Options

Desktop vs Mobile viewing

M38A1M38A1 Registered Users Posts: 1,317 Major grins
edited May 5, 2013 in SmugMug Support
I have a SM account that I just learned of a potential issue. Not sure if it's a configuration problem on my side or a possible opportunity for enhancement.

The site: scottstrancephotography DOT com when viewed from a desktop should have just a slideshow and a bio/text box below it. That seems to work fine for anyone I provide the link to and works fine when I view it from my desktop.

However, when they view the above URL from a mobile phone (iPhone specifically) they have an option showing to "View this as a mobile site". When they do, they get all the galleries which I have hidden from a desktop view. At the top of their display (and mine too on an iPhone) I get the option to "View as a Mobile site". If I click that, I go back to what I normally see with a desktop. ie: slideshow and bio/text box only. There seems to be a 'toggle' function between display options which I don't want.

Is this something I can prevent by a configuration on my end? I do NOT want the galleries displaying from either a desktop or mobile source if possible.

Thanks-

Comments

• Options
    rnrjoshrnrjosh Registered Users Posts: 266 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    You can disable the Mobile version of your site in your Account Settings, if you don't want to offer the mobile viewing option. To do this, go to Tools > Account Settings > Style, and set the Mobile Site option here to Off. Once you do that, you'll no longer see the option to view the mobile site when viewing from a mobile device.

Hope this helps!
    Josh
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2013
    Thanks!

You guys rock.....

• Options
    edited February 12, 2013
    Well, that introduced a new wrinkle.... Viewing the slideshow on an Apple.

Desktops:
    I'm on a PC and have no issue seeing just a slideshow and bio/text box as desired.

However my friend on an Apple desktop says all she sees is a blank slideshow box and a bio/text box. I've asked her to refresh the URL, but she says no slideshow. Does an Apple computer treat the "Mobile" flag checked "No" as a mobile device?

iPhones:
    We're both OK from the mobile side with an iPhone. The slideshow displays properly with only the bio/text box displaying and no option to see the site "mobile" and buried gallerys.
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2013
    So with the flag checked NO for mobile, the slideshow doesn't work for folks on an Apple desktop. A couple of them. And then one got flagged by their security team that the website was being blocked. And it's taken 30 seconds or more to log into that account.

Then..... I decided to switch on the Mobile application flag again. Sure enough, the directories I didn't want displayed display. So I deleted them since there was no content in there.

That left just "Other" and within that "Slideshows" with contents. When I'm logged into the account I see the site as I expected - front page slideshow with a text/bio box. When I log out, I get nothing - zero, nada. Not slide show, no text/bio box and an message "No Gallerys".

Is something going on with your side? or what am I doing wrong or what has changed?????

• Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    M38A1 wrote: »
    ... the slideshow doesn't work for folks on an Apple desktop. ...
    You are using the default Smugmug slideshow on your homepage and it's run by Flash. Apple does not
    use Flash. Your best bet is use the HTML5 slideshow, see sticky thread at top of the customization forum.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    mbonocorembonocore Registered Users Posts: 2,299 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    Hi Scott,

Apple recently blocked viewing Flash on their Desktop and Macbook products. Since the slideshow is Flash, it is not viewable on Mac computers with the newest OS update.

One option (and what I have on my website at www.mb-photography-sf.com) is the Fastline Media HTML 5 slideshow. This slideshow will also play on all mobile devices, including iPhones and iPads.

You can find more information, and how to implement the slideshow on the customization forum at http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=188720

Hope this helps!

Michael
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2013
    Thank you all for the information....
    I'll go investigate that next.

• Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    Ughh. I didn't know this. Since my homepage slideshow runs fine on the ipad, I thought it worked ok on Macs.

That slideshow thread is 168 pages long! Can Smugmug set up an option we could link to that uses HTML? This really is something SM should provide; functionality on the two main computer operating systems. Plus, since so many photographers use Macs, it will be very hard to get new customers to see any value in using Smugmug when their 'out of the box' sites won't work at all on their own computers.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    smurfy wrote: »
    Ughh. I didn't know this. Since my homepage slideshow runs fine on the ipad, I thought it worked ok on Macs.

That slideshow thread is 168 pages long! Can Smugmug set up an option we could link to that uses HTML? This really is something SM should provide; functionality on the two main computer operating systems. Plus, since so many photographers use Macs, it will be very hard to get new customers to see any value in using Smugmug when their 'out of the box' sites won't work at all on their own computers.
    All the info you need in is the first post of those sticky threads.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2013
    Smurfy,

As Al said, you really only need that initial post in the thread. If you have any questions about it, you can simply add a comment to the thread and people will help you out. There is no reason to read 168 pages.

