Options

Sales Tax Filing

briankdonnellybriankdonnelly Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 10, 2013 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
"We are now registered with Maryland to collect sales tax from your Pro orders shipped to Maryland and will be remitting it to the Maryland State tax authorities directly, effective February first."

I'm not sure, but I think this complicates my life. In the past the sales tax collected came to me, and my accountant simply did my sales tax filing based on all of my sales. Since only a portion of my sales are made through SmugMug, my accountant still needs to do a sales tax filing, but he has to differentiate between what went directly from SmugMug and what didn't, so he pays the correct amount.

Maybe I'm looking at this the wrong way?

Comments

• Options
    DotaDota Registered Users Posts: 258 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    Sounds like they are saying if a MD customer orders, they collect the sales tax and pay it. I would like to know too since I'm based in MD.
  • Options
    LindyLindy Registered Users Posts: 202 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2013
    Hi Folks,

Dota is correct. As of February 1st, this year, we collect, report and pay the sales tax for the Maryland orders. It's no longer your responsibility for your SmugMug orders.

I hope the change does indeed make your life easier! If either of you have specific questions about this, feel free to shoot us an email: http://help.smugmug.com/

Lindy
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    briankdonnellybriankdonnelly Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 31, 2013
    Thanks Lindy, email sent.
  • Options
    SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited February 10, 2013
    Very interesting. So is this the beginning of registration in every state? Or was this simply a requirement for shipping to MD customers?
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!