Options

I just ordered the D600.

QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
edited February 22, 2013 in Cameras
refurb from adorama. I am looking forward to the improved iso and all that but for some reason i am really looking forward to the timelapse/intervalometer features just as much.:clap
D700, D600
14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
85 and 50 1.4
45 PC and sb910 x2
http://www.danielkimphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    And twice the mp! I think 20-24 is the sweet spot. 36, no thanks.

Congrats.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited January 22, 2013
    at 24 MP it is also like owning a DX body with the cropping you can do. 36 is for serious landscapers only imo
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    LightsearcherLightsearcher Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited January 22, 2013
    Congratulations, the Nikon D600 is a great camera.

Regards.

Marcelo
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 23, 2013
    Yeah, the difference in ISO between the D600 and the D700 is not anything "OMG!" worthy, because I feel like even though there's an improvement, I still adhere to the same thresholds of usability. In other words, It's not a good, full-fledged whole usable stop of improvement, so it means very little to me.

The main reason the D600 is awesome is, of course, everything else about it. If it weren't for the 6D, I'd call it the absolute champion of adventure cameras. But for any Nikon shooter of course, it is indeed the adventure champion...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2013
    Yeah, the difference in ISO between the D600 and the D700 is not anything "OMG!" worthy, because I feel like even though there's an improvement, I still adhere to the same thresholds of usability. In other words, It's not a good, full-fledged whole usable stop of improvement, so it means very little to me.

The main reason the D600 is awesome is, of course, everything else about it. If it weren't for the 6D, I'd call it the absolute champion of adventure cameras. But for any Nikon shooter of course, it is indeed the adventure champion...

=Matt=

Okay in my experience, in most situations iso 3200 is very serviceable on my D700 (if properly exposed) with just a touch of NR in post. From all the reviews and sample images i have seen on D600, it appears iso 6400 is about the same as iso 3200 on the D700. Curious where do you see the "useability" limit?
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Daniel, I'm interested in hearing how you like the D600. I'm tempted, but I just did not care for the layout of the controls. It all felt more consumer grade to me than the D700.

Look into getting an MC36 if you want timelapse capability. I just shot my 8 year old daughter's birthday party with a frame taken every 2 seconds with a fisheye lens. 3.5 hours of 14 little girls having a pretend sleepover party. The resultant 3.5 minute video is hysterical.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »
    Okay in my experience, in most situations iso 3200 is very serviceable on my D700 (if properly exposed) with just a touch of NR in post. From all the reviews and sample images i have seen on D600, it appears iso 6400 is about the same as iso 3200 on the D700. Curious where do you see the "useability" limit?

Same with me. I shoot at 3200 all the time during weddings, in fact I'm looking at a wedding right now and out of 6,000 photos, 3,000 of them are at ISO 3200. Yeah. Whereas I shot at 6400 just five times at that same wedding, just like my 2nd shooter who had a 5D mk2. ...So, only in emergency situations.

What I was trying to explain in my other response was the fact that this habit would not change much, if I got a D600. I would use 6400 maybe a little more liberally, but not for 50% of the wedding like I do with 3200. I just don't see the entire whole stop of improvement. The noise levels are great, and I might consider them acceptable for a respectable 20-30% of my wedding shooting, but overall the skin tones, shadow noise, overall detail acuity, dynamic range, etc... Like I said, it's a great improvement, but not an entire, full-fledged stop.

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    Daniel, I'm interested in hearing how you like the D600. I'm tempted, but I just did not care for the layout of the controls. It all felt more consumer grade to me than the D700.

Look into getting an MC36 if you want timelapse capability. I just shot my 8 year old daughter's birthday party with a frame taken every 2 seconds with a fisheye lens. 3.5 hours of 14 little girls having a pretend sleepover party. The resultant 3.5 minute video is hysterical.

Yeah, that was the biggest bummer for me as someone who has been used to almost identical controls from the D700 back to the D300 and even the D200 for the most part. The D600 is missing one feature I cannot live without as a working professional, and that is 1-click 100% zooming during playback. I love how my D700 goes straight to 100%, even off-center if I'm using an off-center AF point. And I loved how the Canon 6D added this feature, in fact it got it's own dedicated quick zoom button that I can reach with my right hand! Loved that. But all in all, as a general photographer I felt like the D600 would be totally fine. I'd love to use it for landscapes, nature, basically anything that wasn't extremely demanding of my time while shooting. Such as a wedding.

=Matt=
  • Options
    jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    And I loved how the Canon 6D added this feature,

5D3 has this too. You can set the magnifying glass button to go straight to 100% during playback.
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2013
    5D3 has this too. You can set the magnifying glass button to go straight to 100% during playback.

Exactly. I have been enjoying such a function since ~2006 with my D200, while I couldn't stand not having it whenever I had to shoot with a 5D or 5D mk2. I was absolutely thrilled when they put such a feature into the 5D mk3, and it was one of the points that made Canon finally an acceptable solution for me as a wedding photographer. If I had to start all over right now I would definitely consider a 5D mk3 and a 6D combination just as equally as a D700 + D800 combo, or something similar...

=Matt=
  • Options
    edited January 24, 2013
    dear lord..I just set the playback function menu that allows 1 click zoom to focus point. I feel like i just discovered the internal light meter...
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited January 24, 2013
    Qarik wrote: »

Daniel I remember seeing some of your exposures at 6400 on the D700, So obviously you know how to get the correct exposure to exploit the Camera. My Rental of the D600 showed me that it was easily better SOOC at 6400 than the D700. The most noticeable thing was how Nikon managed the noise. IMO Nikon had tended to destroy the finer details in an image (D700) once you went above ISO 6400. Not so with this Camera. You'll get noise right on up to the ceiling, but the details are still there.
    tom wise
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    Yeah, that was the biggest bummer for me as someone who has been used to almost identical controls from the D700 back to the D300 and even the D200 for the most part.

I've owned D200 x 2, D300, D700 x2 and feel I can operate these bodies with my eyes closed. I like the button functions and layout. In the heat of an event, I can make necessary changes on the fly.

D800 in my future for this reason.

Maybe I'm just too old to change!
  • Options
    edited January 25, 2013
    Mitchell wrote: »
    I've owned D200 x 2, D300, D700 x2 and feel I can operate these bodies with my eyes closed. I like the button functions and layout. In the heat of an event, I can make necessary changes on the fly.

D800 in my future for this reason.

Maybe I'm just too old to change!

Even the D800 is slightly annoying to have to get used to, although it does have a couple new customizations and controls (such as the face-detect scrolling during playback zoom) ...that almost make up for the other changes that are drawbacks for me. (The dedicated REC button, the loss / re-design of the AF tri-switch, the re-assignment of the dynamic AF point switch...)

=Matt=
  • Options
    Dooginfif20Dooginfif20 Registered Users Posts: 845 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2013
    Can I have your D700?
  • Options
    ImageX PhotographyImageX Photography Registered Users Posts: 528 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2013
    While I consider my D300S(same as D700)to be the best handling camera I own.... I find the my D600 to be just as easy to learn and use. It's missing a few features but it's not much of an issue at all. D600 is a worthy purchase and an excellent camera that easily outperforms the D700 in image quality.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2013
    Can I have your D700?

Whose D700? Mitchell's? Not mine, cause I'm shootin' it into the ground!

=Matt=
  • Options
    babowcbabowc Registered Users Posts: 510 Major grins
    edited January 26, 2013
    I don't find the dedicated REC button to be so cumbersome.. its actually not bothersome to me at all.
    And compared to the D700, I prefer the D800's AF mode switch button over the lever/switch system, because I often knocked it into a different mode without knowing..

Let us know how the D600 compares to the D700, Daniel!
    -Mike Jin
    D800
    16/2.8, f1.4G primes, f2.8 trio, 105/200 macro, SB900.
    It never gets easier, you just get better.
  • Options
    edited January 26, 2013
    Whose D700? Mitchell's? Not mine, cause I'm shootin' it into the ground!

=Matt=

Can't have mine either!
  • Options
    fd1075nyfd1075ny Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited February 21, 2013
    I have been considering the D600 as well but have been kinda spooked off by the report of oil & dust spots that are consistently appearing on images. Has Nikon resolved the issue? What is the consensus of the Dgrin community on the Nikon D600 and its problems...Is it worth spending money on?
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2013
    mine doesn't appear to have any issues with it. That issue is spotty at best! (pun intended)
    D700, D600
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
  • Options
    edited February 21, 2013
    fd1075ny wrote: »
    I have been considering the D600 as well but have been kinda spooked off by the report of oil & dust spots that are consistently appearing on images. Has Nikon resolved the issue? What is the consensus of the Dgrin community on the Nikon D600 and its problems...Is it worth spending money on?

The bottom line is this: It went away if you get your sensor cleaned after the first 2,000-4,000 clicks.

I don't know if newer shipments of the camera have had the oil cleaned off the shutter a little bit more, but I would presume so.
  • Options
    endurodogendurodog Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited February 22, 2013
    Mine had the issue at around 1000 clicks. I cleaned the sensor myself, pretty simple and it was my first time doing it. I had one spot show up since that I was able to just blow off, think it was unrelated to the other issue. If you asked me would I but this camera again even with that 1 issue I would do it in a heart beat.