Mini Challenge #157: Light painting

JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
edited February 2, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
Hello all,

I'm sorry I wasn't able to post this sooner, but the category I have chosen for MC #157 is Light Painting. Here is the definition I would like for us to use this time (I know there are others, just want to keep it somewhat simple for now)

Light painting is a photographic technique in which exposures are made by moving a hand-held light source or by moving the camera. The term light painting also encompasses images lit from outside (or inside) the frame with hand-held light sources. These are typically created using a relatively long exposure and in a dark environment (outside at night or in a dark room anytime)

So, you can use a hand-held light source from inside the frame to create an image (this treats your camera's sensor as your canvas, and the hand-held light source as your brush), or you can use a hand held light source from outside (or even inside if you want) the frame to paint light on the subject of your photo instead of using a flash.

This challenge will run until Friday February 1st at 10:00 PM eastern standard time (GMT-5)

I will try to get some samples up shortly:D

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

Comments

• JohnRogJohnRog Registered Users Posts: 173 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2013
    Here are a few of my examples:

1. Painting with lite brite

i-zvwJx3z-XL.jpg

2. Happy New Year

i-bQQhpM9-XL.jpg

3. The lightness of being

i-RR7cpdk-XL.jpg
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2013
    Glow Sticks
    CrossLightsedit-XL.jpg

Tulip
    Dafflaser2-XL.jpg

Barn with Spotlight
    Barnpainted2-XL.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2013
    Hi JohnRog,

I might have missed it, but I can't see an end date on your challenge definition.
    I've never done Light painting before and tempted to have a go (even if a bit rubbish!), but need to know how long I've got.

Alan.
    edited January 17, 2013
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    High JohnRog,

I might have missed it, but I can't see an end date on your challenge definition.
    I've never done Light painting before and tempted to have a go (even if a bit rubbish!), but need to know how long I've got.

Alan.

Thanks Alan, I have updated the OP with the end date for this challenge. Light painting can be a lot of fun as I learned from experimenting for a DSS a few years ago. thumb.gifup:

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2013
    I love light painiting... Need to do it more often.

1. Light Painting Literally
    untitled%20shoot-024-Edit-Edit-L.jpg

2. Night Rain
    SanClementePartDuex-019-Edit-2-Edit-L.jpg

3. This one was taking star shots and then a train came by and lit up the umbrella in the foreground... and I thought it looked cool.
    untitled%20shoot-001-L.jpg
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
    www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com
  • CambysesCambyses Registered Users Posts: 141 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2013
    Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

• billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2013
    1) Ghost Rider
    Light%20Painting%20%20038-L.jpg

2) Vibrations
    Light%20Painting%20%20018-L.jpg

3) Sweet...
    Light%20Painting%20%20017-L.jpg
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • LexLanePhotographyLexLanePhotography Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 18, 2013
    A New Year
    New Year 2012 007.jpg

Lights Across The Way

LexLanePhotography
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2013
    1) Lightning.

So I tell the wife that I'm going to go to the "Metal" bridge to take pics of lightning, she ask's if I'm crazy or stupid.
    What choice is that, I went for crazy.

IMG_6131%201-XL.jpg

2) Burning Metal
    All I did for this shot is trip the shutter. The 2 guys, the one standing still and the other spinning the steel wool, and tripping a flash with a gel to get the colors get all the credit.

DSC00359%20steel%20wool-XL.jpg

3) After Dark
    My Niece and I ran around in front of the camera waving our cell phones. A little processing later, and the muti colored shot appears.

IMG_0940%20lights%201-X2.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • JennJenn Registered Users Posts: 1,009 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2013
    1) Roses (light painted the rosebuds)
    i-xzK65zb-X2.jpg

2)Undercover Rebel (light painted the face)
    i-7wJZ6Rq-XL.jpg

3)Anemone(light painted the edges and center)
    i-RCBM6sQ-XL.jpg
    Jenn (from Oklahoma)
    Panasonic Lumix 10x DMC-TZ3 :photo
    Leica Mega O.I.S./28mm WIDE :smile6
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2013
    1. Sax and a mag light:

i-DrFHLnN-XL.jpg

2. Blending some light.

i-DQmDZsK-L.jpg

3. My family's somewhat annual attempt to burn my car up :

i-DVbCpXq-L.jpg
  • TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 20, 2013
    The TravelnLass (trepidatiously) enters the "Painting with Light" Fray...
    One word: WOA!

Quite the interesting challenge JohnRog, and one that I'm particularly qualified to... have but a tiny smidge of experience with.

Already some daunting competition here (and I must say - Pedagirl's entries especially - Woa! That "Light Painting Literally" is purely ingenious!)

Wish I had more time (i.e. I only just today tuned in here, so but 10 days til the MC closes) so I could properly set up a half-way creative pic (I mean, here in Vietnam, I don't even know where I might lay hands on a FLASHLIGHT, much less a "mag light" and/or colored filters, etc. Shoot, I'm still trying to find pasteurized MILK for goodness sake!) ;)

Still... I hope to try to cobble something new together by next week - even if it's only me waving a string of bitty Christmas lights at the moon.

And meanwhile... (no doubt some of you may remember my entry for the #152 MC "Illustrated Motion", my heretofore one and ONLY tiptoe into the realm of "painting with light" - waaaay back in the days of f.i.l.m.) It would seem to fit here, so I'll at least enter that one for starters:

1.) Dangling Colors

100712illustrated-motion-entry1-experiment-with-string-and-filters-L.jpg

Hopefully I can do better with something new over the next 10 days - the entire subject of "Light Painting" is deliciously intriguing, and I look forward to seeing more of the "paintings" folks here have come up with.
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
  • TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    Rudamentary "Painting w/ Light" Tools...
    So I'm desperately seeking a semblance of tools here in Vietnam to try this "painting with light" thing. I did manage to lay hands on a (decidedly weak) mag light, but colored gels? Uh... what do you think - might these (admittedly sadly pale) colored plastic bags work?

Grasping at straws here, but nonetheless (and despite the fact that I don't know what the H I'm doing), I shall try to give it a go tonight...

P1220051-opt-M.jpg
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
  • linyangchenlinyangchen Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    Thanks for organizing this mini challenge and for the awesome and creative work submitted so far! My light-painting is very limited and this is the only shot that I'm gonna offer to this collection - both camera and subject were involved in the painting.

i-V4mhCPH-L.jpg

Taken in Singapore during Earth Hour a few years back. Looking forward to seeing more great stuff from the rest.

Yangchen
    where Photons meet Black Holes
    www.linyangchen.com
  • Keller3778Keller3778 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Hello all. My first post here. I just started experimenting with different types of light painting and to see this as the newest challenge I was stoked.

Half the man I used to be:

169635_831432416057_400838791_o-L.jpg

roshambo:

740435_829799643147_1128945746_o-L.jpg

Ring around, the tree?:

736791_407086729366637_41851190_o-L.jpg

All of these are single exposure shots.
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited January 25, 2013
    IMG_1474.JPG

Tree on fire

IMG_7027.JPG

Fire rings

IMG_7003.JPG

sleigh
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
    edited February 2, 2013
    You folks have posted some great images! The mini challenge is now officially closed. I had some unexpected travel today, but I will post feedback and results tomorrow. Thanks for participating!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2