Michael
  • Options
    dixondukedixonduke Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    mbonocore wrote: »
    Hi Scott,

Apple recently blocked viewing Flash on their Desktop and Macbook products. Since the slideshow is Flash, it is not viewable on Mac computers with the newest OS update.

One option (and what I have on my website at www.mb-photography-sf.com) is the Fastline Media HTML 5 slideshow. This slideshow will also play on all mobile devices, including iPhones and iPads.

You can find more information, and how to implement the slideshow on the customization forum at http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=188720

Hope this helps!

Michael

Just thought that I would add that I am on OSX 10.8.2 on my Mac's, and the slideshow function on my homescreen works fine, in FF and Safari. Also plays on my iPhone and iPad.
    Duke
  • Options
    edited February 12, 2013
    dixonduke wrote: »
    Just thought that I would add that I am on OSX 10.8.2 on my Mac's, and the slideshow function on my homescreen works fine, in FF and Safari. Also plays on my iPhone and iPad.

You can still run Java on 10.7 and 10.8, but only if you manually install it. If you have lost Java, check out this apple help page on how to reinstall it.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5648

Michael
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited February 16, 2013
    So I tried to install the HTML slideshow (unsuccessfully), and spend about five hours over the past two days on it. I appreciate the help given in the Customization forum by kind and generous programmers like JFriend. But for whatever reason, it isn't working, and I'm giving up.

My husband asked about what I was doing, and I told him about the issue with Safari/ Imacs not being able to 'see' the site slideshow on SM. His first words of response, "Why don't you just switch to that other host (Z...)? You told me they don't use flash. Writing code is part of what you are paying a host to do."

I think he's right. This is just too much time to invest when all I want is a simple site with a homepage landing portfolio slideshow running, and the ability to have client viewing/ ordering galleries.
    If this were a free wordpress site, that would be another matter. But it's not. It's paid for, and I really feel that as a customer, I am entitled to a site that is viewable on both Windows and Macs without having to do the work to achieve that myself.
  • Options
    edited February 16, 2013
    smurfy wrote: »
    So I tried to install the HTML slideshow (unsuccessfully), and spend about five hours over the past two days on it. I appreciate the help given in the Customization forum by kind and generous programmers like JFriend. But for whatever reason, it isn't working, and I'm giving up.

My husband asked about what I was doing, and I told him about the issue with Safari/ Imacs not being able to 'see' the site slideshow on SM. His first words of response, "Why don't you just switch to that other host (Z...)? You told me they don't use flash. Writing code is part of what you are paying a host to do."

I think he's right. This is just too much time to invest when all I want is a simple site with a homepage landing portfolio slideshow running, and the ability to have client viewing/ ordering galleries.
    If this were a free wordpress site, that would be another matter. But it's not. It's paid for, and I really feel that as a customer, I am entitled to a site that is viewable on both Windows and Macs without having to do the work to achieve that myself.

I do apologize for your frustration in trying to set up an HTML5 slideshow. It should be noted that Oracle did release an update, and you should be able to see your slideshow with the updated version. This was just a temporary issue based on Apple's move to block Flash until a fix was implemented.

You can get the updated Flash at

http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

I hope this works for you!

Michael
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited February 17, 2013
    Hi Scott,

Hope this helps!

Michael
    Apple recently blocked Java on their desktop, not flash. The Smugmug slideshow has nothing to do with Java.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2013
    jfriend wrote: »
    Apple recently blocked Java on their desktop, not flash. The Smugmug slideshow has nothing to do with Java.

Sorry John, I meant to write java, and I was referring to having the slideshow viewable on the mobile devices. I either needed sleep, or coffee. ne_nau.gif

Michael
  • Options
    edited February 17, 2013
    Sorry John, I meant to write java, and I was referring to having the slideshow viewable on the mobile devices. I either needed sleep, or coffee. ne_nau.gif

Michael
    Smugmug's built-in slideshow is viewable on Apple devices. It switches to HTML5, instead of flash on an iDevice.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    Rockman53Rockman53 Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited March 26, 2013
    SlideShow for iPhone iPad
    Are you saying you no longer need to re-code to have the SlideShow play on an iPhone or iPad?
    I just finished doing the "jfriend-html5-slideshow-tutorial". That was not necessary? I'm confused.
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    Rockman53 wrote: »
    Are you saying you no longer need to re-code to have the SlideShow play on an iPhone or iPad?
    I just finished doing the "jfriend-html5-slideshow-tutorial". That was not necessary? I'm confused.
    It depends. Smugmug's gallery and homepage slideshow will work on an iPhone (not sure about an Android device). The JFriend HTML5 slideshow will work everywhere.

