Mini Challenge #158: Selfies

PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
edited February 27, 2013 in The Dgrin Challenges
While contemplating what theme to present for this challenge a friend of mine shared this blog post on facebook and it totally spoke to me. As photographers, so many times we hide behind the camera because we don't like the way we look for whatever reason. Needless to say, I was inspired by Teresa's blog and want to try and get out in front of the camera more.

So, my challenge is now your challenge. I want to see your selfies! The good, the bad and the... um...ugly. So show us who you are! And NO it's not a beauty contest. :ear

This challenge will close at 8PM (PST) Sunday, February 17th.

OUR UN-OFFICIAL GENERAL RULES
1. Have fun sharing and seeing what others share!
2. The host supplies a topic and you post 1-3 images. The host judges the winners (1st, 2nd and 3rd) and is not eligible to enter. The 1st place winner becomes the next host, chooses the next topic and becomes the next judge.
3. Any photo you’ve taken is eligible, regardless of when taken or camera used.
4. Any amount of post-processing is allowed. However, it is helpful if you list your camera and lens along with your photo.
5. You may comment on other contestant's images. If you want someone to leave you some critique or criticism, just ask within your post.
6. The winner has up to three days (72 hours) to begin a new mini-challenge, or the honor goes to the #2 finisher and so forth.

Guidelines:
1. Enter 1-3 photos and put them in a single post.
2. Either embed your image in the thread or, if you must, supply a link to it. Keep in mind, however, most people don't want to click to open photos hosted elsewhere (i.e. on your website).
3. Also try and resize your photos prior to posting so they're sized appropriately for viewing without having to scroll (~800 pixels on the longest side works best.)
4. Give each image you enter a title.
5. Enjoy discussion with members about their images, don't let this just be an entry thread!
6. When quoting a post, change the IMG urls to a 200x200 size picture so it is clear your post is feedback and not another entry. (See here for help).
7. Don't be hesitant; share 'em and enter!

Mini-Challenge pointers:
1. Upon winning a mini-challenge round, your first step is coming up with a new theme and starting a new thread using the same format as others have used.
2. Make sure to notify the admin of this thread to update the main thread links with your entry thread.
3. Feel free to watch the thread as it grows or wait to the end time and look at all the entries all at once.
4. After the time/date has passed, then officially close the thread with a single post notifying everyone of the fact.
5. After you're finished judging, start a new thread (again using the prior formats) and post your Winner and runners-up. It is important to have runners up in case the winner does not show within the 72-hour window.
6. PM the winner with this info above and let them know they have 72 hours to set up the next mini-challenge.
7. If the winner does not show/start the next mini-challenge after 72 hours, notify the next runner-up and post a message on the Winner thread of the fact.
8. Remember, if you're the Winner, you run the next mini challenge!

untitled%20shoot-029-Edit-2-2-L.jpg

Thanksgiving2012-029-Edit-L.jpg

Ha Ha Ha... talk about the ugly!!

photo-2013-02-01-16-12-23-920-L.jpg
Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
www.lisaspeakmanphotography.com

Comments

• ShearerShearer Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 4, 2013
    Not Talking
    image.jpg
  • grandmaRgrandmaR Registered Users Posts: 1,942 Major grins
    edited February 4, 2013
    When I went looking for self portraits, I found some taken on the first roll of film I took in 1958 when I was 21 with my first 35 mm camera (film of course). I had previously submitted one I did in 1960 of myself looking in a hand mirror. It was inspired by this painting that I made (this is NOT part of the contest because it isn't a photo of myself) of an eye in a compact.

26055_1343937372192_6522094_n.jpg

So when I tried to reproduce this painting in a photo, this was the result (and this one IS for the contest)

0635-00310013.jpg

1. Vanity

What I found was that while I have several photos of myself taken by myself in the period from 1958 to about 1964, there are none for the time period after I had two children c 1963 to 2000 when I got my first digital camera. It is much easier to do this digitally.

I tried to reproduce this first one but I wanted to include the passage of time, so the mirror is cracked and dirty

IMG_7827.JPG

This one is a little unusual as I am reflected in the elevator doors on a cruise ship, sitting on my scooter dressed for formal night, with the art for the auction behind me.

