Options

Tripod question

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited February 5, 2013 in Accessories
Disclaimer: Yes, I know many believe that you should buy a high-end tripod from the get go and that iut will ultimately save you money. I understand that logic, but will preface my question below by saying that

1. My current tripod - a $19 special from Walmart - has lasted me 5 years and been entirely adequate until now
2. If I use it 3 times a year it's a lot
3. I typically have only used it for self portraits, an extra flash stand, or occasionally with all legs held together as a monopod.
4. I do actually have a monopod with a Manfrotto ball head (which could be transferred to other sticks if necessary)

Seriously, I really, really do NOT use a tripod very much so investing huge amounts of cash into it is not a wise move for me.

On to my question:

I need to set up my camera as a video for a masterclass I'm running, and want it on something sturdier than #1 above. I saw these at Costco, and am wondering if anybody has used them? They tick all the boxes I would expect to need, but wonder if anybody has any personal experience with them or can tell from the descriptions if they're good/bad/awful etc. Thanks in advance!!!

57" reversible
60" carbon fiber

I'm wondering more about the 57" not because it's cheaper (although that doesn't hurt) but because I could imagine the reversible column being handy if I ever DO need to use a 'pod for something; it would fill gap in the equipment arsenal.

All comments welcome (above and beyond "Read this article - buy the heavy duty tripod first!" :rofl)

Comments

• Options
    EphTwoEightEphTwoEight Registered Users Posts: 552 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    Its funny, they both weight the same.
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 3, 2013
    If you use tripods that infrequently, then I'm sure you'd be perfectly happy with a tripod like these.

I will warn you, however, that indeed the "Dolica" and Proline names are exactly that type of crap that most will warn against- If you use it heavily, it WILL fall apart quickly.

If I were you, I'd consider one of the brands of generic tripods that have been around for a little while, such as Giottos or Induro, because they have worked out the kinks a little bit more. I bought one of the first Giottos tripods ever, and it was junk, but a few years later I bought another and it is clearly an improvement in craftsmanship. (Or, maybe I am mistaken about this Dolica brand and they have been around for a little bit longer, in which case they might be less likely to fall apart so easily.)

Of course, you should still take good care of any tripod you buy in this price range. Get some allen wrenches and make sure that you understand how to tighten the various different parts of the legs, because I bet they'll all come loose at one point or another.

Anyways, that's about it. Good luck!

And, queue the "buy a $600 tripod or bust!" replies. :-)

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited February 3, 2013
    If you are not going to carry your tripod any distance, and only use it indoors where it is warm, get an aluminum tripod and save some money. Aluminum tripods are significantly cheaper than carbon fibre, and quite strong, and inexpensive. Manfroto makes some very nice ones that are pretty cheap. Since you have a head the Manfrotto 190 XB legs would probably do fine, and they will hold up.

I have carried my 190 carbon fibre Manfrotto for years in the back of pick up trucks and on safari vehicles, and it has never let me down. It is short, light, and durable. The aluminum version is cheaper, and not quite as light, and will be colder in the winter out of doors.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    paddler4paddler4 Registered Users Posts: 976 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    There are numerous carbon fiber tripods in the same price range as the Induro that Matt mentioned. My recollection from going through this a few years ago is that many are in the $200+ range, without a head. My suggestion is that you make a list of all the features they offer, like the reversing column you mentioned, and then decide which of them are important for you. You'll then be able to see which brands give you the largest number of features you want. I ended up with an Oben tripod (B&H store brand) with a lightweight Induro head for hiking and a big, heavy geared manfrotto head for macro work. Would a more expensive setup work better? Probably, but I don't find mine lacking in any important way for what I do.
  • Options
    BradfordBennBradfordBenn Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    Maybe I am spoiled by Borrow Lens, but perhaps just rent for the master class? Might end up being less money. I am just kind of funny that I don't like to put a US$1K camera on a US$20 tripod....
    -=Bradford

Pictures | Website | Blog | Twitter | Contact
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2013
    BB, I may in fact wind up borrowing one from the photo dept unless I can find something locally tomorrow - class is on Wednesday, hence why I was checking Costco!! And, in fact, I checked Costco because nto so long ago I remember seeing a Manfrotto there, for about the same price as the ones I linked above. I may go in person tomorrow and see what i can find; if nothing that looks decent, then I'll just try to beg something solid for the evening. thumb.gif
  • Options
    EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    57" - Reversibility is a desirable feature, but 4 (twist) locks per leg is very suspect and would be a real pain to manipulate.
    60" - For the *full* size carbon model to have a lower (13lb vs. 15lb) max. working load is also suspect - max working load specs on inexpensive ballheads tend to be optimistic and they will sag and self-destruct if used frequently at max.
    My advice is to locate a lightly used $400 leg/head set for 40-50% of new. I know, easier said than done, but this type of used equipment is usually easy to inspect for quality and often a bargain.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • Options
    edited February 4, 2013
    max working load specs on inexpensive ballheads tend to be optimistic and they will sag and self-destruct if used frequently at max.

Earache, that is EXACTLY the sort of info I need, and why I posted for comments. Thank you!! thumb.gif
  • Options
    puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    Mrs pp (special needs teacher) used to have to video pupils for their achievement records at times - I lent her a series 3 sytematic Gitzo (with ball head). Aluminium, bought used (off fleabay) for less than figs quoted on above 'pods.

Using a cam(corder) inverted on a reversed centre column is a right pita imo - I made brackets to allow 'right way up' use.

pp
  • Options
    LightMagicLightMagic Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    Dolica has a better version of the same tripod than the one sold at Costco. The head on this one is better: http://www.adorama.com/DOZX600B300.html

I have a more expensive and heavier Manfrotto tripod, but after having gotten the Dolica one I have hardly used it. Dolica is a a well built tripod. I heartily recommend it.