Smugmug's custom homepage slideshow does not work on most phones.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    It depends. Smugmug's gallery and homepage slideshow will work on an iPhone (not sure about an Android device). The JFriend HTML5 slideshow will work everywhere.

Smugmug's custom homepage slideshow does not work on most phones.

See....Now I am really confused. Denise said that Allen answered the question I asked about getting the SlideShow to show on an externel web site on iPhone. Allen said no. The JFriend slideShow will only work with SmugMug web sites.
    Now this reply said " The JFriend HTML5 slideshow will work everywhere."

Does it work everywhere? Or only if it is through a SmugMug web site?
    I have an external web site hosted through Network Solutions, playing the Slideshow on my home page. Great. But it can not be seen on the iPhone or iPad. I know, I know, iPhone or iPad will not run Flash.
    But if I put in the SmugMug web address to my SmugMug gallery on my iPhone "bam!" the SlideShow is showing and playing on my iPhone.
    So, my question is......How do I get the same result you guys got, to play the SlideShow on a iPhone and iPad. If I can see it on my iPhone and iPad, then, it can be done, just HOW? Thanks. rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    See....Now I am really confused. Denise said that Allen answered the question I asked about getting the SlideShow to show on an externel web site on iPhone. Allen said no. The JFriend slideShow will only work with SmugMug web sites.
    Now this reply said " The JFriend HTML5 slideshow will work everywhere."

Does it work everywhere? Or only if it is through a SmugMug web site?
    I have an external web site hosted through Network Solutions, playing the Slideshow on my home page. Great. But it can not be seen on the iPhone or iPad. I know, I know, iPhone or iPad will not run Flash.
    But if I put in the SmugMug web address to my SmugMug gallery on my iPhone "bam!" the SlideShow is showing and playing on my iPhone.
    So, my question is......How do I get the same result you guys got, to play the SlideShow on a iPhone and iPad. If I can see it on my iPhone and iPad, then, it can be done, just HOW? Thanks. rolleyes1.gif
    The JFriend HTML5 slideshow can only be hosted on a Smugmug site because it depends upon some Smugmug code that is only present on a Smugmug site. Once installed into a Smugmug site, it can be viewed on any modern browser (phone, tablet or desktop).
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    The JFriend HTML5 slideshow can only be hosted on a Smugmug site because it depends upon some Smugmug code that is only present on a Smugmug site. Once installed into a Smugmug site, it can be viewed on any modern browser (phone, tablet or desktop).

John, I will assume from this that the code is not available to use unless you use it on a Smugmug web site. Would that be correct?
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    John, I will assume from this that the code is not available to use unless you use it on a Smugmug web site. Would that be correct?
    I've answered your question multiple times now. I don't know how much clearer we can be. The slideshow code DOES NOT WORK unless it is on a Smugmug-hosted site.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
  • Options
    edited March 26, 2013
    I've answered your question multiple times now. I don't know how much clearer we can be. The slideshow code DOES NOT WORK unless it is on a Smugmug-hosted site.

Thank you John....... That made it very clear! (That was easy.) That should have been written like that on the first response.

" The slideshow code DOES NOT WORK unless it is on a Smugmug-hosted site."
  • Options
    upthegroveupthegrove Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited May 5, 2013
    I have a randomized slideshow on my homepage (JFRIEND) and it works fine on my computer but when I view from iphone/ipad, the slideshow is in order, not random. Seems like a quick fix, but not sure what to do. My site is www.upthegrovephotography.com

Thank yo!
  • Options
    edited May 5, 2013
    upthegrove wrote: »
    I have a randomized slideshow on my homepage (JFRIEND) and it works fine on my computer but when I view from iphone/ipad, the slideshow is in order, not random. Seems like a quick fix, but not sure what to do. My site is www.upthegrovephotography.com

Thank yo!
    Please don't post the same question in multiple places as it just makes more work for us volunteers. I've responded to you in the other place you posted this question.
    --John
    HomepagePopular