Options

Could use some advice - I can't figure out who's using my photo...

BrodyBrody Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited February 1, 2013 in SmugMug Support
I'm a bit puzzled here. The hits on one of my photos has climbed unusually fast (the 4th photo in my Favorites Album, Pere Lachaise - Link Below) – In the past when this happened, it’s usually been innocent misuse, but a few times it was commercial theft, and I sent an “Or Else” letter and they stopped. The problem this time is I can’t find out who’s hitting it. I’ve tried Google Analytics, SmugMug Stats and a few other tricks and nothing gives me the info I need. As you can see in the screen capture below, SmugMug Stats (for the one photo only) shows hits nearing 4,000/day after a two-week climb, but I check referrers on Smug, and it’s mostly my blogs and Google, and it totals about 50 to 100 hits daily for my whole album. That can’t possibly be triggering 4,000 hits. I’ve also used the new (or new to me at least) Google feature where you upload your image to Image Search and it searches graphically – Using this I found many other cases of misuse of some of my other photos, but nothing on this one and it’s got the highest traffic by far… :scratch

If anyone has advice on how to find the source of the hits, I’d really appreciate it.

Link to my album/photo - http://www.johnbrody.com/Travel/Favorites/2271721_MWq3LQ#!i=295698251&k=HpBmrgL

IMG_2139---TOUCH2---IMAGE---MODE---GRAYSCALE---DISCARD_OTHER_CHANNELS_YES---NIK_SFT_FOCUS-L.jpg
Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited January 31, 2013
    You can search for images using a tool like "TinEye" or another image search tool. However, the best thing to do is use the list of referrers in the tab on the far right. That will give you an idea of who based on volume. It'll take a moment to create the list. Use the sites on the left and the hit count on the right. Click on the hit count to generate a list of URLs.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    jhofkerjhofker Registered Users Posts: 136 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2013
    I tried using the referrers (below), but the total is a SmugMug server crushing rolleyes1.gif 98 hits that day for the photo (at least I think it's only for the one photo). I traced all the referrers back and I don't see anything that could generate 4,000 to 5,000 hits a day. If the numbers under Referrer Stats are photo hits (are they?) then the stats and the referrer numbers should be the same...

IMG_2139---TOUCH2---IMAGE---MODE---GRAYSCALE---DISCARD_OTHER_CHANNELS_YES---NIK_SFT_FOCUS-L.jpg
    Travel & Landscape Favorites at JohnBrody.com / Facebook / Blog / JohnBrodyPhotography.com
    ________________________________________________________________________________________________
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2013
    jhofker wrote: »

Yeeesh... I forgot the WSJ used the hideous color version in the article - I licensed it to them when they were talking a B&W layout (I like the B&W version of the image - the color raw was never intended to see daylight, just shot for the conversion). My mistake, because I didn't specify in our agreement. Again I learn what happens when one assumes...

But I digress - Back to the stats - All the links in TinEye for the WSJ seem to be back to the color version which the WSJ has on their server. None of those are linked to the B&W image on my SmugMug site, so I don't think that's ending up in the stat count or the referrer info..
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,919 moderator
    edited January 31, 2013
    I'm not sure what to say. The courtesy gives a link to your site. Maybe that's a part of the increased traffic?

Did you email the help desk?
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2013
    Someone likely has embedded the photo in a popular blog, forum or other site. Depending on how the site is set up that has the photo embedded, the stats > referrers tab may not show it. I'd recommend that you disable the 'external links' option and that should prevent the photo from getting shown on embedded pages.

If the stats are still that high afterwards, perhaps the other popular page is linking to the photo on your site?
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero