew, Ziggy53 and all

Bounty
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2013
    Mattew you are killing me :}}}} in a good way I guess . I have been thinking about what you said over and over it drives me crazy.
    First of all in my case Im bouncing with the Ziggy modified scooper (my wife told me that it looks cheap....) but my problem is when I shoot in portrait mode rotating the camera side way. Since the flash is side way ,sometimes it looks like the lighting isn t even??? How is your lighting Mattew when you bounce of the side wall? I can t be even as if you had a flash above the camera??
    This is why I wanted a rotating bracket in the first place to have my flash flat on top of the lens.
    However if I get a bracket (I actually found a RPS studio for $40 on craiglist which seem like a killer deal) and add the modified scooper it will look
    WEIRD. The MS will be 20 inches above the camera, ouch.

The real question in my case is since Im using the MS does it make sense for me to get a bracket.

Thanks Mattew for your input and yes anybody with pictures I would LOVE to see example with bouncer,wall, bracket.
    I know that Im not the only one having issues with flash

Thnaks you all

Bounty

Actually, I SEEK OUT walls and directional bounces, it gives your light a more dynamic look to it when done right! My deal is however, I often use zero "scoop" type modification, because that seems to just turn my beautiful soft bounced light into the same old blasting head-on light source. The only time I use any sort of bounce card is if there are some VERY deep-set eyes in the crowd, and if I cannot get enough flash power out of my flash at a low enough backward angle to get into the deep eye sockets. And even then, I'm barely using the bounce card, just a tiny bit to give a sparkle in their eyes.

But 90% of the time, I go pure bounce, no card. This is always the best possible light overall. The other 10% of the time when i need a little bounce, I guess I simply dont' find myself in situations where a portrait orientation shot is even necessary. What the heck are you guys shooting that portrait orientation is required? Business headshots at a wedding reception? I'm always taking pictures of 2-4+ people, in which case shooting horizontally is a given.

=Matt=