Options

My First Engagement Shoot

mattmccmattmcc Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
edited January 18, 2013 in Weddings
Hi all! Long time browser...rare poster.

I've been doing my own hobbyist thing for nearly a decade now and only recently have I taken steps necessary to "go legit", as it were. I'm an ICU nurse by trade, but I've drawn inspiration and encouragement from one of my fellow RNs who does photography full time (nursing on the side) and actually runs his own studio.

Anyways, my step-sister, whom I've only met once before (my dad eloped/remarried literally last month), asked me if I'd be interested in doing a few shots for them. The weather didn't quite work out as planned-- I was expecting great golden hour stuff over the waterway, but it was dull, overcast, and occasionally misty. Never the less, I'm fairly happy with what I was able to produce and I am also able to deconstruct numerous flaws in my work that will hopefully lead to better results next time. These few shots are my favorite of the bunch. Let me know what you think-- I really appreciate any advice to help me improve. All shots with 7D and either 70-200 f2.8 IS I or the nifty 50 and a 430exI on a radio trigger shot through umbrella (dual purpose at times!).

1)MCC_3536-L.jpg

2)MCC_3591-L.jpg

3)MCC_3615-L.jpg

4)MCC_3620-L.jpg

5)MCC_3625-L.jpg

6)MCC_3638-L.jpg

7)MCC_3658-L.jpg

8)MCC_3709-L.jpg

9)MCC_3749-L.jpg

10)MCC_3770-2-L.jpg

11)MCC_3839-L.jpg

12)MCC_3855-L.jpg

13)MCC_3554-L.jpg

So besides some composition and lighting challenges (windy day + wife light stand fighting umbrella+wind) the thing I am the most concerned about is a lack of sharpness as it got darker. This was partially my fault-- I didn't want to shoot at too high of an ISO so I sacrificed shutter speed more than I should have...but it also leads me to believe I'd be better off with a 5dmkII or similar for this sort of photography, as I could have more headroom with ISO. Also, had a hell of a time trying to focus the 50 f1.8 in the dark, even with the very nice AF assist built into my flash trigger (yongnuo 622...worth every cent). #1 is my personal favorite, and coincidentally it is the first shot I took.

Comments

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2013
    How high did you go with the ISO? WIth the 7d, a correctly-exposed shot at a higher ISO is actually no problem at all, and much better to manipulate than a lower ISO shot that is underexposed or suffering from motion blur - I've gone up to 2000 and had entirely useable images. Sure, they needed some work in post, but they were great; I regularly use it at 1250 (one of its best high ISO's - for whatever reason, that seems to be its "happy place").

I like a lot of these (6 and 10 particular favorites). On number 5, I couldn't figure out why you'd posted two totally blurred faces until I saw the ring - point being it was the LAST thing I saw in the image. Maybe open out the crop and/or add a vignette or something to guide the eye to the ring right away?

Although I think your bw and sepia processing has plugged up the shadows a little too much - I'd back off the black point and give them a little more breathing room, as it were.

I'm sure they will be THRILLED with this set, as you got some lovely images for them!
  • Options
    p27rpyp27rpy Registered Users Posts: 520 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2013
    I thought I recognized that first shot! These are very nice. My favorite is #12, you did a great job using the xmas lights! I wouldn't be too afraid of going to a higher ISO, i would much rather have a slightly grainy, sharp photo than a blurry one! i would also advise to keep your eyes on the girl's hair - they will definitely notice it more in the final product than a guy will! this comes from someone who had to learn this through many long photoshop sessions removing "whispies", haha.
  • Options
    mattmccmattmcc Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2013
    Thanks for the replies. I did not know about the ISO 1250 trick. I'll have to give that a try-- I'm still stuck in the mindset of only using "native" ISO (100, 200, 400, etc) full stops. I also agree about the blacks/shadows.

Thanks again!
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2013
    I think there's a theory that the round numbers aren't actually the native ISO's on some cameras, but I don't know the math on that. Frankly, I just figured this out by trial and error - 1250 gave me cleaner shots than 1600 so I tend to use it. 2000 is pushing it, but if you get a good exposure, you can manipulate it in post to where it's a useable shot.
  • Options
    naknak Registered Users Posts: 79 Big grins
    edited January 15, 2013
    First: If your clients like the shots, ignore every word I'm writing (and don't let them read this thread).

#1. The enemy of outline shots is any failure in the outlining. The dark zone from her chin to his neck detracts from a really nice bit of work. This is great use of dark against light and a tiny bit better on the light part would make it perfect.

#3 and #9. These two look film noir to me where #10 doesn't. It's a really good thing that she's got a good visible smile showing in #3, because otherwise it is spooky close to a shot of a shake-down in a dark alley. The ring in #9 does the same trick; it's the big hint that he's not begging for his life or that there's a gun in her left hand concealed in the shadow. Maybe I've seen too many movies.

#10 has smiling faces lighting up the darkness - it's fine. #3 has smiling faces, but they aren't lighting up the darkness nearly as well. #9 doesn't have faces lighting the darkness and the ring is backlit and small. The center of the light is too far away from the ring. The person viewing this image really has to work it, giving them a chance for alternative perceptions until they put it all together.

Perhaps #3 wants a really tight crop centered on her eye so that her smile dominates and the walls go away. It's a great smile. Two happy faces is all you need, a dark wall not so much. Once that happens it's a really nice shot.

My compliments in general on how you work light and shadow. There's clearly art there and you are thinking in those terms and working them carefully.

#12 is nice. Lit, smiling faces and the outlining works. If her face has half a head back, the in-focus detail in the tree wouldn't be next to her face and the out of focus lights in the background would be; this might give a nicer outline (the way it does for her hair).
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2013
    mattmcc wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies. I did not know about the ISO 1250 trick. I'll have to give that a try-- I'm still stuck in the mindset of only using "native" ISO (100, 200, 400, etc) full stops. I also agree about the blacks/shadows.

Thanks again!

The reason that ISO 1250 is so nice is that it is actually ISO 1600, with a 1/3 stop pull. So if you want, just shoot 1600 and shoot bright, well-exposed shots and you'll be in the same situation.

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2013
    Nice job! IMHO the images might benefit from less contrast and a bit more light, BUT then again this might be your style. How wonderful to still have time for photography with such a demanding job. Keep posting !!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700