IMG_3091.JPG

3. Formal Night

This was July 2012.
    “"..an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered." G.K. Chesterton”
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    SP- Froch
    1. Nikon
    20130102_Nikon-L.jpg
    2. Breakdown
    20120812_Breakdown-L.jpg
  • puzzledpaulpuzzledpaul Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    Paul - super job with #2 ...

pp
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    These are fantastic Paul! :)
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • FrochFroch Registered Users Posts: 571 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2013
    0635-00310013-200x200.jpg

Love this one!
    edited February 5, 2013
    Thank you - I was 22 when I took that, living in an old sugar cane field in Louisiana.
  • superduckzsuperduckz Registered Users Posts: 377 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    I'm not comfortable with self portraits but I think I need to to push myself... so here's a "semi self portrait" placeholder until I can follow up on an idea I have.

p1419677552-4.jpg
    Accidents and Inspiration
    One of these days I'll have to figure out what my "style" is..
  • PedalGirlPedalGirl Registered Users Posts: 794 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    superduckz wrote: »
    I'm not comfortable with self portraits but I think I need to to push myself... so here's a "semi self portrait" placeholder until I can follow up on an idea I have.

That's the whole idea!! And a perfectly fine SP as well! Sometimes we all need a push outside of our comfort zones. :)
    Pho-tog-ra-pher (n) 1. One who practices photography 2. one obsessed with capturing life with their camera. 3. One who eats, sleeps and breathes photographs. 4. One who sees the world in 4x6.
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    1) Rejecting It

IMG_1292-XL.jpg

2) Personal Illumination

IMG_3786-Edit-Edit-XL.jpg

3) Blue Screen of Death (BSOD)

IMG_0034-XL.jpg
    Not that these are any good, but please do not consider me a contender as I will be "unplugged" and back and beyond for the next three weeks.
    Just thought I'd add something before I jump on a plane.

Please do not include me in the competition

Good luck all, nice shots.

Alan.

PS - Sorry I look so serious in these shots, it's really not my nature!
    PPS - If I get time, I'll try to replace the third one with something more suitable.
    PPPS! - In case of interest, hand in the pocket in first two shots is operating wireless release.
  • Alans GrinAlans Grin Registered Users Posts: 346 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    grandmaR wrote: »
    0635-00310013.jpg

1. Vanity

grandmaR

For me this shot has great atmosphere and something about it I really like, but can't put my finger on.
    Nice shot,

Alan
    edited February 8, 2013
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    grandmaR

For me this shot has great atmosphere and something about it I really like, but can't put my finger on.
    Nice shot,

Alan

Thank you. I was thinking last night that I might try that again with my current face and camera. The only mirror I have like that is cracked, but that might be appropriate anyway.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    I'm going to try and do this challenge. I've needed an avatar for years....
    Aaron Nelson
  • DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    1) Minnie me:
    IMGP2387-M.jpg

2) Two in one:
    _IGP0282-M.jpg

3) Schizoid me:
    IMGP3998-M.jpg

I'm split on that last one.. I could substitute another.

thumb.gif:D
    Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • EaracheEarache Registered Users Posts: 3,533 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
    Alans Grin wrote: »
    1) Rejecting It

IMG_1292-200x200.jpg

This is a great SP - very creative and nice in B&W.
    Wish you were entering the challenge.
    Eric ~ Smugmug
  • billseyebillseye Registered Users Posts: 847 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2013
    Bananas, Absynthe, Tequila and Bill
    Self%20Portrait%20%20150-L.jpg

Dreaming Wide Awake
    Kubrick%20Background%20%20065-L.jpg

Passing the Blame
    self-portrait--044-%282%29-L.jpg
    Bill Banning

Check out billseye photos on SmugMug
  • davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2013
    Nanook of the North. (with a panasonic p&s in -10 temps)

P1000293%20challenge%201.jpg

Outlaw. ( composite )

IMG_0701%20freak%202-XL.jpg

A face in the crowd.

me%201.jpg

Me. (6 second exposure) Not included in the challenge, just for show.

