Options

Time to upgrade from my Nikon D80 - your thoughts?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Beginner grinnerPosts: 0 Big grins
edited February 14, 2013 in Cameras
Hey all,

I'm thinking it's time to upgrade from my D80 to something that's a bit newer. I love my D80, but the 10 megapixels and some of the features are a bit limited for what I do today (prints, large format albums, posters, etc.). I'm just an amateur photographer but I do sometimes shoot for work (product or architectural photography), and I do travel a lot as well. I have a few lenses that I want to keep (Sigma 10-20, Nikkor 18-200 and 50mm/1.8) , so I'm sticking with Nikon for the foreseeable future.

I have glanced at a couple of models, but with all the newer tech built into today's SLRs (like flip-out LCD screens, which I don't particularly care for) I don't want to accidentally sacrifice some of the more professional features that I do use on my D80. I always shoot raw and do my own post, so I don't care about cameras that have great optimization options for JPEGs. Though I suppose fun stuff like built-in HDR could come in handy from time to time. It's not a make-or-break feature though.

PRICE: I'm not looking for top of the line; I would love to keep my spend under $1,000 (I spent around $800 on the D80 when new, so I guess I'm looking for today's "equivalent" model, if it exists). I'm open to your suggestions or experiences. Let me know what you think I can get for a used D80 body as well, still in great shape.

Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,871 moderator
    edited February 12, 2013
    I see rather nice images, and some really exemplary images, coming from the Nikon D7000. It's got a very modern imager and image processor, yielding an excellent noise signature, and the AF section seems balanced and suitable for your needs. It will also serve as a pretty good video acquisition tool for short subjects and "indie" work. You will probably want to look for a used D7000 to fit your budget.

The Nikon D90 should probably be mentioned because it appears to be the cap in the Nikon Dxx line. It is a distinct improvement over your D80, while maintaining a similar user layout. It also has a video capability, although video is rather limited compared to the D7000. The D90 lacks an ISO 100, so that may be a consideration in very bright sunlight. New copies are still around and fit your budget.

(Adorama has refurbished copies that would also allow purchase of an external flash and stay within budget.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Beginner grinner Posts: 0 Big grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    ziggy53 wrote: »
    I see rather nice images, and some really exemplary images, coming from the Nikon D7000. It's got a very modern imager and image processor, yielding an excellent noise signature, and the AF section seems balanced and suitable for your needs. It will also serve as a pretty good video acquisition tool for short subjects and "indie" work. You will probably want to look for a used D7000 to fit your budget.

The Nikon D90 should probably be mentioned because it appears to be the cap in the Nikon Dxx line. It is a distinct improvement over your D80, while maintaining a similar user layout. It also has a video capability, although video is rather limited compared to the D7000. The D90 lacks an ISO 100, so that may be a consideration in very bright sunlight. New copies are still around and fit your budget.

(Adorama has refurbished copies that would also allow purchase of an external flash and stay within budget.)

Hey, thanks for the reply. I actually just stumbled upon the D7000 and the D5200. From what I can tell, the 7000 has an advantage in the built-in autofocus motor and the fact that it's weather-sealed (plus the extra battery life). It's definitely in my price range (body is $800 at my local shop). The 16 megapixels leave me wanting a bit, but honestly, I've been happy with 10.2 so I'm sure 16 will be fine :)

Thanks again! Anyone else can feel free to chime in as well.
  • Options
    QarikQarik Registered Users Posts: 4,959 Major grins
    edited February 12, 2013
    Another vote for the D7000. Probably the best bang for your buck in the entire nikon lineup currently.
    D700, D600
    14-24 24-70 70-200mm (vr2)
    85 and 50 1.4
    45 PC and sb910 x2
    http://www.danielkimphotography.com
  • Options
    FLYING EYEBALLFLYING EYEBALL Registered Users Posts: 183 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2013
    A used D90 will run you 450-500...it's a nice step up from the D80.

As long as your D80 is in decent shape you could get 300 or so for it on the used market.

used 35 1.8 150-175 and an 85 1.8 would run you 300-350
  • Options
    Matthew SavilleMatthew Saville Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,352 Major grins
    edited February 14, 2013
    The question is, ...what do you shoot? A D7000 might be the perfect camera for you, however keep in mind that it is in fact the "most likely to be upgraded next" which might put a D8000 replacement around the $1,000 mark. Personally I might be interested in that but depending on what you shoot, a D7000 is probably going to already be more than enough. It is an incredible camera with incredible dynamic range for adventures and landscapes and such.

MY conundrum is this, however: My hobby is landscapes and nature, but my day job is weddings and portraits.

Thus, I am "stuck" using a beat up old D700 and *wishing* I could have a D7000 or a D600 for landscapes and stuff. Or, wondering if Nikon has a DX D400 around the corner, but that kind of new camera would probably be in the range of $1700+ unfortunately.

Overall, I'd say that if you're buying now your best choice is the D7000, however I'd still like to know what your shooting habits and aspirations are before saying that is the best advice...

=Matt=
    My first thought is always of light.” – Galen Rowell
    My SmugMug PortfolioMy Astro-Landscape Photo BlogDgrin Weddings Forum