Options

New toy for my B-Day

anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
edited January 21, 2013 in People
My wife surprised me with a light meter on my birthday a couple days ago. I've talked about getting one for years now but never have. She got me a Sekonic 358. Nifty little thing. I did some test shots with it tonight. My wife is turning 40 this year and she asked if I'd take a portrait of her everyday for the next year. Not sure what she is looking to see over the year... the woman doesn't age but I agreed. :scratch

This is the first shot in the series. I think I'm going to play around with different light setups during these daily portrait sessions. My plan is to go through all the traditional light setups and then maybe experiment with not-so-traditional ones. All are going to be head shots though to make it a bit easier.

Day 1 - LOOP LIGHTING: My understanding of this light setup is the key light is set to throw a nose shadow that follows the lower curve of the cheek opposite the light.

DSC_8736-Edit-X2.jpg

SETUP:

Main light was a large beauty dish, set on camera right at a 45 degree angle to her on both the horizontal and vertical plane. Fill was a gridded strip soft box directly in front of her. Behind on camera right was another strobe with a 40 degree honeycomb grid for hair light.

Main was metered at f/5.6. Fill at f/2.8 for a 3:1 ratio. I didn't meter the hair light (forgot).
"I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site

Comments

• Options
    PhilD41PhilD41 Registered Users Posts: 171 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2013
    Well done and beautiful as always! My wife would never agree to, much less ask for, a daily portrait! I am kind of glad yours did though. :) I am looking forward to seeing the different light setups and a consistent model to see the affect on. At least I hope you are going to share with the rest of us! I must say... it looks like a lot of work, and fun!
    -~= Philip =~-
    Go Shoot Something Already! - Flickr Photostream
    Have you performed a few Random Acts of Parenting today? :)
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,921 moderator
    edited January 21, 2013
    Happy Birthday Alex!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2013
    You know that I'm always trying to improve myself and others so here goes.......the loop is done very well and the color is great but.......look at the odd angle between her head and throat.....move her right side hair back or a slight tip of the head to her left shoulder would take care of that.

This is a great project and she is a terrific model and have a happy BDay. Your work is growing fast.
  • Options
    anonymouscubananonymouscuban Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,586 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2013
    PhilD41 wrote: »
    Well done and beautiful as always! My wife would never agree to, much less ask for, a daily portrait! I am kind of glad yours did though. :) I am looking forward to seeing the different light setups and a consistent model to see the affect on. At least I hope you are going to share with the rest of us! I must say... it looks like a lot of work, and fun!

Thanks Phil. I will definitely be sharing shots from this project. I just hope we stick with it. I've tried 365 and 52 week projects in the past and never saw them through. Really want to finish this one since it will help me grow as a photographer.
    ian408 wrote: »
    Happy Birthday Alex!

Thanks Ian. It was Four Two for me. I still feel great though. Age is but a number.
    Hackbone wrote: »
    You know that I'm always trying to improve myself and others so here goes.......the loop is done very well and the color is great but.......look at the odd angle between her head and throat.....move her right side hair back or a slight tip of the head to her left shoulder would take care of that.

This is a great project and she is a terrific model and have a happy BDay. Your work is growing fast.

Thanks Chuck. Always interested in improving so thank you for chiming in. Do you think its the angle of head/neck or do you think its more the shadows casted that is causing her neck to look odd?

I do see what you mean though, now that you mention it. Will have to pay more attention in the future.
    "I'm not yelling. I'm Cuban. That's how we talk."

Moderator of the People and Go Figure forums

My Smug Site