IMG_4029%20normal.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    1. Messing around waiting for some people to come for their lobby photos.

i-zFTnn6f-L.jpg

2. Trick or Treat

i-5DW4J2j-L.jpg
    edited February 11, 2013
    Some great entries so far! I've been working on some as well... One week to go for entries!
    20130210Selfies-592-Edit-L.jpg
  • TravelnLassTravelnLass Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited February 11, 2013
    Goodness, such creativity here (as usual). Thanks Pedalgirl for a most interesting challenge.

For my first entry, I must remind you that you uh, did say "and the... um... ugly", so...

1) Then... (note the flamingo "paint-by-numbers" - raise your hand if you remember that fad) ;)
    1960-0001-L.jpg

2) and Now...
    travelnlass-zoom-zoom-zoom-L.jpg

Wish I had time to fiddle something more creative, but I've been busy w/ Tet here (Lunar New Year) in Vietnam, and tomorrow I'm off to see what Laos is all about. I'm headed to the annual Elephant Festival in northern Laos, so hopefully I'll have a few worthy pachyderm pics - should the next challenge prove to be "large mammals with big ears and long noses". rolleyes1.gif
    "I am not the same, having seen the moon rise on the other side of the world."
    TravelnLass.com
  • srthomasonPhotosrthomasonPhoto Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited February 12, 2013
    i-Q6zR3TS-L.jpg

My first time really trying a selfy with an off camera flash and a backdrop.

Canon EOS REBEL T3i w/ 1.8 50mm
  • isdillyisdilly Registered Users Posts: 31 Big grins
    edited February 14, 2013
    Mirror pics!
    heres a mirror pic I took as part of the banner for my new website Capturingendlesstravel.com

Let me know what you think!
    Travel writer/photographer. Please leave comments and Share my work, it helps me improve!
    Smugmug-DylanWyerPhotography.smugmug.com
    Tumblr-dylanwyerphotography.tumblr.com
    Website-Capturingendlesstravel.com
    edited February 14, 2013
    If you are taking a photo of yourself in a mirror, I would like to see what you look like. I tend to take photos of people who are taking photos of me, and most of them look like that one of you - not very informative of what you look like other than just your hairline. So that is what I think.

I am in awe of the people who can do the delayed photos (I am guessing that in addition to a camera that you can set for a delay that you would also need at least a tripod) an the ones where the editing is so clever. But I am assuming that a photo of me that someone else took of me using my camera like this one

xP1150018.JPG

do not qualify for this challenge
  • rteest42rteest42 Registered Users Posts: 540 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2013
    Self portraits...
    Hmm...5 or 6 years ago, I did a boudoir book for DH for Valentines Day... I set up the camera, the timer, the tripod... and then PP them out of sight!! Laughing.gif...

Here are a few of those acceptable for public consumption (and my comfort level, rolleyes1.gif)
    edited February 15, 2013
    edited February 15, 2013
    and the last...Sorry, for some reason, I can't get them all into one post...and I am DEFINITELY not linking to that page....
  • sdways01sdways01 Registered Users Posts: 151 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2013
    I don't normally take pictures of myself, but here are my entries...

GapMtn6112-L.jpg
    Mixed Company

MonadnockSunrise3026-L.jpg
    Sunrise (I am there... in the bottom right)

Pittsburg8704-L.jpg
    Gray Jay Self Portrait (Reflection in the eye... zoomed/cropped version here)
    I know this one is pushing it a bit
    http://www.adamclarkmedia.com

"If you saw a man drowning and you could either save him or photograph the event...what kind of film would you use?" - Anonymous
  • linyangchenlinyangchen Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited February 18, 2013
    I know the deadline's over but here's one just for everyone's enjoyment. I had a great time seeing all the innovative ideas you all came up with - thanks!

Central Line, London Underground

i-CLc4QcC-L.jpg
    where Photons meet Black Holes
    www.linyangchen.com
    edited February 18, 2013
    Ha! Was so busy with my trip and photos to Joshua Tree, I missed my own deadline!! This mini challenge is now officially closed. Will have results posted sometime either later today or tomorrow. Good work everyone! Going to be hard to pick a favorite.
    edited February 20, 2013
    Results are in!
    The results thread can be found here: http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=232066