lighting with omnibounce

balleronabudgetballeronabudget Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited February 4, 2013 in Technique
Hi guys

I am a newbie who has a lot to learn and right now I am curious about portrait photography. My set up is basic, but I think for the level I am at, it should be plenty enough.

I have a 40D with 28-135 and 50 1.8 and am currently saving up for a 24-105L. Since I won't be doing any professional portrait photography I thought a versatile 24-105L would be nice. I also have a 430EX with omnibounce. Should I get into a dental school I shall reward myself with a 24-105L.

I guess my question is....how should I use my flash with omnibounce? Do I point directly at the subject or towards the closer/far wall or directly up to or 45deg up. Most of the time I would be taking picture of friends or things within a room of medium size (like friend's apartment). I saw the wing light and although funnily looking, it does seem like it works. Since I am a student and I probably won't convert my studio apartment into a photo studio, umbrella/softboxes are out of question.

Thanks guys. Please throw me any tips you could think of. Much appreciated

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,764 moderator
    edited February 4, 2013
    The Canon 430EX is a little under-powered to use with an omni type of flash modifier. You can try putting the flash up close to the corner of a room that has a white ceiling and white walls, if you have the ability to use the flash off camera.

I am very prone to recommend the use of 2 light modifiers that you can build for yourself for a few dollars each:

http://www.fototime.com/inv/908195739C4C0D3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNCmuExlHvM

The first is a "scoop" type of modifier and uses 1 or 2 sheets of "Foamies", which you can find at many US craft departments. Cost is around $3USD per modifier and it takes 15-30 minutes to construct. This is the modifier I use the most.

The second is a variation of a classic "bounce card", and you use it primarily as a type of fill light in addition to bouncing the light off a white ceiling or wall. Alternately, you can just use cut pieces of white typing paper, held in place with rubber bands. Different sizes allow for a different ratio between the bounce and fill light components.

The advantage of the "scoop" vs the "bounce card" is that the scoop doesn't require a white ceiling/wall to be fairly efficient. This means a pleasing light even shooting outdoors or shooting upward or downward.

The following are all using the scoop on an external flash, mounted on the camera:

i-dV2HTdt.jpg

i-42c4nRw.jpg

i-Ccdk6LR.jpg

i-3pJBr5d.jpg

i-4sSnKRW.jpg

i-Mt6prDw.jpg
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums