Options

600 VR repair cost

allanrubéallanrubé Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
edited January 31, 2013 in Accessories
The AF stopped working on my Nikon 600mm VR lens. I am assuming the AF motor or a circuit board which connects the motor to the contacts needs to be replaced. Nikon won't give any potential repair prices on the phone and I don't want to tie up the lens while I am on vacation. Has anyone had a similar repair who can tell me how much it cost?

Comments

• Options
    duff65duff65 Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 30, 2013
    600 repair
    Not sure if this will help. I went on Nikon's website for my 24-70 repair. After filling out the form with the problem (noisy and stiff zoom they replied with a price of 691.41
    Troy
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,849 moderator
    edited January 31, 2013
    A Nikkor AF-S 600mm f/4G ED VR retails at just under $10,000USD. Used, they sell for around $6,000-$7,500(ish). There's no way I would trust the repairs to anyone other than Nikon authorized repair; would you agree?

If so, send it to Nikon service and they will give you a good estimate before they repair the lens. Your only risk is the cost of shipping to them, plus the cost of insurance.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-And-Repair.page

If you are a member of NPS, they may even provide a loaner lens if the repairs can't be accomplished before your shoot. (Tell Nikon the date of the shoot.)

If nothing else works for you, you can always rent the lens for the trip if it's important to have.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    allanrubéallanrubé Registered Users Posts: 108 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    I would trust this to APS but will send it to Nikon. I am not NPS. I will just shoot in manual mode while on the trip - it started already - and send it in when I get home.