Options

Small run of cards, calendars

GraydaGrayda Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
edited January 16, 2013 in Mind Your Own Business
Later on this year I plan to get out to some local markets and sell some calendars and Christmas cards, as well as print up greeting cards for the people I work with. I've been trying to size up prices for products, but they're rather expensive per-unit, unless you want to get into bulk printing (over 1000 or more sometimes, and that blows out the budget in my small business anyway)

For Christmas I got my mother and mother-in-law calendars with my and my wife's art on there, and the calendars were $20 USD each (through MyCanvas, with $15 shipping on top of that to Australia). That's fine as a gift, but I want to sell them for that price (or perhaps a little less).

Greeting cards are better, however. SmugMug will do them for $1.30 a (5x7) card if I get 25 (which I can probably do, but I have to have 25 of the same image, when I want to get a batch of 50 cards with 5-10 different images on there). Moo does multiple designs, but at $1.50 a pop.

I suppose when it comes down to it, the cards are good prices for what you get, and I could still come out ahead selling them at craft markets for $2 AUD, but calendars are a different story.

Does anyone know of places to get a good calendar for cheap, and a place that does multiple designs for greeting cards, for less?

Comments

• Options
    lfortierlfortier Registered Users Posts: 237 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2013
    Greeting Cards
    Have you considered using 4x6 pictures inserted into greeting cards?

Check www.photographersedge.com for greeting cards and calendars.

I've been using their products for years. The prices come down pretty quick when buying in quantity but you don't have to buy 000's to save money.

Check it out.
  • Options
    GraydaGrayda Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited January 16, 2013
    lfortier wrote: »
    Have you considered using 4x6 pictures inserted into greeting cards?

Check www.photographersedge.com for greeting cards and calendars.

I've been using their products for years. The prices come down pretty quick when buying in quantity but you don't have to buy 000's to save money.

Check it out.

I'd seen a few other artists at markets who did this, though they took a 5x7 bit of card, folded it in two and simply cut out their chosen image and glued it on (or used double sided tape). This way seems to give a more consistent look. I might order a few and see how they go.

I also see that they have calendars, but you can only put a 4x6 image in which is a little on the small side. The desktop calendars seem pretty sweet though. Thanks for the link!
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2013
    Check Bay Photo for both. You can use the SmugMug ROES order option, which is slicker than the regular Bay ROES IMO. They offer calendars at great pricing, and both cards and calendars are absolutely stunning quality.