Options

Monitor for Windows8

chrisjohnsonchrisjohnson Registered Users Posts: 771 Major grins
edited March 25, 2013 in Digital Darkroom
Hoping for some advice on which monitor to buy for my new Windows 8 PC.

I use photoshop CS5 and sRGB. Looking to spend up to 500 Euro and get something hassle free for daily work. I am mostly a serious hobbyist and sometimes sell to press for low-res reproduction where colour accuracy is preferred and there is no chance for a second go and no time to calibrate. On big prints i do not mind having a second or third go with a lab to get things right so don't want to obsess about calibration. Ease of use is primary.

There are lots of LED/IPS monitors from the likes of LG and Samsung on sale here for around 150 Euro but this seems to cheap to be true. Other brands I can get are Iiyama and Eizo, Dell too.

My computer has two output possibilities - HDMI and DVI. From what I can see there should be no difference in quality but I wonder if this is true?

Advice please! If the advice is to go up on the budget then please let me know.

Comments

• Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2013
    Hoping for some advice on which monitor to buy for my new Windows 8 PC.

Do you want touch screen? If yes, then your options get very limited and very expensive.

Frankly, I shudder when I think about touchscreens for editing images.

I use photoshop CS5 and sRGB. Looking to spend up to 500 Euro and get something hassle free for daily work. I am mostly a serious hobbyist and sometimes sell to press for low-res reproduction where colour accuracy is preferred and there is no chance for a second go and no time to calibrate. On big prints i do not mind having a second or third go with a lab to get things right so don't want to obsess about calibration. Ease of use is primary.

You've given yourself a reasonable budget. You should get a calibrator though. You'd only have to use it about every 3 months or so as the new monitors with LED back lights do not change anywhere near as quickly as CRT's did or even the LCD's with CCFL back lights.
    There are lots of LED/IPS monitors from the likes of LG and Samsung on sale here for around 150 Euro but this seems to cheap to be true. Other brands I can get are Iiyama and Eizo, Dell too.

Can't go wrong with any of EIZO's mid to high end lines. You can get a decent sRGB monitor with an IPS for under $400 USD from many brands. There is a bit if a fundamental change occuring at this time in the monitor industry. More and more inexpensive IPS matrix LCD monitors and the new S-PLS from Samsung (but not so cheap). The biggest news is in the backlights. We are seeing a new W-LED technology offering up to 99.9% of sRGB coverage and in wide gamuts, a GB-LED offering near 100% of sRGB and AdobeRGB.

The new HP ZR2740w v2 review per TFT Central highlights these changes. Also we are seeing the new tech in the incoming Dells - U2713HM, U2713M, and pending U2413.

Check out these two review sites for reviews.

http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/

http://www.prad.de/en/monitore/reviews.html
    (Prad has the latest reviews on the German language side of their site)

My computer has two output possibilities - HDMI and DVI. From what I can see there should be no difference in quality but I wonder if this is true?

HDMI willl likely be limited to a max resolution of 1920x1200 - why? Digital Rights maybe?

DVI Single Link gets you to 1920x1200

DVI Dual Link gets you to 2560x1600 so the 27" 2560x1440 also will be supported.

• Options
    edited February 8, 2013
    Thanks for the information and the links - no I do not want a touch screen
  • Options
    basfltbasflt Registered Users Posts: 1,882 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2013
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2013
    Thanks again. Just booked an HPZR2440W from Bol.com. I was very tempted by the Eizo ColorEdge CS230 but it is close to twice the price.

I also realized my graphics card is of the cheap and cheerful variety - a Geforce GT620. Does this make a difference for photo work?

Looking forward to the mail man arriving!
  • Options
    edited February 11, 2013
    the card is not all that important , the driver is ....
    regularly check nvidia site for new drivers ( preferably after you installed the new monitor )
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2013
    To refresh this point. We bought the HPZR2440W which looked fantastic on the new PC.

The PC was intensely irritating thanks to Windows 8. Goodness me what a botch-up Windows 8 is, deluged with advertising and pushing every few minutes to a MS ecosystem that we do not appreciate. Non-explorer browsers give problems initially which I suppose is MS intention - I hope the EU fines them the maximum for this arrogant piece of software. Fortunately the PC blew-up after installing the monitor and our retailer gave us credit to buy something else because the OS could not be reinstalled by them or by me, although the HD was still working. Acer branded the PC and wanted 60 Euros upfront to try this fix which would not have worked - so no Acer any more for me although they used to be a good brand. Thank you Mediamarkt for good service on the PC. I bought the monitor from Bol.com who also exceeded expectations as usual.

The something-else is a Mac-mini. The monitor still looks great although the default settings are much too bright. Any advice on optimal settings would be much appreciated.

Getting photoshop transferred was expensive. Adobe charged us 500 Euro for an upgrade to the latest version whereas PS 5 would have done just fine. They push you to their cloud solution which is incredibly costly unless you use it every day and have a solid income from photography. Still we bit the bullet. After you learned Photoshop there really is nothing else yet to compare - not for all photos but for some.

Hope this helps. HP monitor delivers on our expectations for the time being although something tells me I will be looking at Eizo logo one day. One thing I learned is that HDMI and DVI are becoming yesterday standards. I tried both and don't see a difference on this monitor, but next time we will go to higher resolution and then we will need a better interface. And, by the way, since I got things set up I did not worry any more about the video card - perhaps this is more of a concern for gamers?

Lastly, the Mac-mini is a super piece of kit. Had I been able to do a complete reset I would perhaps have bought an IMac but that is a story I am unable to tell.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2013
    as for monitor brightness ; its normal
    go =>HERE<= to adjust it correctly

as for the card you are right , if it work and its not too old its fine
    regularly check for new drivers at manufacturers site
    ofcourse you must use a real card , not an on-board chip
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited March 25, 2013
    I've been using a Dell 2209WA 22" e-IPS panel monitor for some time and love it. Once calibrated, it matches pro prints perfectly. But I don't think they make this model anymore. They do have several IPS panel models at good prices.